Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
This is a really bad way to look at a draft. There were valid reasons why 20-ish other teams passed on him on draft day. There were question marks that on the day made sense.
Yea I know, like how raw he was and that it was a deep draft. That’s why I said looking back. But even back then I thought he was a steal. He seemed like the type of player that GMs love.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
First game I thought he was pretty bad (as most of the team, but he was super nervous). This game was MUCH better. First period he was a little timid again but as the game went on you could really see him getting more confidence.

Some of his passes have been god awful, if I have to nitpick one thing it would be that, but again it's comes with the nerves. I'm excited to see how he looks by the end of the season..

Johnson should never be playing more than him in a game..

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Poster PB is going to look like a doofus on this one.
upload_2021-1-17_1-11-32.jpeg

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yea I know, like how raw he was and that it was a deep draft. That’s why I said looking back. But even back then I thought he was a steal. He seemed like the type of player that GMs love.

I was in the building in Dallas and when the Rangers traded up, everyone had a feeling it was for a defenseman because they leapfrogged Anaheim, a team known for being good at drafting defenseman. Initially I thought it'd be Sandin but Miller being the pick was exciting.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The kid is a cornerstone.

Really liked his game yesterday.

One thing, it’s important to remember that in terms of evening out your game, learning all this-might-work-elsewhere-but-not-in-the-NHL-stuff, just takes time.

Miller is still really young. He is big and hence not super mobile (see: law of physics). My point is just, be prepared for it, he will cost us goals against. He will end up in embarrassing spots. And it will get a lot better with time if we give it to him.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
He’s gonna make a lot of stupid plays because he’s still really uncertain with the puck. But if he can be paired with a puck mover they’ll be in a good place.

Probably no one benefitted from a blowout more than Miller. Got to play a lot in that 3rd period.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s gonna make a lot of stupid plays because he’s still really uncertain with the puck. But if he can be paired with a puck mover they’ll be in a good place.

Probably no one benefitted from a blowout more than Miller. Got to play a lot in that 3rd period.
Yea honestly just keep throwing him out there for experience and I’m not upset if he eventually gets some AHL time. He’s gonna be good just get him minutes somewhere All year

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Look all we have to do is ask the Ducks which defenseman they like before every draft and we good.
I know he is gonna have his up and downs but the attitude and skill is there. This kid can be a tremendous top 4 dman with size.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

One thing, it’s important to remember that in terms of evening out your game, learning all this-might-work-elsewhere-but-not-in-the-NHL-stuff, just takes time.

Miller is still really young. He is big and hence not super mobile (see: law of physics). My point is just, be prepared for it, he will cost us goals against. He will end up in embarrassing spots. And it will get a lot better with time if we give it to him.

Wasn't there this 'Chara' guy where I'm sure people said the same thing and he was traded multiple times as a young man..

hope we hang onto him as I see him going down a similar path if all breaks right.

love his game so far for a rook D

Reactions: Ola and bl02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Wasn't there this 'Chara' guy where I'm sure people said the same thing and he was traded multiple times as a young man..

hope we hang onto him as I see him going down a similar path if all breaks right.

love his game so far for a rook D

Yup, I remember doing a breakdown once, I am sure it was like 10-15 years ago. And things have changed since, but at one point it was ridiculous. Roughly like 12 of the 15 top Ds in the league had taken huuuuge steps after they were 26-27 y/o. And many had even gone from being marginal NHLers at like 25 to being top guys post 27-28 y/o. If I remember correctly guys like McCabe and Souray (top of the table in D scoring), guys like Dan Boyle and Rafalski that were talented but that didn't breakout before late 20s, a euro like Vishnovsky, Chara and so forth populated that summery.

Someone mentioned it in a reply to me recently, that this isn't really the case anymore, and that sounds plausible from just observations that I've made. More and more young Ds are getting big roles early. But at the same time, its a long road. Being able to just hit the ice and score a ton and be hot for a couple of seasons is something else than becoming that top guy that really changes the outlook of the play when he hit the ice. Q Hughes, Makar and co. aren't there yet.

My point is just, for Miller the time frame shouldn't be for him to get warm in his cloaths by this time next season. Its 4-5 years down the road.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Yup, I remember doing a breakdown once, I am sure it was like 10-15 years ago. And things have changed since, but at one point it was ridiculous. Roughly like 12 of the 15 top Ds in the league had taken huuuuge steps after they were 26-27 y/o. And many had even gone from being marginal NHLers at like 25 to being top guys post 27-28 y/o. If I remember correctly guys like McCabe and Souray (top of the table in D scoring), guys like Dan Boyle and Rafalski that were talented but that didn't breakout before late 20s, a euro like Vishnovsky, Chara and so forth populated that summery.

Someone mentioned it in a reply to me recently, that this isn't really the case anymore, and that sounds plausible from just observations that I've made. More and more young Ds are getting big roles early. But at the same time, its a long road. Being able to just hit the ice and score a ton and be hot for a couple of seasons is something else than becoming that top guy that really changes the outlook of the play when he hit the ice. Q Hughes, Makar and co. aren't there yet.

My point is just, for Miller the time frame shouldn't be for him to get warm in his cloaths by this time next season. Its 4-5 years down the road.

Great post O.

and the great part about the current make up of this team, Miller doesn't have to be relied upon to pile up points and can focus on rounding out that 'complete game'.

I feel a lot of teams don't have that luxury of points flowing from the back end, and that has got to come into play when teams sour on young D's fast. They're not piling up points to the teams liking.

We have time and room for this kid to grow. This, what we're currently in, is a waiting game for sure. Kid is packed with potential though. Can't believe that was only his second game last night, looked calm in some rough spots.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Last night Miller showed a lot of the things that make him such an exciting prospect. Still a few hiccups but started playing within his means and really settled in as the night went on. Great way to build confidence.

The one glaring issue is his tendency to be ultra aggressive in the opposing side of the neutral zone. Really needs to work on that. Let the attack come to him and close it off at the blue line. Jumping up too early led to a handful of odd-man rushes against last night. Thankfully nothing particularly dangerous.

Reactions: Rongomania

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He has been getting progressively better since his 3rd shift of the game one. I am SO high on him as a prospect.

I mean, he looked like he did last night, and he's still kinda coltish. Just imagine what he'll look and play like in 3 years...
That’s the thing. He is not even close to being physically mature yet.

Expect up and downs. Lots of them. He has a lot of learning to do. But his God given physical abilities? Oh, my. Unbelievable athlete

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
What stands out for me, and its just 2 games in, is that he didn't have a great 1st game and aside from the brutal turnover behind the net, he was poised enough to come back k and have what I thought was a very strong game.

Can't wait until this kid rounds out completely.

Gonna be fun to watch his development over the next 3-4 years

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
So happy for him. Great bounce back. I would have sat him after game 1, so kudos to Quinn as well.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I was in the building in Dallas and when the Rangers traded up, everyone had a feeling it was for a defenseman because they leapfrogged Anaheim, a team known for being good at drafting defenseman. Initially I thought it'd be Sandin but Miller being the pick was exciting.
If I remember right, we had sources that all three teams between Ottawa and the Rangers were prepared to pick Miller. I know I had information on Minnesota. Miller was their guy.

Smart trade up. Great future. Only 20!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If I remember right, we had sources that all three teams between Ottawa and the Rangers were prepared to pick Miller. I know I had information on Minnesota. Miller was their guy.

Smart trade up. Great future. Only 20!

Turns 21 in 4 days

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Just remember you are asking this board to have patience with the rookie. Good luck with that. The next time he makes a mistake that leads to a goal people will be calling him a bust. This kid is the real deal, he just needs the minutes.

Reactions: Ola

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Even though he’s not been terrible and was actually pretty good yesterday he seems like an ideal send-down candidate if the AHL ever starts up again . He can really work on his game there. He looks raw af

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad