Line Combos: Kapanen with Matthews

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Kadri needs Marner no doubt, I wonder how many pts Kadri has had the last two years are directly attributed to Marner's genius. It's certainly apparent that Kadri doesn't make his wingers better by playing with him.
He had something like one secondary assist on a Komarov goal, none with Connor Brown.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If you can find players like Hyman or Kaps to find chemistry on the top lines, you go for it.
Really a line like Leivo/Kadri/C.Brown has no line-driver on it and the ability to move
a Nylander or Marner down to that level bring magic everywhere.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not much to go by at the moment, but so far, so good. Have to see when Nylander returns to further evaluate and maybe if Nylander needs some time to get back up to speed.

Last edited:

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If you can find players like Hyman or Kaps to find chemistry on the top lines, you go for it.
Really a line like Leivo/Kadri/C.Brown has no line-driver on it and the ability to move
a Nylander or Marner down to that level bring magic everywhere.

Johnsson should be moved up depending on which one of Leivo or Brown are playing bad. Kadri clearly needs someone like him on his line.

As far as Kap goes, I've been saying this for AGES going back to putting trash bucket Komarov over him in the first two games which cost us.

Fun fact:

Babcock played KOMAROV on the 1st line during the playoffs last year (Komarov promptly took a too many men penalty that put us down 2-0 in the 2nd game and we got rolled after that), so his delusions about gritty plug vets run DEEP

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Marner can certainly carry an anchor like Hyman with ease. Nylander, his dad and his brother all 3 together can’t and won’t be able to carry Hyman.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ennis might be a useful 4th liner. even a 3rd liner in a pinch.

playing him on the top line was just stubborn stupidity, when we have so much younger talent to play there instead.

once again babs putting his ego ahead of icing the best team.

Zeneca, come on man, 2.5 games does not define stubborn stupidity. We won’t see a final/majority lineup until Nylander signs. It’s a work in progress.

Reactions: Zrinski

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
each line has a winger to help drive the offense, at least all the good lines anyways...marner does it for his line, nylander his, jvr last year for his

with leivo and brown on the 3rd line, i mean leivo isnt good enough at all to be the best offensive winger on your line to help your center with the offense

we will have more than enough offense on the top 2 lines, we gotta do something about the kadri line cause we all know you need 3 lines going every night, maybe try kappy on 3rd line

Reactions: Leafling

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
each line has a winger to help drive the offense, at least all the good lines anyways...marner does it for his line, nylander his, jvr last year for his

with leivo and brown on the 3rd line, i mean leivo isnt good enough at all to be the best offensive winger on your line to help your center with the offense

we will have more than enough offense on the top 2 lines, we gotta do something about the kadri line cause we all know you need 3 lines going every night, maybe try kappy on 3rd line
Kappy should definitely be on the third line and I'd try AJ as well to try and get him going

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Or when Nylander comes back you play Nylander or Kappy on their off wing and the other at RW for Matthews and drop Patty down

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Kappy should definitely be on the third line and I'd try AJ as well to try and get him going

Just put Johnsson there, Brown and Leivo have been very underwhelming so far, Babs can figure which one he wants to demote.

Kapanen needs his shot at prime time, let's see what the kid has and yeah he'll kinda get it with Naz, but we all know Naz is great, he doesn't need to be something amazing this year, I want to see just HOW good Auston can be this year and if he's stuck with Ennis, it'll be his rookie and 2nd year all over again.

Or when Nylander comes back you play Nylander or Kappy on their off wing and the other at RW for Matthews and drop Patty down

This would be amazing

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander

FUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Do you guys remember when everyone thought Kapanen was a fourth liner speester with no hands nor finish? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

He's a speedy, skilled winger who can finish. He's not elite with his vision, shot nor hands but he's very, very good at all of those things.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Do you guys remember when everyone thought Kapanen was a fourth liner speester with no hands nor finish? LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

He's a speedy, skilled winger who can finish. He's not elite with his vision, shot nor hands but he's very, very good at all of those things.
Always been one of my favourites, gotta love a clutch player, and you definitely have to love a Finn so Kappy's just a good ol' lovable clutch finlander.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There are a few things we could do. Depending on when Nylander comes back and if the Leafs landed Nash (we've apparently been talking to him, Vegas too)

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nash
Johnsson-Lindholm-Brown

If Kapanen can't transition to LW

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Brown

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel Ward

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Johnsson should be moved up depending on which one of Leivo or Brown are playing bad. Kadri clearly needs someone like him on his line.

As far as Kap goes, I've been saying this for AGES going back to putting trash bucket Komarov over him in the first two games which cost us.

Fun fact:

Babcock played KOMAROV on the 1st line during the playoffs last year (Komarov promptly took a too many men penalty that put us down 2-0 in the 2nd game and we got rolled after that), so his delusions about gritty plug vets run DEEP

This.

People forget that Kappy was a point per game player in the AHL at 20 years old. This isn't just your average 22 year old that is interchangable with Ennis.

I don't like how Babcock places his young upcoming talent on the 4th line i.e.: Kapanen, Marner and now Johnsson. They weren't called up to be 4th line checkers. They progressed through the system to be effective point producing wingers.

Player confidence is so important, and the mental part of the game is so important. If you study success; upward spiral of success vs downward spiral of success is a huge indicator of future indication of performance. The mental element in sports is huge. You see it all the time. When players get off to bad starts; sometimes they never re-cover i.e.: David Clarkson. You see it all the time in sports. I can give countless examples of this.

I don't see how playing Johnsson or Kapanen for a few games in the top 9 with our stars would be a bad thing. Get there confidence going. Get them in that upward trajectory of success. Get there confidence up.

Your second point where you're discussing how Komorav would get minutes over Kapanen; this also concerns me. His thinking and preference for veterans could lead to Ennis back in the top 9. I really hope he lets Kapanen work though the growing pain and doesn't yank him after a few turnovers.

Last edited:

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Kadri needs Marner no doubt, I wonder how many pts Kadri has had the last two years are directly attributed to Marner's genius. It's certainly apparent that Kadri doesn't make his wingers better by playing with him.

LOL 2 years? i think marner played with kadri for like half of last season... And that too because they both were struggling to produce any points

They were just crazy good together because both are extremely skilled players. Wether they play together or not they are both key members of this team.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
Ugh just give me this Babs pleaseeeee

Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnson-Kadri-Hyman
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

Third line looks weak here but those are seriously good top two lines, maybe switch hyman with marleau.

Or
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnson-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Kadri-Nylander
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

Reactions: Boutette

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Give me Kapanen all day every day over the floater Nylander. Love his motor and also has a knack for scoring at big time moments. I have said for months that he can replace Nylander on that line. Can’t wait to see it happen.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Almost no choice than to move Kapanen up. We'll see if really is a top six forward if he continues to get quality time with Matthews.
I can see it now, Nylander sits out all year. Kapanen scores 20 goals, 40 assists and then next summer he wants 8m on his RFA contract.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Oh I get it, you're pretending that you get to formulate everyone else's opinion.

Bottom line is I don't really care who our "best" player is, I'm glad we have the players we have. I do find it rather comical how some people think they get to made these type of declarations for everyone else.

Matthews is BY FAR the best player on the Leafs. Considering his age and talent level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad