Karlsson's speed on EN goal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Do you know any of his weakness / problems? And i don't mean something general like "defense". I mean specific parts of the game he struggles with. For example one of his biggest strength is his ability to "walk the line" in the offensive zone and keep pucks from going out / offside. Can you name one of his biggest weaknesses for me?
Pivoting to his right.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It's funny to me when people point out the Matthews takeaway as evidence that Karlsson is not elite defensively. I guess the standard for Karlsson is to never make a bad defensive play EVER despite playing 30 minutes a game?

I guess that's the new argument people will use against Karlsson since he has shredded every other "argument" to pieces.

But it's not funny when people need to point out an empty net goal as evidence that Karlsson is elite in every way. I guess the standard for Karlsson being great is scoring an empty net goal despite playing 30 minutes a game.

Karlsson is the greatest player ever. No one compares. He shreds every other argument to pieces.

BTW, did anyone see Anisimov's EN last night? It was a beautiful display of skill. He avoided three defenders, received the puck in the slot from Kane, and flicked it into an open net. It was incredible. It was Karlsson like.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
You have to appreciate his effort even though the game was over with 15 seconds left.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
But it's not funny when people need to point out an empty net goal as evidence that Karlsson is elite in every way. I guess the standard for Karlsson being great is scoring an empty net goal despite playing 30 minutes a game.

Karlsson is the greatest player ever. No one compares. He shreds every other argument to pieces.

BTW, did anyone see Anisimov's EN last night? It was a beautiful display of skill. He avoided three defenders, received the puck in the slot from Kane, and flicked it into an open net. It was incredible. It was Karlsson like.

Exaggeration at its finest

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don't know why anyone would bother responding to people who came into this thread to say this is a normal empty netter or that Karlsson sucks defensively or that this isn't thread worthy. Those three categories either have never actually tried playing hockey (or have a very limited understating of it), are trolls or are just haters with an agenda.

The correct response to a thread like this, if you even feel the need to post a response, is something like "huh, nice" and moving on.

People need to stop making EK threads. People are very salty nowadays and can't even appreciate a nice play. Sadly is all about who make the play.

Exactly. This is a hockey message board, it stands to reason that people would want to see impressive displays of athletic skill from hockey players.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
piteus;123345309[B said:
]But it's not funny when people need to point out an empty net goal as evidence that Karlsson is elite in every way. [/B]I guess the standard for Karlsson being great is scoring an empty net goal despite playing 30 minutes a game.

Why do you think that? This thread was created to show hockey fans who enjoy rare,nice plays, a rare nice play.

Whos arguing anything until you guys come in to bash him because you can't appreciate good hockey plays?

Why do you click in a thread showing off a nice play thinking it means you need to argue against it?

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Guys that play was amazing. The little hesitation before chipping it ahead, then fighting off Domi who isn't the strongest but definitely one of the fastest. Using one foot to kick it to himself.. you never played hockey if you don't appreciate that.

Defensively, he's not as elite as his offense. Probably because he uses his speed to get him out of trouble whereas sound defensemen who don't have his speed, are more calculating because they have to be. Hopefully EK evolves in that area.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
His pivots are still an issue

No they aren't. I didn't see his pivots effecting him negatively at the end of last year, during the world cup, during preseason, or during the start of this season so far. When was the last time you saw him struggling pivoting? Any recent video of him failing to pivot properly resulting in a goal against? His pivots are fine unless you're letting your memory be effected by 2013 or 2014 where it actually was an issue.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
All I said was that Erik Karlsson is the Peter Best of hockey. People don't like to acknowledge Peter Best was the fifth Beatle. In hockey, people don't like to acknowledge Erik Karlsson is the fourth forward.

The statement implied EK likes to attack the goal, takes risks, and has forward skills. However, his followers took it as an affront to hockey ... even though I clearly stated Karlsson is a great offensive player who takes risks. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out. And when I merely said that Karlsson had defensive deficiencies, his fans looked to torch my village.

And yes, I'm guilty as charged. I did find it funny that people used an empty net goal to show Karlsson's greatness. Yes ... an empty net goal when the game was already decided ... in a regular season game. Imagine if Karlsson makes a clearing pass in the playoffs. We'd break the internet. We already know Karlsson's good. We know he's fast. We know he can score an EN. I'm sorry if I didn't just stick to describing an EN goal if this was the real purpose of this thread.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
No they aren't. I didn't see his pivots effecting him negatively at the end of last year, during the world cup, during preseason, or during the start of this season so far. When was the last time you saw him struggling pivoting? Any recent video of him failing to pivot properly resulting in a goal against? His pivots are fine unless you're letting your memory be effected by 2013 or 2014 where it actually was an issue.

Just because it didn't result in a goal against doesn't mean it's not an issue. I'd say it's one of his biggest weaknesses

His pivots are still noticeable.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
All I said was that Erik Karlsson is the Peter Best of hockey. People don't like to acknowledge Peter Best was the fifth Beatle. In hockey, people don't like to acknowledge Erik Karlsson is the fourth forward.

The statement implied EK likes to attack the goal, takes risks, and has forward skills.
However, his followers took it as an affront to hockey ... even though I clearly stated Karlsson is a great offensive player who takes risks. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that out. And when I merely said that Karlsson had defensive deficiencies, his fans looked to torch my village.

And yes, I'm guilty as charged. I did find it funny that people used an empty net goal to show Karlsson's greatness. Yes ... an empty net goal when the game was already decided ... in a regular season game. Imagine if Karlsson makes a clearing pass in the playoffs. We'd break the internet. We already know Karlsson's good. We know his fast. We know he can score an EN. I'm sorry if I didn't just stick to describing an EN goal if this was the real purpose of this thread.

That definition applies to any defenseman with elite offense. You don't think Bobby Orr attacked the goal, took risks, and had forward skills? Same with bourque. Coffee. Lindstrom. Etc. I've seen all of them with good offensive skills,attack the net, and take chances. That doesn't give you the right to call them 4th forwards.

Being good at producing offense from the back end doesn't mean you should play forward. If this was a good strategy, teams would take their top scoring defenseman from previous years and convert them to forward. But they dont do this. can you tell me why not? :popcorn:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just because it didn't result in a goal against doesn't mean it's not an issue. I'd say it's one of his biggest weaknesses

His pivots are still noticeable.

Not anymore. If you paid attention over the past...say calendar year, you'd notice a significant improvement to the point where it isn't close to a weakness this year.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Not anymore. If you paid attention over the past...say calendar year, you'd notice a significant improvement to the point where it isn't close to a weakness this year.

It may have improved a bit, it's still a weakness though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That definition applies to any defenseman with elite offense. You don't think Bobby Orr attacked the goal, took risks, and had forward skills? Same with bourque. Coffee. Lindstrom. Etc. I've seen all of them with good offensive skills,attack the net, and take chances. That doesn't give you the right to call them 4th forwards.

Being good at producing offense from the back end doesn't mean you should play forward. If this was a good strategy, teams would take their top scoring defenseman from previous years and convert them to forward. But they dont do this. can you tell me why not? :popcorn:

And being compared to Coffey and Orr is a bad thing? And yes, a lot of people described them as 4th forwards. Bobby Orr revolutionized the game.

Maybe Ottawa should change their strategy. Supposedly, they had the best defensemen EVER and still didn't make the playoffs. And that doesn't imply Karlsson is a loser. It implies Ottawa's strategy didn't work for 8th place in their conference.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Great block to start the play too. He looks like pre Matt Cooke karlsson right now, it's beautiful to watch.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This thread is about karlsson's speed and play on that EN goal. I don't know why so many are ******** over his 'defensive game' or his lack of somehow not'leading a team to a cup'

just enjoy the play

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
For the record, the reason he went "all out" on the EN goal is that makes him the all-time goal leader for Ottawa d-men. I don't think he was trying to pad stats...although stat padders usually don't block shots like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad