Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is Guhle better than Pesce? I don't know Pesce well but hear he's good.

Guhle is in the Pesce, Slavin, and Cernak range.
He's lost a lot of foot speed and has been nursing a lot of injuries, he's basically a 3-4 now and Guhle is better. He used to be great, not he's good. Slavin is of course better than Guhle, Cernak isn't but Cernak brings a dimension only a select few players can bring physically.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Needs to bulk up. Hopefully hits the gym this summer. Love the guy and I hope he’s a mainstay for many years. Concussions are worrisome though.
The thing is, I saw an interview with him and he said he likes that he's really fast and doesn't want to bulk up if it will slow him down. That's Guhle's take.

So we'll see what he does.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Going head to head with Mackinnon and Mcdavid while producing at 5v5 > scoring 20g a season.
Yep. Love the guy. I think he’s gonna be a stud. But very few players can put up the goals CC did at such a young age. That’s why he got paid what he did.

Going forward? I just hope his shoulder gets better. If not - it’s f***ing tragic. Finally have a guy who can score 50 and he has a busted wing. We can’t have nice things.

As for Guhle, I love him. He’s a stud. That contract will be great value.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
There is no risk, he's well worth that money, right now today. Matt Roy signed at a 250k premium for the same number of years and he is nowhere near as good as Guhle and he does not have the upside of Guhle. It's below market value.
It's not about the player. Any contract of that length has risk, a lot can change in a few years.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
View attachment 898828

Guhle is paid under market value by literally all accounts.
It’s arguable and I won’t argue it. You definitely have enough of a point here

But there is a certain amount of ‘durability’ gamble there as well. Maybe you’ll say that’s overblown but to me that’s his biggest question mark. I think he is, and will be an even bigger stud IF he holds up.

Definitely a tad worried about him allegedly saying he doesn’t want to bulk up. He needs to get stronger

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s arguable and I won’t argue it. You definitely have enough of a point here

But there is a certain amount of ‘durability’ gamble there as well. Maybe you’ll say that’s overblown but to me that’s his biggest question mark. I think he is, and will be an even bigger stud IF he holds up.

Definitely a tad worried about him allegedly saying he doesn’t want to bulk up. He needs to get stronger
It's his biggest question mark for sure but it's not that big IMO. Getting a concussion out of a dirty hit shouldn't take a lot of that away from you.

He'll get naturally stronger but I'd much rather he stays a top 10 skater in the NHL and be one of the only D in the league that is able to match up Mcdavid and Mackinnon than bulk up and lose speed a la PK.

Natural strength will get to him as he ages, we tend to forget he's at an age where most Ds aren't even NHL regulars. Think of Xhekaj, Struble, Barron, etc.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
It's very weird how Guhle is perceived both from fans of this team and fans of other teams. It's crazy how much DB scouting goes around. We mention struggle, I see him go toe-to-toe with the best players in the league and at the very least not looking like a fool to looking downright brilliant. It's a bit sad, is it because he's a Timmins and Bergevin product ? Could be the same reason Suzuki, Caufield and Roy also get a lot of criticism.

Guhle has been much better than Caufield so far in their respective career, and he is younger.
Caufield has been way better than guhle and has flourished in his young career. Guhle is a fringe nhler. Im sorry your a guhle fanboi but hes not even in the same class as caufield.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Caufield has been way better than guhle and has flourished in his young career. Guhle is a fringe nhler. Im sorry your a guhle fanboi but hes not even in the same class as caufield.
Guhle is a fringe NHLer??? What the f***.

If Guhle is a fringe NHLer then all the Habs defender are at best AHLers. What a completely ridiculous statement.

What makes you say he is a fringe NHLer? Are you aware he played some of the hardest NHL minutes? Are you aware he did so on his offside and was asked to baby sit Matheson? Are you aware he's produced better than Matheson at 5v5 for two years running and produced on the same levels as guys like Seider, Sanderson, Lindholm, Etc?

Meanwhile Caufield has failed to crack the top 60 in scoring yet again, while playing with the teams best player and has a fairly limited player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's not about the player. Any contract of that length has risk, a lot can change in a few years.
That's fair. It's not that long and there's the ELC clause. From age to the actual player it's as low of a risk as any other medium to long term contract in the league.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The thing is, I saw an interview with him and he said he likes that he's really fast and doesn't want to bulk up if it will slow him down. That's Guhle's take.

So we'll see what he does.
Which is fine but then don't try to be the physical beast at that point.
I have no problem with Guhle defending using his mobility his stick and his brain.
Those have always been his strongest attributes and he is definitely strong enough to win the puck and box out players that way.
As much as he claims to like crashing bodies someone has to make him understand that isn't what he's good at or what is good for him.
Physical YES overly physical NO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Which is fine but then don't try to be the physical beast at that point.
I have no problem with Guhle defending using his mobility his stick and his brain.
Those have always been his strongest attributes and he is definitely strong enough to win the puck and box out players that way.
As much as he claims to like crashing bodies someone has to make him understand that isn't what he's good at or what is good for him.
Physical YES overly physical NO.
Yes, this is important. But Guhle also keeps saying he wants to increase the physicality in his game at the NHL level, while also saying he doesn't want to bulk up too much over the summer, because he doesn't want to lose his speed.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's his biggest question mark for sure but it's not that big IMO. Getting a concussion out of a dirty hit shouldn't take a lot of that away from you.

He'll get naturally stronger but I'd much rather he stays a top 10 skater in the NHL and be one of the only D in the league that is able to match up Mcdavid and Mackinnon than bulk up and lose speed a la PK.

Natural strength will get to him as he ages, we tend to forget he's at an age where most Ds aren't even NHL regulars. Think of Xhekaj, Struble, Barron, etc.
It wasn’t just that hit though. He’s missed a decent amount of hockey since being drafted. Not SUPER worrying. Better than Dach. He also does seem to get rocked quite a bit.

I’m hoping the man strength happens. I’d just hate to lose him or have his potential compromised. He’s as important as anyone on this team.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hughes puts a lot into injured players. It could comeback to be a negative. I don't think it will desimate the team but maybe keep them from a cup.

Odds are multiple injured players usually become injured again

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Guhle is a fringe NHLer??? What the f***.

If Guhle is a fringe NHLer then all the Habs defender are at best AHLers. What a completely ridiculous statement.

What makes you say he is a fringe NHLer? Are you aware he played some of the hardest NHL minutes? Are you aware he did so on his offside and was asked to baby sit Matheson? Are you aware he's produced better than Matheson at 5v5 for two years running and produced on the same levels as guys like Seider, Sanderson, Lindholm, Etc?

Meanwhile Caufield has failed to crack the top 60 in scoring yet again, while playing with the teams best player and has a fairly limited player.
Child please.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Hughes puts a lot into injured players. It could comeback to be a negative. I don't think it will desimate the team but maybe keep them from a cup.

Odds are multiple injured players usually become injured again

Yeah your boy the G.O.A.T Bergevin would have been smarter and just signed him to a bridge deal at like $4.5M AAV for 2 years. Then we could pay him $8M+ when he develops, that's the big brain play.

Damn that Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5