Waived: Justin Holl

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Petry and holl both suck, and I feel that Johansson could have provided the same thing as them for a fraction of the cost and would have had the luxury of getting a potential piece valuable experience on the roster instead of delaying it. Petry I at least get because he was like 1 million in cap space and is better than holl, but we are actively paying holl to NOT play for us. 3.4 for 2 years still wasted for actually no reason for a role a rookie could have done.

You can't imagine any scenario in which Holl could be moved over the next week, month, or two years? Teams run into injuries and needs arise out of nowhere all of the time. "Unmovable" contracts get moved. Shit, LA was able trade PLD for a roster player despite him being viewed as a locker room cancer AND having a crippling contract.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
You can't imagine any scenario in which Holl could be moved over the next week, month, or two years? Teams run into injuries and needs arise out of nowhere all of the time. "Unmovable" contracts get moved. Shit, LA was able trade PLD for a roster player despite him being viewed as a locker room cancer AND having a crippling contract.
I can imagine a scenario where we pay assets to get rid of him, like we did with Walman.

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Lol, cuz that's the same.

It is. Just because you have one player that you like, doesn't mean that you wouldn't look at another player you view as an upgrade.

I think it's been explained many times that the timing of signing Holl, then trading for Petry makes the situation appear strange, but if Yzerman knew Holl and Petry were both available at the same time, he would have chosen Petry. But that wasn't the case. He signed Holl to fill a need without knowing Petry would become available. Then, Petry did become available. And not only did Petry become available, he was in a similar situation as Debrincat, in that he told Montreal that Detroit was one of the few teams he would accept a trade to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It is. Just because you have one player that you like, doesn't mean that you wouldn't look at another player you view as an upgrade.

I think it's been explained many times that the timing of signing Holl, then trading for Petry makes the situation appear strange, but if Yzerman knew Holl and Petry were both available at the same time, he would have chosen Petry. But that wasn't the case. He signed Holl to fill a need without knowing Petry would become available. Then, Petry did become available. And not only did Petry become available, he was in a similar situation as Debrincat, in that he told Montreal that Detroit was one of the few teams he would accept a trade to.
Well I mean, they had plenty of space for Debrincat and Kane last year.

We gave Holl a contract and then he sat in the press box for a year.

So no, I would say not the same. There was no need to add Petry with the amount of players we already had under contract, unless you really just were not sold on the guy you just signed. And if you weren't sold on the guy you just signed, maybe don't sign that guy.

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I can imagine a scenario where we pay assets to get rid of him, like we did with Walman.

Walman's reputation got him essentially blackballed. Holl, if he takes this situation in stride, will be viewed as a good soldier/locker room guy. And, he's an NHL defenseman. He's not a great one, but he's better than a lot of bottom pairing guys. There's realistically a need for him by some team down the road.

Well I mean, they had plenty of space for Debrincat and Kane last year.

We gave Holl a contract and then he sat in the press box for a year.

So no, I would say not the same. There was no need to add Petry with the amount of players we already had under contract, unless you really just were not sold on the guy you just signed. And if you weren't sold on the guy you just signed, maybe don't sign that guy.

So, you're saying the preferred route would be to not make a move intended to upgrade a position because we already have a player occupying that spot?

The point of "not sold on the guy" is Hindsight 20/20. You make moves based on need and what is available.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Walman's reputation got him essentially blackballed. Holl, if he takes this situation in stride, will be viewed as a good soldier/locker room guy. And, he's an NHL defenseman. He's not a great one, but he's better than a lot of bottom pairing guys. There's realistically a need for him by some team down the road.

So, you're saying the preferred route would be to not make a move intended to upgrade a position because we already have a player occupying that spot?
I would say the logjam is not worth the negligible/minimal upgrade, no. Especially not when it results in Edvinsson getting blocked out.

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Edvinsson isn't blocked. He's penciled into the Top 4 right now and last season he was coming off of shoulder surgery and wasn't ready. Seems like getting Petry and Holl into the lineup and allowing Edvinsson to properly recover and develop in GR worked out as planned.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Edvinsson isn't blocked. He's penciled into the Top 4 right now and last season he was coming off of shoulder surgery and wasn't ready. Seems like getting Petry and Holl into the lineup and allowing Edvinsson to properly recover and develop in GR worked out as planned.
I was talking about last year, not this year. I think we would have benefitted from having Edvinsson on the big club earlier.

sepster

Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I was talking about last year, not this year. I think we would have benefitted from having Edvinsson on the big club earlier.

I addressed that in my post, he was coming off surgery and wasn't ready to start the year.

His development was handled properly in that he was given time to recover and improve his game in GR while the summer signings played in Detroit. Now, a year later, Edvinsson is ready to start in a Top 4 role while one of the signings got waived. That's how this is supposed to work.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
What reputation? He copied the griddy, not the kneeling (during the anthem).
Lots of little stories have leaked out about Walman. He's selfish and doesn't put team first, that is his reputation. Ain't gonna fly with Yzerman.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Another vet bites the dust to make room for a rookie. I thought Husso is going to be waiver-victim but this is even better, more opportunities for Johansson and roster spot for Watson. Win-win situation.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I addressed that in my post, he was coming off surgery and wasn't ready to start the year.

His development was handled properly in that he was given time to recover and improve his game in GR while the summer signings played in Detroit. Now, a year later, Edvinsson is ready to start in a Top 4 role while one of the signings got waived. That's how this is supposed to work.
He was ready to start the year. Because he was cleared and at camp day 1. The Wings decided he wouldn't be ready and made him not ready. But Ed, the player, was ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad