Waived: Justin Holl

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
totalrecall-total.gif
You'd think they could have done a better job with the makeup, it's very obvious where the edge of the bald cap is.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Holl can mimic a top four D so long as he paired with an above average/elite defensive D (Muzzin) who can cover his lapses. Edvinsson is fully capable of performing that role until the playoffs when opposing teams start targeting Holl.

Reactions: heyfolks

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Statistically speaking, Holl was a +8 last year. It was more he got caught up in a rosters numbers crunch than being flat out terrible.

He can be useful if used right.

The +8 had way more to do with being sheltered more than anyone else on the team. There is a reason for that, he isn't good.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The +8 had way more to do with being sheltered more than anyone else on the team. There is a reason for that, he isn't good.

Nope. It had nothing to do with sheltering. They were the best pair with Chiarot as the 2nd pair at last season start.

3rd pair is the only sheltered pair.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022

Correct me of I am wrong, "if used right" and "being sheltered" kinda proves the point?

Holl will not be perfect, or even really good. Nobody should be expecting a #1 here. But he can be less of a disaster than Petry, Gus and Ben at times, when used right.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'd rather AJ be on the bottom pairing, but Holl isn't the reason why Detroit sucks so far this season. I think coaching needs to be addressed. Wings have the talent to do much better if they learn how to play cohesively.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
I'd rather AJ be on the bottom pairing, but Holl isn't the reason why Detroit sucks so far this season. I think coaching needs to be addressed. Wings have the talent to do much better if they learn how to play cohesively.

I agree. I haven't been on the "Fire Lalonde" train so far but I'm starting to move in that direction. The team still lacks high end talent but they do have enough defensively responsible players that they should be better.

And I think this offseason was a move in that direction from Yzerman. Even if their replacements were a lateral move at best I don't think it's a coincidence that Sprong, Ghost and Fabbri didn't get re-signed.

Yzerman has said multiple times the team needs to be better defensively, and that he wasn't just talking about the defensemen.

As for Holl, he's looked better this season than he did last. If he can be in the lineup in any capacity that's useful, that's a win for the Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad