Keeping Players Around Because "They're Nice Guys"

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We are in the middle of a fight to the death and most of our team is bringing a water pistol to the fight. We have all heard the rumors that players like Ceci, Foegele and Brown were brought in/retained because they get along well with the core. So forget trading these guys unless there was a huge upgrade ie. Barrie for Ekholm on the table. So we let go of a guy like Klim Kostin that would be up in Hughes grill and making sure that Zadorov would answer for his shit. Instead that responsibility falls on Kane, a guy that has had a hernia for much of the year that the team obviously knew about. No RWer with bite because we are tied to the shit can that is Brown's cap carry over and we are getting sunk by the Nurse-Ceci pairing for the 3rd playoffs in a row. Bjugstad and Kostin would be infinitely better in the playoffs for us than Foegele and Brown. Ceci is about as bad as it gets at this point and Nurse is only marginally better. If the players want their guys to stay then they can't expect to win when those same guys continually shit the bed when the going gets tough and the games matter most.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Same applies to nice coaches and nice GM who keeps playing the same players who makes mistakes after mistake, game after game. We got Pickard, Campbell, Carrick, Broberg, Lavoie etc all knocking on doors. What's the point of recalling them if we keeping them hanging.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I
We are in the middle of a fight to the death and most of our team is bringing a water pistol to the fight. We have all heard the rumors that players like Ceci, Foegele and Brown were brought in/retained because they get along well with the core. So forget trading these guys unless there was a huge upgrade ie. Barrie for Ekholm on the table. So we let go of a guy like Klim Kostin that would be up in Hughes grill and making sure that Zadorov would answer for his shit. Instead that responsibility falls on Kane, a guy that has had a hernia for much of the year that the team obviously knew about. No RWer with bite because we are tied to the shit can that is Brown's cap carry over and we are getting sunk by the Nurse-Ceci pairing for the 3rd playoffs in a row. Bjugstad and Kostin would be infinitely better in the playoffs for us than Foegele and Brown. Ceci is about as bad as it gets at this point and Nurse is only marginally better. If the players want their guys to stay then they can't expect to win when those same guys continually shit the bed when the going gets tough and the games matter most.
I think that most of what you are talking about relates back to Holland.

He places a huge premium on "getting along" with others and is very cognizant of locker room relations. He likes to be friends with players.

That's ok to some extent but being a gentleman doesn't make you a success on the ice. Messier, Anderson, Tikannen (and especially Sather behind the bench) would all be examples that come to mind about guys who didn't worry about the nice stuff. You had the gentlemen like Gretzky and Kurri but the mix was more complicated than that.

People's feelings get hurt if they get benched or demoted but its a game where you make 50 times what your average person does so no tears shed for anybody. I might be wrong but I think that's part of the reason that Stu wasn't pulled before he was.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
"Loilty" or some nonsense.

I always come back to a team like Vegas who isn't afraid to hurt feelings in order to win. MAF cost them that series against the Habs back in 2021 and the Knights gave him the boot despite the backlash. Doubt they care now. Vegas would've found a way to introduce Nurse and Ceci to new homes by now. They would've cut bait with the useless bottom six (looking squarely at you Foegele and McLeod), and I fully believe they would've fired other useless organizational members without a second thought.

Just a few off the top of my head but Bob Nicholson is an absolute pustule on this team. Hired two deadbeat GMs because they were his friends as we end up spinning tires forever. Dustin Schwartz has been with the team for more than a decade as we continue to have goaltending problems year after year. The scouts that can't identify talent at any level...

Fitting with this theme is when the team traded Barrie last year despite how beloved he was in the room. Barrie played one lousy game for the Preds in the playoffs, meanwhile Ekholm is far and away our best defenseman. We need more of that and less of the media hobags telling us how "X is good in the room" when that doesn't mean shit. Ceci could cure cancer and that still doesn't make him a good defenseman. Nurse I know does a lot of charity work and is good friends with McDavid and Draisatl but that doesn't justify his continued shitty play in the playoffs.

The Oilers are boy scouts to a fault. "You can't squeeze other GMs" is the prime example of this mindset that the only way to win a Stanley Cup is not take advantage of others. I doubt the Avs care that they totally fleeced the Isles for Devon Toews when they couldn't afford him. But don't worry because we got Duncan Keith to.... well, I don't even know what he did. I'm sure he was fine in the room but that didn't translate on the ice.

I wouldn't go as far to say that the Oilers need to be cold hearted but like... If a player sucks on the ice then he needs to leave. Sorry but winning is more important in sports than maintaining friendships.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
If you only equate "gentlemen" to not fighting, than you'd be correct, but #99 had no issues running up the score and potting 5-6 points in a game. He had a killer instinct that today's Oilers are seriously lacking.
not only that- he was famous back in the day for saying "this is my puck, if you want it you have to take it from me"

Holland actually bragged after the deadline about not having to move a roster player...lol

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I’ve always been against the buddy buddy mentality we seem to have here. I just want a team that goes to war to win. Who cares who’s friends with who off the ice, once your on the ice your fighting for your team

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The "nice guy" BS isn't even as much a concern for personnel for me (although that is a problem too), but more so how the organization conducts itself with the league.

Look across the aisle in this series. If you hooked a lie detector up to Tocchet, he would probably tell you that he knows his team is one of the worst offenders with diving in the NHL, knows that if they lose calls/get held accountable for it the Oilers would roll them, but also knows that by saying something he sets the narrative for the series and plants doubt when a ref sees something that was a dive, but was it a dive? Can't be a dive because Tocchet says he hates diving..... maybe McDavid just dove?

We never do this and I'm f***ing tired of it. It is unfathomable for me that we can get so constantly f***ed by referees, DoPS, etc, etc for no reason other than we are too soft as an organization to stand up for ourselves and call bullshit bullshit. The nice guy "we just put our head down and play hockey over here!" makes us an easy mark. How hard would it be for Knoblauch to say "Tocchet had some concerns with diving before the series saying guys shouldn't get called anymore if they dive, wonder if any of that has changed in light of what we've seen from a few of their key players lately." Puts the onus on him to say something, takes the heat off the team, re-adjusts the focus on the Nucks diving, where it should be. No chance at a fine either. But no, no, that's a little mean.

Every other "contending" team has already played the game within the game to some degree. We just shrug our shoulders and ask whether we should drop our pants to our feet or keep them at the knees.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The Oilers have dominated the last 2 games and had a big lead in 1st game, this is not from a team that is not trying, it's a goaltender who buckles under pressure
Skinner is just another "great dude" that Holland was worried about hurting his feelings at the deadline.

Reactions: iCanada

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Skinner is just another "great dude" that Holland was worried about hurting his feelings at the deadline.
And the Oilers probably would've shitcanned nice guy Holland had McDavid not bailed his ass out a couple years ago.

It's an organizational mentality that friendship is more important than winning. It's why we have such a useless bottom nine, second pairing, and pair of goalies.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really don't think anything like this has happened. If there are upgrades available, we get it. It's just not as easy to make huge changes as we assume, and all teams struggle with it.

Like Ceci for instance. We were ready to ship him out in a trade for Tanev. If we just put Stecher there, be prepared to hate Stecher more than you hate Ceci.

As for playing Skinner, every time it has been because we thought he was giving us the best chance to win on a given night. He is notorious for mixing in good games with bad. I have little doubt that if we lose this round because of him, he is gone or at least reduced to backup

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I really don't think anything like this has happened. If there are upgrades available, we get it. It's just not as easy to make huge changes as we assume, and all teams struggle with it.

Like Ceci for instance. We were ready to ship him out in a trade for Tanev. If we just put Stecher there, be prepared to hate Stecher more than you hate Ceci.
Other teams with GMs getting paid significantly less are able to make this happen. Hell, the team we are playing right now made how many trades throughout the season.

If they truly cared about his feelings, they should consider that he will get torn apart by boos, razzes etc tomorrow on home ice

He absolutely has to sit.
Absolutely. By his own admission, he is mentally struggling right now with the pressure. He is grossly underestimating how much energy it takes to get out of that space. For his own health, he shouldn’t be playing. I also hate when coaches say “we’ll talk to Dusty.” Seriously, what has Schwartz ever accomplished that you need his counsel.

Reactions: guymez

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Holland is Tambellini who was gifted Mcdavid, Draisaitl, and a bunch of Chia draft picks. Nice guy has nothing to do with it, poor management does.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I wish I could see manager meetings over the last 3-4 years. Anyone that casually watches this team could give you a concise list of what we REALLY need (goalie, top4 dman, depth scoring). It’s the same list for Hollands entire tenure, I feel like a decent gm could have solved all of these issues within 3-5 years. Just solve ONE of these issues, get a goalie or that top 4 dman, just pick one.

I’d say 7 of our bottom 9 players are “nice guys”. Kane and Perry are not nice but at times they do too much.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Other teams with GMs getting paid significantly less are able to make this happen. Hell, the team we are playing right now made how many trades throughout the season.
Sure, but this is totally different than not making moves because they like guys because they are nice or fit in too much.

We didn't make these moves because we have no cap space, while a team like Vancouver had tons to spend. So this is more of an incompetence problem, blowing cap on Campbell, etc.

Also the Henrique add was a good one. Just bad luck about the injury. He has what we lack in the depth: play awarenss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad