Confirmed with Link: Keefe hired by Jersey as Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The New Jersey Devils are hiring Sheldon Keefe as their new head coach, reports TSN's Darren Dreger.

He'll join his new team on a four-year deal, which includes the two years still owed to him by the Toronto Maple Leafs, Dreger added. Toronto signed Keefe to a two-year extension in 2023, but it didn't kick in before he was relieved of his duties on May 9.

Keefe spent the last five campaigns as bench boss of the Maple Leafs, amassing a stellar 212-97-40 regular-season record and .665 points percentage. That success didn't carry over into the postseason, though, as Toronto won just one playoff round with Keefe at the helm.

The 43-year-old took over behind the Leafs' bench in November 2019 after the franchise fired Mike Babcock. Keefe inherited a skilled squad featuring a plethora of young, skilled players like Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander.

He's now entering a similar situation in New Jersey, which boasts a roster featuring Jack Hughes, Jesper Bratt, Nico Hischier, and Luke Hughes, who are all 25 years old or younger.

The Devils moved on from Lindy Ruff in March, replacing him with Travis Green on an interim basis. Green went on to fill the Ottawa Senators' coaching vacancy earlier in May.

New Jersey reportedly received permission to speak to Keefe less than two weeks ago.

The Devils missed the playoffs in 2023-24 after ending a four-year postseason drought last spring.

source:

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Good luck Keefe, NJD are a solid team.

Keefe is the NJD coach

Keefe is officially the Devils coach.

So who can we trade to Devils that Keefe likes?

nice keefe
get him a goalie

Wish him well, unlike his former boss, he left the organization with class and his dignity in tact. I think NJ is a playoff team if they can find a goalie. Good fit for him.

Incoming: Kerfoot to Devils

Good luck Keefe.

Good luck Keefe.

I would have made a condition of allowing Keefe to interview for the Devils job is that they have to take Kampf in a trade.

I am sure Keefe is already asking for Kampf.

Holl to NJ ?

I still have a copy of Keefe's old Game Sheets, blank copy.

1716415219432.png

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I'm glad for Keefe.

I didn't think he was a good coach in that he never iced the best lines. His Holl love affair was peculiar, his dressing room speeches were like nails on a chalkboard, and his playing Brodie for Game 4 was inexcusable, but it seemed like the players didn't mind him.

Dubas must be sad after hearing the news.

The Devils look like they will be an exciting team.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Keefe is cup bound before that contract is complete, isn't he?
He is a very good coach.

I'm glad for Keefe.

I didn't think he was a good coach in that he never iced the best lines. His Holl love affair was peculiar, his dressing room speeches were like nails on a chalkboard, and his playing Brodie for Game 4 was inexcusable, but it seemed like the players didn't mind him.

Why would Dubas be sad?

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap and arso40

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm glad for Keefe.

The Devils look like they will be an exciting team.
Devils will play a possession at all costs style during the regular season and their skilled players will excel. Then they will be first round losers. Which is cool if that's what NJ's top brass and ownership wants.

I'll pass. Been there done that.

Reactions: Hotel Mario
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad