Confirmed with Link: Juuse Saros Extended

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
1719867538437.png

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah but I gotta question why you even bother with it then. I guess it keeps us from flipping him but I'm not sure there are a lot of teams that would spend that anyways.
Guess it leaves the possibility open, anyway. Cap keeps going up at the same pace and $8 mil will be a decent deal for an average goalie in 4-5 years

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Do we still not know the final details, NMC, etc?

Maybe. Rinne made 7 million so it hasn't gotten that much better since he signed that deal ages ago.
Rinne got overpaid because it was a message to Weber and Suter. It worked out great for us(plus we were nowhere near the cap then), but that's why he got 7 mil 12 years ago.

Reactions: nullednumbed

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Agreed. Now that we have Stamkos, marchessault, and Skjei it gives a clear direction for the next couple years
Hmm, since I never gave any serious consideration to trading Saros in the first place, I still don't look at things like the new UFA signings having any mitigating effect on the Saros contract.

If anything, I would have thought that had we waited a bit, and let Saros get excited about those signings, that should have given us that much more leeway in convincing him to take an even more team-friendly deal to stick around. We should have been able to get the 6-year term regardless, but all those signings should have helped even more in convincing him!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hmm, since I never gave any serious consideration to trading Saros in the first place, I still don't look at things like the new UFA signings having any mitigating effect on the Saros contract.

If anything, I would have thought that had we waited a bit, and let Saros get excited about those signings, that should have given us that much more leeway in convincing him to take an even more team-friendly deal to stick around. We should have been able to get the 6-year term regardless, but all those signings should have helped even more in convincing him!
The news on Saros could be part of the reason those guys thought we were committed to try to win, so if you don't do it they may not be here.

I don't think Saros was ever going to take six years, thought it was a pipe dream then, obviously it's a pipe dream now. I just wouldn't have offered more than 5 to start with and stuck with it.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
If anything, I would have thought that had we waited a bit, and let Saros get excited about those signings, that should have given us that much more leeway in convincing him to take an even more team-friendly deal to stick around.

The news on Saros could be part of the reason those guys thought we were committed to try to win, so if you don't do it they may not be here.

There's a decent chance that both of those statements might be true.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I have a hard time seeing how this contract is really that big of an issue in the future. Someone will take him or there'll be an expansion draft or he can be bought out. The cap will continue to rise and this contract will sort itself pretty easily.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I have a hard time seeing how this contract is really that big of an issue in the future. Someone will take him or there'll be an expansion draft or he can be bought out. The cap will continue to rise and this contract will sort itself pretty easily.
I just don't think he is worth it, especially long term. I get it, some people think he is, but I'm not one of them.

I think his decline when it starts will be bad and pretty much happen overnight.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder how long it will take for the full contract details to come out? Or will some teams be able to hide these now that CapFriendly isn't providing things? Granted, it has only been a couple days passed now since July 1st, but it sure feels like it has been longer! :D

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad