1719678624124.png

1719678664589.png

1719678676787.png

1719678688086.png

1719678707016.png

Reactions: Arsenalogist24

scott99

May 13, 2005
I like this pick. Ceiling, a hard nosed 2nd line center. Floor, hard nosed 4th line center. He’s the type of guy who is definitely going to make the NHL. He definitely has offensive skill, but is really good defensively as well.

Lou REALLY loves the USNTDP. I was watching the 2023 U18 Gold medal game this morning, US vs Sweden. Sweden was up 2-0 going into the 3rd period, just playing great defensive hockey against an incredibly talented U.S. team.

Danny Nelson made it 2-1 with a slick tip in goal skating into the high slot, and then 16 year old Cole Eiserman tied it with a late power play bullet. U.S. won it in OT. The captain of the team, another Isle’s pick, defenseman Zach Schulz.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sign me up! Think he has a good chance to develop into a long time Islander favourite.

Bednarik’s hallmark attribute is his defensive prowess. Using his motor, high hockey IQ, and strong decision-making, Bednarik does whatever it takes to win: battling along the boards, throwing big hits, forechecking, and scoring.

"I'm a 200-foot player. I think I play really well on both ends of the ice," Bednarik said. "I think that's kind of my biggest strength is that 200-foot game. I take a lot of pride in doing that, and me being good defensively at the same time, I could produce offensively as well, so I think I have a good balance of both worlds."

He models his game after former Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron.

"I guess the main guy is definitely Patrice Bergeron. I'm from Chicago, but whenever I was younger, I liked watching him play, and I liked how he was responsible, and I think I've picked up that responsible, mature game much earlier than some other players would have.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Mentioned it in the draft thread, but whilst watching the U18 Worlds, I believe I came here and posted that this Bednarik kid surely looks like someone our scouting staff must adore.

Reactions: scott99

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great pick by you guys. One of my favorite players in this draft. He should've been drafted 30-40 slots higher. I had him ranked 28. My hot take is he's not that much worse than Eiserman (had Eiserman at 24). There's a real chance he could end up the better NHL'er.

In fact, Eiserman probably tanked his and the Detroit second rounder's draft stock at the U18 Worlds (no offense). Eiserman is very hard to play with if there's not an elite driver on the line. Again, no offense. You guys got good value for Eiserman too, so not a bad selection by any means. Bednarik just didn't mesh well though at all with Eiserman this year. I really hope there are no plans to play them together at BU or in the future with the Isles.

Bednarik is a swiss army knife style of player. He projects as a second or third line center. I think there's a good chance he could be a 2C, but time will tell. He's a very steady player. He was probably the best defensive forward on the 2006 NTDP age group. Very good on face-offs. Reliable two way guy. First PK unit type of player. Also a good scorer though. He was pretty much the third highest scoring forward for the 2006 NTDP age group this year until Teddy Stiga started becoming glued to Hagens. I think Bednarik dropped to fourth after that. Bednarik was basically the only one of the top 6-9 forwards on that team that never got a chance to play with Hagens, and that's because he was always the 2C, so he was certainly a product of no one (as I said didn't mesh well with Eiserman and was always the 2C behind Hagens). And he was more of a PP2 guy his time at the NTDP, so wasn't getting that many free points either. He was very efficient at ES.

He's a decent skater. Not small (at least 6'0). Goes to the net. Not overly physical and chippy, but willing to mix it up when needed. Very much a pro style player and attitude already from everything I've seen. If there's anything he can do better, it could be taking more risks with the puck. He has solid ability with the puck, but usually makes the smart and efficient play.

His parents are Slovak immigrants to the USA. His sister also is a good hockey player too. His father a few years ago had a construction accident, and became paralyzed and in a wheel chair, but apparently has recovered well. He comes off as a very mature and low maintenance kid from all the interviews I've seen.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
BU is gonna be some must watch hockey for Isles fans next year.

Indeed!

The team looks absolutely loaded though.

And if Celebrini stays - something many, many people want to see (including me) - then Bednarik has three other drafted centers ahead of him.

He might be better though. We'll have to see.

One of the biggest headscratchers at the draft aside from Tomas Galvas was the non-drafting of Swedish forward Alex Zetterberg.

He is currently at Montreal's development camp and will be attending BU this fall as well.

Reactions: leeroggy

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Hopefully this kid can keep growing. I do like the Islanders not shying away from the USNDPT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad