Value of: Just to play Devils advocate Value of Bergeron at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Now to be clear I don't expect this to happen I expect Boston to make the playoffs.

But we are about 25% of the way through the season and Boston is currently outside a playoff spot.

So just to play Devils advocate If Boston did continue to struggle and Bergeron DID decide he was open to being a rental what would he get? What would you want.

I acknowledge he would be the ultimate playoff rental whoever got him would be the absolute favorite without a doubt.

I think Boston would get a kings ransom.

EVERY playoff team would want him.

Mekkh

Nov 18, 2021
Wrong thread -_-

But yeah give me Bergeron for Eklund + 1st + something

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
there out of a playoff spot with a half dozen games in hand . as a habs fan embracing the tank , i would think bergeron is going no where and the bruins will be one of the four teams from the atlantic in the playoffs.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He's not going anywhere. :laugh:

I would gladly give McMichael + 1st + for him at 50% though. Even if it was just a rental move.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Now to be clear I don't expect this to happen I expect Boston to make the playoffs.

But we are about 25% of the way through the season and Boston is currently outside a playoff spot.

So just to play Devils advocate If Boston did continue to struggle and Bergeron DID decide he was open to being a rental what would he get? What would you want.

I acknowledge he would be the ultimate playoff rental whoever got him would be the absolute favorite without a doubt.

The Bruins are on pace for 103 points. How is that 'struggling'?

You know you have to factor games played into the standings, right?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

There would be no shortage of suitors.

The return for Boston would be massive.

Bergeron is everything you want in a player that has the ability to impact all three zones.

If that was the direction the Bruins were going, they should move Marchand as well at which point the rebuild would be short

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bergeron will retire a Bruin. If in the next few years things go downhill in Boston (very possible!), I don’t think Marchand for sure needs the “always a Bruin” treatment.

But they are both performing well, the team is on pace for 103 points, and will be major TDL players with oodles of deadline cap space.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Image him playing playing in Edmonton . He would help the D so much and be a great mentor to Holloway . Why can't dreams ever come true .

Bourgault +1st + Lavoie + 2023 2nd . I purposely put 2 french players in there to rub it in the Canadians faces .

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The Bruins didn't name him the captain a relatively short while ago to trade him away in his 18th straight season playing for Boston. He will retire a Bruins after more than 20 seasons, ~1400 games, 400+ goals, ~1100 points, to see his number go up to the rafters and be a first ballot hall of famer. As how it's supposed to be. End of story.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Fwiw, they're not out of the playoffs, they're in a wild card spot.

They have the fewest games played in the league, but based on win percent (which is the only really way to judge the standings when some teams have 16 games played and others have 21), they are in.

I think the Bruins are going to need the first 20 games to get things sorted out internally with all the new players and combos. Hopefully they'll hit their stride in the second quarter.

As for Bergeron's trade value, it's hard to picture him being willing to waive. I'd put the chances at less than 1%. But if he did, I'd imagine a 1st and a good prospect. Deadline deals never end up being as big as people say.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021

They have the fewest games played in the league, but based on win percent (which is the only really way to judge the standings when some teams have 16 games played and others have 21), they are in.

I think the Bruins are going to need the first 20 games to get things sorted out internally with all the new players and combos. Hopefully they'll hit their stride in the second quarter.

As for Bergeron's trade value, it's hard to picture him being willing to waive. I'd put the chances at less than 1%. But if he did, I'd imagine a 1st and a good prospect. Deadline deals never end up being as big as people say.
it might be a bit more, but agree it's not what's being discussed above.

36yrs old, 18 yrs in the league, UFA at the end of the season.

great player? of course

but UFA's aren't gonna pull those kinds of returns

and didnt Coffey do a bit of 'cup chasing' at the end of his career ? I'm sure others have as well

and yes, there are some that stayed the course and with the team they were already on

to the OP, it's not about being traded as some have noted he prolly won't be. it's about what kind of value he would return IF he were traded

this is just fantasy folks.. ease up

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

True but I believe there are exceptions to every rule and Bergeron is an exception he's the ultimate playoff rental

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Depends...

If both Bergeron and Boston anticipate a reunion on the first day of FA this summer, it limits what contracts they'll be willing to accept in return...

For example, Calgary would seem like a great fit, but the Bruins would require expiring contracts coming back from a team near the cap, which means Calgary couldn't include Monahan or Lucic in the deal since they're both signed through next season

And if Bergeron is definitely re-signing in the summer, Boston doesn't need to be all that demanding in trade talks, since whatever they get is essentially gravy given they'll be playing meaningless hockey anyway until the off-season, and then have Bergeron back next year...

To New York: Bergeron

To Boston: Kravtsov, STL's 2022 2nd

Rangers add a veteran top 6 C for the rest of the season at the cost of a disgruntled employee

Bruins get a young offensive winger with a lot of upside who could benefit from a change of scenery, and a 2nd rd pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad