Proposal: Kane & Murphy to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Lmao I wish the Leafs were that hilariously dumb. Marner is worth more than Kane let alone giving up all that on top of him.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The concept of a Marner <-> Kane swap is interesting, but the value in the OP is ridiculously far off base.

If you wanted to make it a 1-for-1 swap, the Hawks are probably retaining on Kane by $1-2m, given that he's the short-sighted move with limited upside, whereas Marner, with 2 more years left on his deal.

It's debatable whether moving Marner for Kane makes the team better today in isolation, and I don't think $500k in salary difference goes far enough to justify giving up the long term Marner.

From there, figure out what's reasonable value for Conor Murphy... to me that's Justin Holl + a 2nd & 3rd kind of valuation.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Wtf is this????
First given the allegations against the 2010 Blackhawks no chance the Leafs want anyone from that team.

2nd the difference between Marner and Kane isn’t our top prospect, 2 firsts and 2 2nds. Given their age I’d say Marner has more trade value despite his production in the playoffs the last 2 seasons.
Yes I know Connor Murphy is in there too but come on. 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and our top prospect.

3rd. Is the solution to our roster being 2 top heavy trading for an older player that also makes 10m?

Brutal poor thought out trade.
given Kane's past, these allegations are what you have a problem with?

but do agree this is massively bad for TOR. maybe take the picks out

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
and he's still better than Marner

Kane is a pylon defensively. When you look at his offensive numbers you also have to subtract the goals against he was apart of

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Let me see if I can make a Marner to CHI work
Marner for DeBrincat+Kubalik?

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
My wish is for the leafs to make it past the first round and I Genuinely think Kane will provide that.
I'd like them to make it past the 1st round too but not at the potential expense of getting any high end future help on elc's which would be solid gold for Toronto. They've squandered too much future potential already yet you have them doubling/tripling down on past mistakes/overvaluations. Let them prove they can close out a series or two and get close first.
Way too heavy a price for what currently is little more than a darkhorse to win a cup.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'll echo what others have already said and say that this isn't something I'd consider from Toronto's perspective... even without retention on Marner's contract

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If the Leafs wanted to move on from Marner, and Chicago was interested...

To Toronto: Kane (50% retained), Murphy

To Chicago: Marner

Even then, that seems a bit shortsighted given Marner's upside

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Wow this is a Hard no.

We are talking a Star player for a Star player that's almost a decade younger, PLUS arguably our best prospect, PLUS 2 1sts AND 2 2nds? AND Retention?? And all you adding in is Murphy?

Even putting Kane's character aside that's ridiculous. I honestly had though a Kane-Marner deal might make sense since Toronto is "going for it", but given the age difference and other issues i'd probably ask for an add to Kane or some retention...definitely not adding several parts

There is absolutely no debate, given the age differences Marner is the more valued trade commodity.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
given Kane's past, these allegations are what you have a problem with?

but do agree this is massively bad for TOR. maybe take the picks out
Well the value in the proposal is completely ludicrous.
But besides that I want no part of Kane because of his roll in bullying a victim of sexual assault. Even tho he hasn’t been personally implicated as one of the players making homophobic comments he was part of the leadership group that allowed it to happen. Instead he has denied all knowledge of the situation despite other players saying everyone knew.

Now he has every right to continue his career without discipline as there has been no direct evidence of wrongdoing on his part. But that doesn’t mean I or the Leafs would want any part of his services.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Kane is better than Marner. Age is redundant here, guys like Ovechkin are leading the league in points.
No, age is never "redundant." I think you're confusing redundancy and relevance.

It would be good to know what the words you use actually mean. That would give your argument a bit more weight.

If you meant to say that age is not relevant here, then you're still mistaken. While age is just not capable of being redundant, it is always relevant.

Offering a 22 year old Marmer plus plus for a 32year old Kane is a non-starter for the Leafs. Switch the ages and that changes things around.

No thanks from this Leafs' fan.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Well the value in the proposal is completely ludicrous.
But besides that I want no part of Kane because of his roll in bullying a victim of sexual assault. Even tho he hasn’t been personally implicated as one of the players making homophobic comments he was part of the leadership group that allowed it to happen. Instead he has denied all knowledge of the situation despite other players saying everyone knew.

Now he has every right to continue his career without discipline as there has been no direct evidence of wrongdoing on his part. But that doesn’t mean I or the Leafs would want any part of his services.
Kane has never shown any hints of having positive character, so that shouldn't be surprising lol

but talent wise, it would be a good get for TOR and would add a guy that's been there, done that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad