Confirmed with Link: Juuse Saros Extended

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Not saying that's bad at all. Last year he shouldn't have received any votes at all, but then the voting system tends to be like that with guys getting votes on reputation alone sometimes.
Ok then let's take Vezina votes out of it. Since taking over as a starter his numbers are completely in line with other top goalies. I mean what is the argument that someone like Hellebuyck is significantly better over the last five years outside of award voting?

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
all one would have to do to verify how good or bad Saros is would be to listen to how the other GM’s around the league talk about him or listen to the players of other teams discuss playing against him.

Reactions: hido

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I still find it ironic that you of all people can refer to Saros that way, after years of trashing him here, while I on the other hand, after years of defending him here, find that bolded bestowed title to be one of the key problems in this whole thing. :naughty:

I'd be very content to risk "pissing off" a mediocre/decent goalie... and indeed expect that if such a goalie wanted to land a big new contract he'd play his ass off for it in the coming season. And then the 8 years and NMC could very well happen... *IF* he went out and earned it.

Or if instead he was going to be distracted by not having that contract, then I want to know that he's so easily distracted because I don't want a guy who can be distracted like that as my starter for 8 more years.
And you'd end up with some retread like Korpisalo or Samsonov trying to win us a Cup..

More to your point, I'm not defending Saros per se, I still worry (a lot) about the fact hes never won a playoff series, but I'm defending the logic of locking him up for our upcoming window, and disputing your assertion that we could have somehow wrung a much better deal out of him had we waited.

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And you'd end up with some retread like Korpisalo or Samsonov trying to win us a Cup..

More to your point, I'm not defending Saros per se, I still worry (a lot) about the fact hes never won a playoff series, but I'm defending the logic of locking him up for our upcoming window, and disputing your assertion that we could have somehow wrung a much better deal out of him had we waited.
I don't know that you get a better deal out of it, but by the end of the season you may have decided without a better deal he just wasn't worth it. Not to mention you've played the season and seen how all of these moves actually ended up working. You may have locked him in long term for a window that doesn't really exist to start with.

I mean on paper it looks like a team that can make some noise, but these guys aren't exactly young anymore, many of them have been playing for the same team ( and in some cases coaches ) for years. Paper doesn't win you games.

He comes out this season and has another like the last and I think a whole lot of people are going to change their tune on that contract, especially if the team around him turns out to not be nearly as good as most people hoped.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't know that you get a better deal out of it, but by the end of the season you may have decided without a better deal he just wasn't worth it. Not to mention you've played the season and seen how all of these moves actually ended up working. You may have locked him in long term for a window that doesn't really exist to start with.

I mean on paper it looks like a team that can make some noise, but these guys aren't exactly young anymore, many of them have been playing for the same team ( and in some cases coaches ) for years. Paper doesn't win you games.

He comes out this season and has another like the last and I think a whole lot of people are going to change their tune on that contract, especially if the team around him turns out to not be nearly as good as most people hoped.
Um, no shit? If this team ends up sucking we will all be massively disappointed in more than just Saros. But that doesn't change the fact that signing him now for a reasonable AAV was a logical move if you are in "go for it" mode, which we obviously are.

The reverse hypothetical is he plays well and we either have to give him 10 million AAV to stay or he walks to someone desperate for a quality starter who offers him stupid money.

Imagine the angst if we make the WCF or further next year and it looks like we really are a Cup team and then we lose him and put our window in jeopardy because we were stingy.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Prevailing theory is, you don't need elite goaltending to win a cup, but it helps if you have good goaltending. Trotz knew his strategy for the next 2-3 years and will have multiple options for an out if Jusse drops off a cliff. He kept the $ respectful to Jusse and to the franchise. He doesn't care about the term. What would be funny as F@*k is the team is going to miss the playoffs and he trades him at the deadline for a beneficial haul.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I guess I just don't see Saros as having that kind of reputation around the league? It's not like he ever stole a series against one of these guys or has ever won a major award or anything? He has never even won a playoff round. What kind of draw would he represent? :huh:

I can see the other two taking note because of Stamkos, O'Reilly, Josi reputations maybe. Or we already know Stamkos' interest was boosted with a reference from the Schenns. But any of that stuff would be secondary... because...

Regardless of any of those connections, I think we also put the absolute BEST contracts on the table that any of those players saw, period. Nobody was paying them more total $$$, and they all got full NMCs. In a good city with low taxes. That's what brought in the free agents.
Go to the main boards and ask where Saros is ranked in relation to his peers. Guarantee he’s top 5, possibly falling as low as 7.

The problem with Saros, and the team in general last year was their consistency. Started the season poorly, went on a streak, the U2 debacle, the big point streak and finished ok.

Should’ve won the playoff series without two collapses and a little more goal scoring.

This team, with all the warts, lack of top end talent, learning a new system, a new coach learning his players and a new GM learning how to build a team did pretty well. Now add 3 vets to the mix who are solid players and winners with young kids who are learning from the vets with no major contract distractions sets us up for either success or one big flame out.

I’m optimistic about the next couple of years and down the road to be honest. I’m going to enjoy the ride again because this is not the same Poile led team anymore and while there is risk, I’m glad to see we engaged in free agency like we did.

As I e said before, I’m not thrilled about the Saros contract but I also understand why Trotz felt the need to dole it out.

Reactions: PredsV82

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
IMG_1718.png

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Franky take the top 10, shake it up and throw it and there isn't much difference night in and night out. The one exception I would put on that is Demko simply because he is going to be injured for 50% of the games.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Um, no shit? If this team ends up sucking we will all be massively disappointed in more than just Saros. But that doesn't change the fact that signing him now for a reasonable AAV was a logical move if you are in "go for it" mode, which we obviously are.

The reverse hypothetical is he plays well and we either have to give him 10 million AAV to stay or he walks to someone desperate for a quality starter who offers him stupid money.

Imagine the angst if we make the WCF or further next year and it looks like we really are a Cup team and then we lose him and put our window in jeopardy because we were stingy.
That's the bet I make to keep from giving him 8 years and a full NMC this season. Besides if he wanted 10 million I'm letting him walk anyways and absolutely no one here would be upset by that.

Frankly based on what we have seen lately though I think he would have a hard time getting that from anyone, even with the cap going up. It's been several years since we've seen any GM being willing to go above 8 on even what is considered a top level goalie.

They key to it is you have another full season to sign him. He comes out and looks like last season you aren't going to want him long term anyways. It's a bad contract because we weren't forced to give it to him, possible window or not. Besides if we make it to the WCF with this group how many teams in that position are going to not only be looking for a goalie but be willing to pay them that anyways?

I take the gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad