Speculation: Kaliyev trade...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He'd have to be on the top lines, getting PP1 icetime , then put in the work away from the puck for that to happen.

Dude put up nearly 15 playing barely 4th line minutes and on PP 2 for the 15 seconds they got every outing

put him on a good middle six that uses him for actual offense and a decent PP instead of on a checking line and he's EASILY getting 25.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's been hanging around him since his draft year. It's not "untrue" that his conditioning was notedly poor and for whatever reason his actual age and interview skills were a topic of conversation. His motivation and hustle were definitely in question in practically every scouting report.
Because people are catty dimwits.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He won't break up the 1st line but he may get Dach who turned into a monster before he got hurt. Problem maybe that Dach was playing a very uptempo game where it may be way above Kaliyevs pay grade.

Newhook is VERY FAST and a natural for Dach.

If Newhook forms a 3rd line...

There isn't a simply plug in that fits into the players strengths. More like a player fits as best he can and brings special tools along.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Attachments

• Facebook_creation_3644805055833280.jpeg
    Facebook_creation_3644805055833280.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
So do you guys think that his career is worth recovering or is it an uphill battle?
It’s worth a shot. You guys can get him for free in a few months and if you add an expensive winger to the deal, Blake will even throw in a 2nd rounder. Personally I think he’s cooked. Kings have ruined him.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It’s worth a shot. You guys can get him for free in a few months and if you add an expensive winger to the deal, Blake will even throw in a 2nd rounder. Personally I think he’s cooked. Kings have ruined him.
The Kings may have misused him but I hardly think he was "ruined".

Dach was useless pick at 3OA and a 3rd line center...

Newhook, 3rd line center...

Now look at them.

It's all about the player and where his head is at. Wants to join a new team and put in the work, who knows where it could lead. Or not.

Reactions: David Lunch

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Not conventional wisdom, but Kaliyev’s problem is that he doesn’t score enough. You can’t go through that many games and shoot below 7%. If you aren’t going to be good at other parts of the game, you have to at least take advantage of that shot. Hard to justify sending him out there night after night if he can’t score.

I like Kaliyev a lot, but he simply hasn’t done his job. Can he score 15-20 next year? Maybe, but he has to find the corners with that shot of his. He can’t just shoot it through the goalie.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Not conventional wisdom, but Kaliyev’s problem is that he doesn’t score enough. You can’t go through that many games and shoot below 7%. If you aren’t going to be good at other parts of the game, you have to at least take advantage of that shot. Hard to justify sending him out there night after night if he can’t score.

I like Kaliyev a lot, but he simply hasn’t done his job. Can he score 15-20 next year? Maybe, but he has to find the corners with that shot of his. He can’t just shoot it through the goalie.
I want him to do well but man everytime he did play I was like yo where’s his desire to stick? He was just always so ho hum.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
From what I gather, it's an up-hill battle for a guy who doesn't seem to have many outstanding traits nor outstanding desire to make it. His only great asset is a hard shot.

To make it as a consistent top 6 looks like a loooong shot.

I had a higher opinion of him based on a few games. It seems that he really does need a change of scenery...and he needs an attitude adjustment on what it would take to stay in the NHL. He won't get an easy slide with the Habs because we have several prospects filling the AHL and expected to populate the mid level positions in the NHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I say it frequently

high skill players aren't 4th liners

they need puck touches to get in the game

you can't send a guy out every 8th shift and expect him to pick corners cold with Lewis

I absolutely guarantee with consistent time comes confidence, better puck handling, a higher shooter %, and 100 posters going "well he wasn't going to do that here was he" in defense of it somehow.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
He won't break up the 1st line but he may get Dach who turned into a monster before he got hurt. Problem maybe that Dach was playing a very uptempo game where it may be way above Kaliyevs pay grade.

Newhook is VERY FAST and a natural for Dach.

If Newhook forms a 3rd line...

There isn't a simply plug in that fits into the players strengths. More like a player fits as best he can and brings special tools along.
There are a lot of other teams who will be interested in Kaliev trade.
He is not necessarily will be traded to Montreal.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I think Kaliyev is going to take the Daniel Sprong career path. He may end up playing for a few organizations but will find the right/role and system and be a productive piece to a roster. Give him consistent PP time and 3rd line work playing 14-15 min. a night.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Kaliyev has a legit NHL wrist shot and good size, but has not demonstrated the passion to push himself in all the OTHER parts of the game to be an overall legit NHL player. It makes me laugh out loud when people say is the Kings fault, because all the choices to not step up his game are HIS responsibility. Not to say LA is a world class developer of forward talent but still players like Kempe have come thru that and been able to make it. Kaliyev’s biggest challenge is how to overcome what’s between his ears. If he commits he definitely can be a top six guy.

Reactions: kingsfan28

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Kaliyev will absolutely score 30 goals, 60 points on a team that actually encourages creativity/offense.

Habs would do well to acquire him for a modest price of a 1st round pick and a prospect.

• Haha
Reactions: Fripp and LAKings88

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think Kaliyev is going to take the Daniel Sprong career path. He may end up playing for a few organizations but will find the right/role and system and be a productive piece to a roster. Give him consistent PP time and 3rd line work playing 14-15 min. a night.

great point, coudl see him crushing it on a PP like Seattle or Utah

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
great point, coudl see him crushing it on a PP like Seattle or Utah

Don't think Kaliyev is ever going to develop into a defensive savant, but neither is Sprong. Seattle and now Detroit have shielded him and given him ample PP opportunity and he's done well for himself.

I hope Kaliyev does well wherever he ends up. Pulling for the kid as he's a Hamilton Bulldog alumni. Was great during their Memorial Cup season.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I say it frequently

high skill players aren't 4th liners

they need puck touches to get in the game

you can't send a guy out every 8th shift and expect him to pick corners cold with Lewis

I absolutely guarantee with consistent time comes confidence, better puck handling, a higher shooter %, and 100 posters going "well he wasn't going to do that here was he" in defense of it somehow.
That's exactly what I expect him to do, go out and pick corners cold. That's his role. If he can't do that, he can't play in the NHL, because he's not ever going to be Blake Lizotte.

I know it sounds crazy, but Kaliyev needs to take the summer and work on his shot. It's not just about how heavy his shot is. It's about placement.

You look at Kempe from age 20-24, to now. Shooting percentage below 10%, 41 goals. Age 24-27 seasons, shooting percentage 12.4% 108 goals. Not only did Kempe decide to be more selfish and shoot the puck more, he decided to work on his shot and improve it. Now every time Kempe gets the puck in the right circle and loads up for a one timer, he is a threat to score. Kempe worked to shoot the puck at locations that are hard to stop when the goalie is moving across.

Kaliyev has a heavy shot, but he doesn't have the accuracy that Kempe has. He's got to find that touch to put the puck in a precise location. Kaliyev could score at will in juniors, but the goalies are bigger, faster, and way better at this level. It's on him to make an adjustment and find the back of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad