Kansas City still looking for team?

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Winnipeg has the potential to be the Green Bay of the NHL, albeit under the ownership model that the San Jose Sharks use (multiple revenue streams spanning multiple industries).

When it comes to hockey, Winnipeg already outdraws places like Cleveland, Houston, Charlotte, Milwaukee, and Oklahoma City. Those cities all have AHL hockey. Not saying Winnipeg would be #1 in gate revenue or attendance in the NHL... They will finish ahead of some teams in attendance, even though they'd have the smallest building in the league... and going by the gate revenue numbers that the Toronto Star put out a few years back, Winnipeg would likely be in the top 10 in that category.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I've never seen any evidence to support that. Not saying it might not be true, but you're making the claim, so do you have anything to back it up?

St. Louis, the across state city, has only the NHL, so a team in Kansas City could set up a potentially good rivalry, something that wouldn't be the case with the NBA.

That said, I'm just not sure that the KC market can well support another major league team, be it the NHL or the NBA. I think there are other better potential markets in the US... Portland, Seattle, Tulsa, Omaha, Houston, Hampton Roads... Of course some of those aren't arena-ready, and most of the others aren't currently advertising to get a team. But then, who has stepped up to own a team in KC?
The Guy and his 800 supporters in the OP.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I've never seen any evidence to support that. Not saying it might not be true, but you're making the claim, so do you have anything to back it up?

St. Louis, the across state city, has only the NHL, so a team in Kansas City could set up a potentially good rivalry, something that wouldn't be the case with the NBA.

That said, I'm just not sure that the KC market can well support another major league team, be it the NHL or the NBA. I think there are other better potential markets in the US... Portland, Seattle, Tulsa, Omaha, Houston, Hampton Roads... Of course some of those aren't arena-ready, and most of the others aren't currently advertising to get a team. But then, who has stepped up to own a team in KC?
Norfolk
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-arena-vabeach-reject-tuesday,0,4451201.story

Other stuff there for you.:)

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The Guy and his 800 supporters in the OP.

Is that to say that there are 8000 supporters somewhere in KC who want to bring the NBA there? Hey, I never claimed that KC was a hockey town, I just said that I've never seen any evidence that it was any more a basketball town either.

Hey, thanks for the link. Interesting read, though a slight lean towards the NBA, the idea is apparently open to whoever might wish to come there, NBA or NHL.

Though I've always mentioned the Hampton Roads area as a potential for the NHL, truly I'd wish that the NHL would look west of the ETZ. That said, Hampton Roads and Quebec City (also Hamilton if MLSE would allow it) are probably the only eastern locations with real potential.

Last edited:

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Lets look at this from business point of view which cities could the NHL. relocate or expand to where they can profit the most from .

1. Hamilton
2. Seattle
3. Winnipeg
4. Portland
5. Quebec City
6. Kansas City
7. Houston
8. Salt Lake City

All in that order

Cities most likely to get NHL. teams ethier by relocation or expansion .

Winnipeg
Hamilton
Kansas City
Houston
Quebec City

Not in exact order

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Is that to say that there are 8000 supporters somewhere in KC who want to bring the NBA there? Hey, I never claimed that KC was a hockey town, I just said that I've never seen any evidence that it was any more a basketball town either.

I agree Kansas City sits right in the middle of Basketball country & would rathier have NBA. team than an NHL. team .

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
No 800 to bring the NHL.

JMROWE, if Bettman stops winnipeg then what makes you think he will consider Hamilton.

Dado

It is only logical that Ontario have the same number of teams as Missouri.

Expand to KC, now!

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Hey, thanks for the link. Interesting read, though a slight lean towards the NBA, the idea is apparently open to whoever might wish to come there, NBA or NHL.

Though I've always mentioned the Hampton Roads area as a potential for the NHL, truly I'd wish that the NHL would look west of the ETZ. That said, Hampton Roads and Quebec City (also Hamilton if MLSE would allow it) are probably the only eastern locations with real potential.
Norfolk probably wants to get on the map, But I wonder if Carolina will fight it.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I agree Kansas City sits right in the middle of Basketball country & would rathier have NBA. team than an NHL. team .

Hmmm... interesting observation. Let's see...

The NBA is in OKC, Denver, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Memphis.
The NHL is in St. Louis, Denver, Dallas, Minnesota, Chicago, Columbus, and Nashville.

Yes, it does seem to be slightly more surrounded by the NBA, but St. Louis being NHL is a significant point.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Winnipeg has the potential to be the Green Bay of the NHL, albeit under the ownership model that the San Jose Sharks use (multiple revenue streams spanning multiple industries).

When it comes to hockey, Winnipeg already outdraws places like Cleveland, Houston, Charlotte, Milwaukee, and Oklahoma City. Those cities all have AHL hockey. Not saying Winnipeg would be #1 in gate revenue or attendance in the NHL... They will finish ahead of some teams in attendance, even though they'd have the smallest building in the league... and going by the gate revenue numbers that the Toronto Star put out a few years back, Winnipeg would likely be in the top 10 in that category.

All of those other cities have to compete with multiple sports as well. When it comes down to it, most people would rather watch major league teams no matter what the sport. Winnipeg has the Blue Bombers but they play mostly in summer when the Moose don't. Cleveland has the Browns and Cavs to compete with the Monsters, Houston has the Texans and Rockets plus colleges like Rice and Houston, Charlotte has the Bobcats, Panthers with an NHL team a few hours away and colleges like Duke, UNC and Wake Forest a couple hours away, Milwaukee has the Bucks, Packers, Marquette basketball, Wisconsin football, basketball and hockey and Oklahoma City has the Thunder playing at the same time as the Barons.

Also, speaking for the Admirals the team used to draw an average of over 9,000 in the early-mid 90s. In the first 14 years of the Bradley Center they never averaged less than 6,000 a game and averaged nearly 10,000 in 94-95. Then the owner of the team died and ownership of the team was a trust that had a limited budget for marketing as attendance dipped under 5,000. Harris Turer bought the team and attendance has risen back in to the 5,500-6,000 range.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Norfolk probably wants to get on the map, But I wonder if Carolina will fight it.

Carolina couldn't care less if the NHL put a team in Norfolk.

Washington, however, would.

EDIT: I presume this because Washington's games are broadcast there. Carolina is broadcast in North and South Carolina (the scant hockey fans in SC are split between the Hurricanes and Thrashers).

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Carolina couldn't care less if the NHL put a team in Norfolk.

Washington, however, would.

EDIT: I presume this because Washington's games are broadcast there. Carolina is broadcast in North and South Carolina (the scant hockey fans in SC are split between the Hurricanes and Thrashers).
DC has control. I see. SO it would basically Milwaukee and Chicago all over again.

Dado

Thank you. Your example nicely illustrates even further the absurdity of putting another team in Missouri before both Ontario AND Alberta get additional teams.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
-htpwn.

Right now Quebec has only Junior Hockey and Winnipeg has the AHL and CFL. So yes they are minor league.

I think you missed my point. Just because a city has an NFL and MLB team does not make it a major center and it certainly doesn't determine if a city can support an NHL franchise. In fact, it may work against the market due to increased competition over entertainment dollars in a relatively modest market.

You never hear "we need these teams for city pride" in NY, LA, Chi or even DC.

Well, we did hear it in everyone's favorite saga... one of the reasons we were told it was so important to keep the Coyotes is because apparently there is a certain prestige to Phoenix having a franchise in each of the 'Big 4.'

Scares me.:laugh:

We are playing a word association game, right?;)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I think you missed my point. Just because a city has an NFL and MLB team does not make it a major center and it certainly doesn't determine if a city can support an NHL franchise. In fact, it may work against the market due to increased competition over entertainment dollars in a relatively modest market.

Well, we did hear it in everyone's favorite saga... one of the reasons we were told it was so important to keep the Coyotes is because apparently there is a certain prestige to Phoenix having a franchise in each of the 'Big 4.'

Scares me.:laugh:

We are playing a word association game, right?;)
True. As Pittsburgh and Cleveland are not hotspots right now. Besides that though the NFL>NHL in popularity so it might hurt.
As for city pride, I would agree about the prestige of the big4. That is why some of us are pushing for the NFL in TO I guess.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In KC's case you would be competing with college hoops as well. Does anyone think that a hockey team's playoff push would get more local attention than March Madness?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Lets look at this from business point of view which cities could the NHL. relocate or expand to where they can profit the most from .

1. Hamilton
2. Seattle
3. Winnipeg
4. Portland
5. Quebec City
6. Kansas City
7. Houston
8. Salt Lake City

All in that order

Cities most likely to get NHL. teams ethier by relocation or expansion .

Winnipeg
Hamilton
Kansas City
Houston
Quebec City

Not in exact order

not
sure
if
serious
:help:

badinsults

TWO WEEKS
Mar 15, 2011
Canberra, Australia
There is always this population argument. As far as sports, look what is going on in the respective cities:

Kansas City (population about 2.2 million)
- Royals
- Chiefs
- Sporting (MLS)
- Various college sports (I'm assuming)
- other minor sports

Winnipeg (population about 750,000)
- Blue Bombers
- Goldeyes (KC has an American Association team too)

So there we go, even though KC has three times the population of Winnipeg (and keep in mind here, I am only using Winnipeg as an example, as they are cited as most likely to receive a franchise), the sheer level of competition in KC might mean there is less money available to support a new sports franchise. Couple this with the fact that there is already rabid fanbases in cities like Winnipeg, and KC would likely need heavy promotion to build one, I can't see how KC would even be considered a contender for an NHL team at this juncture.

Last edited:

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
Population <> hockey fan population.

If Winnipeg and Quebec have 50% of their population willing to use their cash to buy tickets, how much % they have in Kansas, Phoenix, Atlanta?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad