Value of: Juuso Valimaki

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Talented young defenseman, but doesn't seem to be a fit with Darryl Sutter...

What could be his value? A young player in the same situation? A part of a package for a better player?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Can you provide more info? Why doesn't he fit? What flaws of his game does Sutter not like? Where do you see him playing on another teams lineup? Most players are talented or they wouldn't see an NHL game.

Reactions: banks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can you provide more info? Why doesn't he fit? What flaws of his game does Sutter not like? Where do you see him playing on another teams lineup? Most players are talented or they wouldn't see an NHL game.

• There seems to be a disconnect between he and Sutter.
  • He's gotten into 8 games this season, has a couple points, has looked what I would classify as fine.
  • Played mostly as a depth guy, 5/6 when he's been in. Not really his fault, the 4 guys in front of him are quite solid.
  • Sutter seems to be very critical of him. Him and Dube. After games he's singled them out, meanwhile guys like Zadorov continue to be black holes on the defensive end but rarely have anything happen to them.
  • At the start of the season, Juuso got in when Zadorov had one of those all-timer ugly games... he stayed in the lineup for a while looked fine, then he had one of those games where he stuck out in a bad way; and hasn't really seen the ice since (been demoted to the AHL where he's playing #1 minutes, PP, PK).

Most Flames fans are wondering why this guy isn't in the lineup. The coach talks about transition/speed off the backend; and Juuso would check those boxes... I think it's just a Sutter thing. If you're young, you better pop or you won't find a home. Calgary's having issues scoring, we have a 20 year old, ex-first rounder that's currently second in the AHL in scoring... yet we have guys like Lewis, Richardson, Ritchie and Pitlick playing for us nightly.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Valimaki - very surprised, I was disappointed he went the pick before Toronto and wanted him on the Leafs, and tracked him a bit and know that he was being hyped as a future number 1 early following his draft and getting into a few NHL games.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
  • He's gotten into 8 games this season, has a couple points, has looked what I would classify as fine.
  • Played mostly as a depth guy, 5/6 when he's been in. Not really his fault, the 4 guys in front of him are quite solid.
  • Sutter seems to be very critical of him. Him and Dube. After games he's singled them out, meanwhile guys like Zadorov continue to be black holes on the defensive end but rarely have anything happen to them.
  • At the start of the season, Juuso got in when Zadorov had one of those all-timer ugly games... he stayed in the lineup for a while looked fine, then he had one of those games where he stuck out in a bad way; and hasn't really seen the ice since (been demoted to the AHL where he's playing #1 minutes, PP, PK).
Most Flames fans are wondering why this guy isn't in the lineup. The coach talks about transition/speed off the backend; and Juuso would check those boxes... I think it's just a Sutter thing. If you're young, you better pop or you won't find a home. Calgary's having issues scoring, we have a 20 year old, ex-first rounder that's currently second in the AHL in scoring... yet we have guys like Lewis, Richardson, Ritchie and Pitlick playing for us nightly.
"
Ah yes Maurice was famous for this approach too. I call it the dog whistle effect where the only way you can hear it or see it is if you are the vetiest of veteran NHL coaches. "Vet" players can fail miserably by the eye test and the fancy stats but......BUT.... here's the rub, as long as you fail while playing within the coaches system you are a "gud pro" and gud pros play.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He hasn't developed as I'd hoped. That said, how he's not playing ahead of Zadorov is beyond me. Zadorov makes tons of mistakes just like Valimaki but without the upside. I see his value as being a 2nd and 3rd right now. I wouldn't sell on him though, but my guess is he'd return something around that.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's had a ton of bad injury luck that has slowed his development. Could maybe see him being a part of a package for a top 6 forward but otherwise don't have a ton of reason to move on from him.

Possibly a swap for another young player in a similar situation having a tough time getting out of the gates. Think they're best served to just hang on to him, still looks like a future top 4 D.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Injuries have hampered his development and Coach Sutter didn't see any consistency from him. The emergence of Oliver Kylington pushed Jusso down the depth chart.

Like him or not, Zadorov has played pretty darned good for the Flames this season and Valimaki was unable to get in often enough.

Zadorov - Games 26, ATOI 16:21, Points 6, Plus/Minus -1, BLK's 24, HITS 56, CF% All 56.4, OzS% 61.1.

Flames sent Vali down to play a lot of minutes and until yesterday has been doing quite well (injured in yesterday's game).

At one point Valimaki was projected to be a top 4 guy, but as I said injuries have slowed his progress. Next year will be a make or break year for him and I suspect he'll make the squad out of camp and won't look back.

As far as trade value goes? In just about every major trade the Flames were in on, his name comes up. The answer was typically no. Having said that the Flames (again until recently) have been playing pretty good and with a couple more pieces they may be able to make a push of sorts this post season.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Valimaki and his potential bundled with another prospect, roster player, or pick(s) and going out at some point.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There is nothing really wrong with Valimaki. He is young and needs development/experience

The Flames GM’s biggest trade in the off season was for Zadorov and he also signed Gudbranson. Size matters to Sutter. He likes them big. He also doesn’t want to make his GM looks like a moron.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Ahh yes, the days of Lewis & Kinger on the top line. Young D benched for older vets. This is just normal Sutter behavior. I'm sure he will give a long, articulate answer on the subject in his post game media availability.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ahh yes, the days of Lewis & Kinger on the top line. Young D benched for older vets. This is just normal Sutter behavior. I'm sure he will give a long, articulate answer on the subject in his post game media availability.

Yeah, not our first rodeo with Sutter; it’s like people completely forgot how he was as a coach… that or people are too young to remember round 1 with Calgary.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Part of it to is that Kylington came out of nowhere and took his spot. At the beginning of last season Valimaki was dominating in Finland and looked to break out in the NHL. Kylington looked like he had run out of room in Calgary to prove himself..... Now Kylington is looking like a potential future #1 and Valimaki can't crack the lineup. Shows just how hard it is to predict the development of young dmen.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Probably wont be traded, will likely just take his spot in the line up if there is an injury or next year after Zadorov is gone. Either way he's getting reps now in the minors. better than him sitting in the press box on the big team
The Flames desperately need an offensive dman too. If Valimaki could stop making so many green mistakes, he'd be perfect for the Flames as a #5/pp guy.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
LA DOES need LHD, and has a surplus of forwards/RHD...I just don't know what the trade would look like at all because the prospects Calgary would want we probably can't give up but the immediate help we can give up probably isn't enough.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
LA DOES need LHD, and has a surplus of forwards/RHD...I just don't know what the trade would look like at all because the prospects Calgary would want we probably can't give up but the immediate help we can give up probably isn't enough.

The upside on Valimaki is still very high. He seems like kind of a boom or bust. Either a solid #2/3 or Europe bound. The Flames aren't likely to part with Valimaki unless a prospect on the level of Vilardi is coming back, but I can 100% see why the Kings wouldn't want to part with their own high ceiling prospects.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just a note, Juuso did sustain an injury a couple nights ago for Stockton.
Coach has said it's a DTD at this time. Concerning just because of the injuries he's had already at the start of his career.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The upside on Valimaki is still very high. He seems like kind of a boom or bust. Either a solid #2/3 or Europe bound. The Flames aren't likely to part with Valimaki unless a prospect on the level of Vilardi is coming back, but I can 100% see why the Kings wouldn't want to part with their own high ceiling prospects.

Not necessarily 100% opposed especially given a similar 'spotty history' prospect...

Makes me think at least. It's maybe tougher right this minute just because most of them are mystery boxes so we don't know which holes we 'need' to fill outside LHD.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
His lack of game time is likely a management directive tied to keeping RFA cap hits down. Kylington went through the same baffling procedure while the illustrious Nikita Nesterov, Erik Gustafsson, Oscar Fantenberg, and Derek Forbort excelled in his spot.

It's not a Sutter thing. The Treliving era has put almost every single Flames prospect through this ordeal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad