Player Discussion Justin Barron (recalled 2024-04-06)

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They couldn't have been watching Laval games if this is the case. Mailloux has been lethargic for a good stretch of games now.
Even thinking Reinbacher is ready is a joke. He's still acclimatizing to how fast the game comes back at him in the AHL.
While they didn't say Reinbacher was ready, it was more they, or rather Basu seemed to believe that Reinbacher has already passed Barron in the A at least.

That said, that reasoning was speculation and they weren't told by anyone that's why Barron was selected.

My opinion was Barron was selected to get him back in the NHL and showcase him.

Agreed on Mailloux, but Roy wasn't good really at all before he was called up, or when he was sent back, but looked like a better player in a better league.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
it was more they, or rather Basu seemed to believe that Reinbacher has already passed Barron in the A at least.
This is exactly what I'm contesting because it's false.
If people want to ignore the fact that players are constantly getting behind him and that it was also a problem in the Swiss league.
I'll have to question their judgement. Reinbacher should ultimately pass Barron in the heirarchy it will be a huge disappointment if he doesn't.
But he isn't there now.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They couldn't have been watching Laval games if this is the case. Mailloux has been lethargic for a good stretch of games now.
Even thinking Reinbacher is ready is a joke. He's still acclimatizing to how fast the game comes back at him in the AHL.
They may have been watching, but they weren’t seeing.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Barron has been up and down but I really like that he's starting to get in there and use his massive body. 6'2 bro stop playing like your Hutson. He's starting to tie up his man, and all. There's a decent chance he has a .... Matheson/Petry curve.
Well said.

If you can skate like Barron, anything, including an upside development curve, can happen. And it can happen quickly.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Well said.

If you can skate like Barron, anything, including an upside development curve, can happen. And it can happen quickly.
Two things I see with Barron- he seems to lose confidence quickly and he has to up his defensive side of his game. I do agree that his skating and is borderline elite and he has great offensive instincts. Defenseman have to play at least decent defense to survive in the NHL.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
... Scout from ANOTHER TEAM to Montreal media:

-on the tradable young asset we got- (Barron)
On i am not impress sir, shouldn't ask as return for more than late 4th..
-on the untradable ultra green rookie we got- (Reinbacher)
NHL right now sir, with Matheson icetime, 25min a night.

Thank you for your altruistic fair advice scout from ANOTHER TEAM!

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Flyers haven't thrown too much at him, but he's looked very good tonight.
Pretty good. He made two mistakes trying to pinch at the wrong time but that will happen with defenders of his age.
When you watch Barron his passes are on point, he is rarely icing the puck and he's getting rid of it quickly.
There were a couple of times last night he was able to clear the zone because he didn't hesitate to move the puck.
The passes didn't connect but it allowed the forwards a chance to get back into the play.
Something I saw in Laval and something he's brought back to the NHL.
The other thing is more players are falling at his feet as he gets more aggressive.
Something he really has to work on it doesn't come naturally to him maybe stick a thorn in his paw or something.
He's a BIG BOY.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
For Barron to be successful on this team he will need to find a chair. Right now, he's trending to be a bigger-Harris. Short term, the QB role belong to Matheson and long term expectation is that it will be Hutson. He'll need to outplay Wifi, Mailloux and Reinbacher (Engstrom??) in the secondary offensive role. That wont be easy. So if he's not getting PP time, he'll need to shine at 5v5 which mean, good first pass and solid defensive play. Problem is that the D side isn't there yet. I'm hoping he can improve this, but the reality is that IF Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher all develop a strong offensive game, you wont need a Barron on this team, you'll need a younger Savard type of player (block shots, think D first, clear the front of the net, etc.) and he's not that.

Guhle - Reinbacher
Wifi - Mailloux
Hutson - [Big mean D]

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
For Barron to be successful on this team he will need to find a chair. Right now, he's trending to be a bigger-Harris. Short term, the QB role belong to Matheson and long term expectation is that it will be Hutson. He'll need to outplay Wifi, Mailloux and Reinbacher (Engstrom??) in the secondary offensive role. That wont be easy. So if he's not getting PP time, he'll need to shine at 5v5 which mean, good first pass and solid defensive play. Problem is that the D side isn't there yet. I'm hoping he can improve this, but the reality is that IF Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher all develop a strong offensive game, you wont need a Barron on this team, you'll need a younger Savard type of player (block shots, think D first, clear the front of the net, etc.) and he's not that.

Guhle - Reinbacher
Wifi - Mailloux
Hutson - [Big mean D]
With how Harris has been playing, he will absolutely be in the top 6 to start the season if he's still with us.

He's not the biggest, he's not the quickest, but he makes the right play more often than not.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
With how Harris has been playing, he will absolutely be in the top 6 to start the season if he's still with us.

He's not the biggest, he's not the quickest, but he makes the right play more often than not.
Dont get me wrong, I'm happy with how Harris progress in the last few games. Playing LD helps him a lot. That said, looking at the overall construction of the D-group, Harris does not fit long term. He's ineffective on RD, he's out played by other LD and his contribution is nothing special that make him a priority to keep. His strong play these day may just mean a better return on him.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well said.

And think about this. A few years ago his skating wasn't that good. I know the guy that helped him work on his skating before he started working out in the Habs system. He worked hard to improve it.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Well said.

He's only 22,that's young for an NHL defender. He will get stronger and that will only help him with board battles. His overall game is coming along and people forget that Petry sucked for a long time.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Guhle - Reinbacher
Wifi - Mailloux
Hutson - [Big mean D]

I don't see Matheson going anywhere any time soon, unless we find his replacement. It will be interesting to see if Hutson can be his replacement.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Am I the only one who prefers Barron to Struble and Kovacevic?

We shouldn’t sell low on Barron. He was playing well with Guhle early on.

I feel Struble has been given kind of a free pass. He has the worst 5v5 metrics on the team.

Reactions: Miller Time

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Not sure why you’re saying DR being ready is a joke. He’s already a better D than Barron. Playing 17 minutes a night , .5/PPG, +6 in a playoff push. The kids gonna be a stud

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not sure why you’re saying DR being ready is a joke. He’s already a better D than Barron. Playing 17 minutes a night , .5/PPG, +6 in a playoff push. The kids gonna be a stud
Because he isn't. I'm not contesting whether or not he'll be a stud what I am saying is he still has work to do on his game before he can hope to graduate.
That he is +6 can be attributed to stellar goaltending like a good many of the Rocket players. He's had more than 6 opponents get behind him in the short amount of time he's been here and has been bailed each and every time. He does a lot of things really well but he still needs to get his timing and decision making down. There are a number of analysis in this thread that concur...

And no he wasn't playing better than Barron when Barron got recalled.

I'll repent for using the word joke if it offends you but as for Reinbacher being ready nope.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Because he isn't. I'm not contesting whether or not he'll be a stud what I am saying is he still has work to do on his game before he can hope to graduate.
That he is +6 can be attributed to stellar goaltending like a good many of the Rocket players. He's had more than 6 opponents get behind him in the short amount of time he's been here and has been bailed each and every time. He does a lot of thing really well but he still needs to get his timing and decision making down. There are a number of analysis in this thread that concur...

And no he wasn't playing better than Barron when Barron got recalled.

I'll repent for using the word joke if it offends you but as for Reinbacher being ready nope.
Reinbacher has not been all that good the past few games. He has alot of work to do and I would hope he plays all of next season in Laval. He isn't close to being ready and I agree, he was not better than Barron.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Being only 22 and 6'2" and 200 lbs. Scored 9 goals in 93 NHL games, I hate to give up on Barron
If we have to move him because of the log jam, hopefully we get a forward with as much potential as a forward as Barron has upside as a dman.

Since he can't be sent down without going through waivers starting next year, if we have to move him, it may have to be to a rebuilding team that can afford to play him as he plays through his mistakes during his development.

We already might have Reinbacjer Mailloux, and Guhle on the right side. Guhle on the right, to make room for Matheson, Hutson, and Xhekaj in the left.

Teams like the Sharks, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Kraken, Flames, and Penguins could be interested in young D like Barron, Struble, and Harris. I wonder if we can attach the Jets 1st to one of them to move into the mid teens range of the 1st round. And then attach another to go even higher and get two of Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginila, Eiserman, Helenius.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Am I the only one who prefers Barron to Struble and Kovacevic?

We shouldn’t sell low on Barron. He was playing well with Guhle early on.

I feel Struble has been given kind of a free pass. He has the worst 5v5 metrics on the team.

A lot of posters give rookie D a free pass their first year, then are critical of them after that. For young D, unless they are bona fide stars, they are going to have a lot of ups and downs early in their career.

We've seen Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Harris and Kovacevic hyped up their first years then criticized this year when they struggled, next year I am sure people will shit on Struble when he has some bad games. People just need to be patient, we've seen a lot of good things from these young D and any mistakes will just help them in the future.

One other item of note, for our young LHD, a lot of them have benefited from playing with a steady veteran in Savard who plays a simple game which can help them.. we saw him have a huge impact on Xhekaj when he was called up.

For a RHD like Barron, we don't have someone like Savard on the left side who can help be a steady partner for him. Our vet on the left side is Matheson who is a good player however he is the complete opposite of Savard, he takes a lot of risks offensively and is often lost or out of position defensively which makes it hard for young D to play with him. Barron looked his best with Guhle as he is a steady partner, however Guhle has also had his struggles which was to be expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad