Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Dorions done a poor job in his own right, but the 20-25 mil less we have to spend on the roster, plus Yzerman getting generous discounts because of the tax situation, plus playing in a desirable FA destination gives Yzerman a big time advantage over Dorion. Not defending a lot of Dorions moves otherwise, but those are huge plusses for Yzerman.
I think the last meaningful free agent Yzerman signed was Stralman who the Sens should have been all over. The Senators do have a budget but why can’t Dorion spend his limited funds wisely instead of overpaying for mediocre to awful players? Stamkos has been surrounded with talent like Kucherov,Point etc while Karlsson is carrying around Oduya and Boroweicki lol.

Also, I read somewhere that players pay a blended tax rate since they’re playing away games for half the season. Could be wrong tho.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
This is Ottawa. Goals and points mean nothing. Leaders bring intangibles. Why else do you think Spezza was driven out of town but an infinitely less skilled Mike Fisher is so loved?

1) Fisher did not turn the puck over nearly as often or in crucial moments as Spezza did
2) Fisher played defense, went in corners to fetch the puck, and hustled 100% of the time

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I've seen tons of players out at the bars and around town over the years. I'm always surprised that they aren't bigger, lol. Kyle Turris looked like a strong breeze would carry him away.

I agree 100%.
I met KT, a few times, as he was my nephew's neighbour, and I was amazed at how slight he was, and wondered how in the he11 he could ever stand up to the constant physical punishment he was taking in the playoffs that year.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'm just sad about how little we got for Mike Hoffman. We honestly could have done better. He was the surprise late rounder that panned out big time for us. The fact that he didn't net us a great return, coupled with the fact that we never won a cup with him, means it's all a WASTE.

I really don't think so. We got essentially the same value-wise as what SJ got for him.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I'm just sad about how little we got for Mike Hoffman. We honestly could have done better. He was the surprise late rounder that panned out big time for us. The fact that he didn't net us a great return, coupled with the fact that we never won a cup with him, means it's all a WASTE.
Well, not entirely... all things considered, and if everything is true, we found out that Hoffman is going to marry the devil.

Reactions: Cosmix

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Yes, Kessel was 'the' key factor to that team... suuuure. It doesn't even pass the smell test in the least. Go ahead, tell people "Kessel led the Penguins to two Stanley Cups". He's a great player, but Crosby and Malkin are far more valuable to that team and without them Kessel would lead them nowhere.

Right on cue.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yzerman retained both players and surrounded them with talent. Has Dorion surrounded Karlsson with talent?

the kind of talent that wins cups? no. but let's be clear about it. look at the rosters of cup winners. go back 30 years. go back 40 years. you might find 2 or 3 winners that didn't have at least 2 Hof calibre players in their prime. We aren't going to acquire an HoF calibre player via trade nor are we likely to acquire one via the ufa market. Look at the rosters. The names don't lie. Study them. who won the final. who lost. There are lots of SF losers without those 2 players.

So where exactly do we get one ? don't bitch and complain....give me a credible means through which we get one.

we haven't been bad enough to draft in the top slots and drafting where we have drafted is not likely to produce that calibe of player.

the point is this...and let me be really really clear....without those multiple HoF calibre players in their prime you have virtually no chance....we've had one such player....not two....lots of teams have one and can't win...and you can't just acquire them so your point about surrounding them with players is really BS imo. You need the 2 HoFers first.

SY might well have 3 HoF calibre players in their prime right now....and with that kind of hand it's arguably a far bigger failure to have not won yet than any criticism of the local mgmt team

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the last meaningful free agent Yzerman signed was Stralman who the Sens should have been all over. The Senators do have a budget but why can’t Dorion spend his limited funds wisely instead of overpaying for mediocre to awful players? Stamkos has been surrounded with talent like Kucherov,Point etc while Karlsson is carrying around Oduya and Boroweicki lol.

Also, I read somewhere that players pay a blended tax rate since they’re playing away games for half the season. Could be wrong tho.

you are right on the blended rate. they pay tax on the location where they earn the money

Reactions: BigRig4

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
the kind of talent that wins cups? no. but let's be clear about it. look at the rosters of cup winners. go back 30 years. go back 40 years. you might find 2 or 3 winners that didn't have at least 2 Hof calibre players in their prime. We aren't going to acquire an HoF calibre player via trade nor are we likely to acquire one via the ufa market. Look at the rosters. The names don't lie. Study them. who won the final. who lost. There are lots of SF losers without those 2 players.

So where exactly do we get one ? don't ***** and complain....give me a credible means through which we get one.

we haven't been bad enough to draft in the top slots and drafting where we have drafted is not likely to produce that calibe of player.

the point is this...and let me be really really clear....without those multiple HoF calibre players in their prime you have virtually no chance....we've had one such player....not two....lots of teams have one and can't win...and you can't just acquire them so your point about surrounding them with players is really BS imo. You need the 2 HoFers first.

SY might well have 3 HoF calibre players in their prime right now....and with that kind of hand it's arguably a far bigger failure to have not won yet than any criticism of the local mgmt team
Yzerman hasn’t been given a good hand with Stamkos and Hedman being lottery picks, I agree. But, having two guys isn’t going to make you successful. Tampa made it to the eastern conference finals game 7 without Stamkos playing a single game until then. Imagine what the Sens would do in the playoffs without Karlsson.

What talent has the Sens got after Karlsson’s contract extension? Not a lot I can tell you that. Stone and Duchene? That it. Compare that to Kucherov,Palat,Johnson,McDonagh and Point.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
you are right on the blended rate. they pay tax on the location where they earn the money

Good point.

I found these informative articles that go into a little more detail ......... instead of a blended rate, they call it a Jock Tax, and there are different rules for players in Canada, and those based in the USA.

Interesting point about how signing bonuses are taxed.

NHL Players’ Salaries Shrink by Millions After Taxes

Taxes: Cost Of Being A Professional Athlete

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
But... I mean.. he IS Steve Yzerman.

And we do have... Pierre Dorion

In all fairness, PD in his first year as GM took a bubble team to within a lucky bounce from the finals. In my opinion most of the board opinions are a tad dramatic to say the least.

What we have always needed since the very beginning was a GM that had the boldness to make moves to serve his vision to win. If it fails, fine, but we've languished for too long with GMs that just couldn't make the big deal to get us over the hump. PD obviously has financial limitations, but he's obviously has a goal. If it fails we'll all judge, but it's a tad early in my opinion (but I have liked several of his trades and such, though not all).

Our organization has a fine GM, we need more employees, and a new owner.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yzerman hasn’t been given a good hand with Stamkos and Hedman being lottery picks, I agree. But, having two guys isn’t going to make you successful. Tampa made it to the eastern conference finals game 7 without Stamkos playing a single game until then. Imagine what the Sens would do in the playoffs without Karlsson.

What talent has the Sens got after Karlsson’s contract extension? Not a lot I can tell you that. Stone and Duchene? That it. Compare that to Kucherov,Palat,Johnson,McDonagh and Point.

without that second HoF caliber player? not much. but that is my point isn't it.

you still have not addressed the point. you can criticize about all the things we did not do but without hitting on a draft pick to give us two HoF calibre players we, or any other team without two or more such players, have virtually no chance to win. we can make the playoffs here and there. have good years and bad. but win? no chance.

Maybe EK re-signs and Chabot becomes such a player. Then we're in the game for probably 5 seasons before EK's prime starts to run out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I get your point but did you just compare Karlsson’s impact to Stamkos? Come on...

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

*reply to Romans12_12*
Yet amazingly, fewer turnovers and more hustle negates a whopping 339 difference in points.
With the Sens:
Spezza: 686GP, 687pts
Fisher: 675GP, 348pts

Never change, Sens fans! Who needs points when you can get pucks in corners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad