Confirmed Signing with Link: Justin Schultz signs with HC Lugano

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I still remember the flame wars here between Edmonton and Canucks fans when he was a free agent from college
I thought it was super funny how he went from hardly talked about around here to "OMG FREE FUTURE SUPERSTAR HE HAS TO SIGN WITH MY TEAM"

And then a handful of Oilers fans predicting numerous Norris trophies after he shit on the AHL.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Strange that he didnt take that tryout opportunity from the Oilers. Pretty sweet to have an opportunity to fight for a cup.

Hope some team takes a flyer on Shattenkirk he's only 48 games shy of 1000. Too bad it's getting pretty late.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Strange that he didnt take that tryout opportunity from the Oilers. Pretty sweet to have an opportunity to fight for a cup.

Hope some team takes a flyer on Shattenkirk he's only 48 games shy of 1000. Too bad it's getting pretty late.

His and Shattenkirk's decisions not to take PTOs is definitely an odd one. If teams aren't sure about you going into camp, they definitely are not going to be sure with you sitting at home. Maybe they felt a better offer would come via an injury or holdout but that's nothing to bank your career on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What kind of $ is he making over there? Unless his game completely fell off a cliff I can't see why the Oilers wouldn't have offered him a cheap 1 year deal.

Jean Valjean

Mar 13, 2019
What kind of $ is he making over there? Unless his game completely fell off a cliff I can't see why the Oilers wouldn't have offered him a cheap 1 year deal.
I guess not more than 2-300K. We should assume no one offered him a one way contract in NHL. Not very reassuring as a Lugano fan ;-)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I guess not more than 2-300K. We should assume no one offered him a one way contract in NHL. Not very reassuring as a Lugano fan ;-)
1. People said the same thing about Sami Vatanen when he arrived to the NL and he might have been the best defenseman in the league that year.
2. Schultz has estimated 40+ million in career earnings. People in that kind of position want guarantees in life. The possibility of being waived, sent to the AHL town hours away from your family, living in some humble flat, etc. is just not appealing for them. When you have made that much money before another 200k might not be a priority over more important things.
3. These are people first, hockey players second. And from the "people" side of things, playing in the NHL as long as possible is a huge hassle. There would be no wonder if a guy who won 2 cups and made all that money is willing to just walk away from it.

Now he can spend a year in a beautiful Swiss town, on a good team, travel around Europe, and have next to no worries about anything. Wouldn't you give up on 0,5% of your career earnings for it?

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
1. People said the same thing about Sami Vatanen when he arrived to the NL and he might have been the best defenseman in the league that year.
2. Schultz has estimated 40+ million in career earnings. People in that kind of position want guarantees in life. The possibility of being waived, sent to the AHL town hours away from your family, living in some humble flat, etc. is just not appealing for them. When you have made that much money before another 200k might not be a priority over more important things.
3. These are people first, hockey players second. And from the "people" side of things, playing in the NHL as long as possible is a huge hassle. There would be no wonder if a guy who won 2 cups and made all that money is willing to just walk away from it.

Now he can spend a year in a beautiful Swiss town, on a good team, travel around Europe, and have next to no worries about anything. Wouldn't you give up on 0,5% of your career earnings for it?
Indeed I have seen worse places than Lugano… ;)

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4349.jpeg

IMG_4345.jpeg

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If I've made as much money as Schultz has in his career while also winning a couple Cups...yeah, I'd rather sign with a glorious lakeside town in Switzerland than any non-guaranteed NHL job too.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Lugano over Wilkes-Barre? Blasphemy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad