Just how good has Ryan Miller been?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I thought everyone on here agreed that miller "wasn't elite?" This was debated TO DEATH on here not too long ago, and people who called him elite were basically called idiots. Did everyone change their mind, or what?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I thought everyone on here agreed that miller "wasn't elite?" This was debated TO DEATH on here not too long ago, and people who called him elite were basically called idiots. Did everyone change their mind, or what?

I wouldn't give him Lundqvist's deal, and he's only in the conversation for team USA starter because Quick fell off the map. I wouldn't be surprised still if he doesn't start more than a round robin game. In what is clearly his best season in 4 years, he's not really in the Vezina conversation.

I mean, we're all in love with the fact that he's clearly the best player on what is clearly the worst team in franchise history, and he might even be one of the top five hottest goalies in the NHL at this moment, but that doesn't necessarily mean he leapfrogs Rinne, Rask, Lundqvist, Quick and Niemi. He's having a stellar half season. Look at his career body of work, though. You'll notice a lot more time spent in the 10-20 range than playing as a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

The point is Ryan Miller is real good right now. We should be smart enough to know that he'll swing back around to his career average sooner than later.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I wouldn't give him Lundqvist's deal, and he's only in the conversation for team USA starter because Quick fell off the map. I wouldn't be surprised still if he doesn't start more than a round robin game. In what is clearly his best season in 4 years, he's not really in the Vezina conversation.

I mean, we're all in love with the fact that he's clearly the best player on what is clearly the worst team in franchise history, and he might even be one of the top five hottest goalies in the NHL at this moment, but that doesn't necessarily mean he leapfrogs Rinne, Rask, Lundqvist, Quick and Niemi. He's having a stellar half season. Look at his career body of work, though. You'll notice a lot more time spent in the 10-20 range than playing as a top 5 goalie in the NHL.

The point is Ryan Miller is real good right now. We should be smart enough to know that he'll swing back around to his career average sooner than later.

Miller has always been better then Niemi and Quick. Tuukka Rask has never played more then 45 games in a season, and more then 36 only once. Rinnes SVP is only .002 higher then Millers for their career and Rinne plays in a pure defensive system behind Shea ****in Weber.

Miller is was and always will be a top 10 goalie. Saying Niemi is better then Miller is a god damn joke.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wouldn't give him Lundqvist's deal, and he's only in the conversation for team USA starter because Quick fell off the map. I wouldn't be surprised still if he doesn't start more than a round robin game.

He's in the conversation because he is playing very well. Lets not try too hard to dismiss that.

In what is clearly his best season in 4 years, he's not really in the Vezina conversation.

Who cares?

Man you really go out of your way to piss on the guy.

He has been playing real good this season and that's the point of the thread. What he may do later this year or next year is irrelevant.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
He has been playing real good this season and that's the point of the thread. What he may do later this year or next year is irrelevant.

I was responding to a guy who was calling us all out for what was said about Miller in the offseason. So the conversation took a turn towards judging Miller's career, and I think my comments were fair in the context of his career.

Miller's definitely a top 10 goalie over his career just because he's been consistent, and few guys have done that. But put it this way: his median NHL season isn't as a top 10 goalie in the league. I'd say he has moments of utter brilliance, and we're happy to be in one, but I'd stop short of calling him elite overall.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Everyone has a different definition of what elite is.

In my definition... Miller had an elite year in the last Olympics

Other years he's been good to very good

To say Miller will always be a top 10 goalie is funny.

So in the future when he's 41 and still playing in the NHL as a back up ... He's still top 10 in the league. Well, maybe in goals allowed he will.

In their prime ... Multi year "elite" goalies (just a few)

Hasek
Brodeur
Roy
Plante
Sawchuk
Parent
Dryden

Yea, my list is extremely small to throw around "elite" or "superstar" or "best ever played".

Miller has not had enough "elite" years to be called "elite". He's usually good to very good. That's just me :dunno:

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I've always considered Miller to be the best of the second tier of NHL goalies. Which mean from year to year he's capable of Vezina play with a good team or of being an average starter. You don't expect him to be a Vezina candidate but you also expect to be solid in goal every year.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So in comparison with any and all other starting goalies over the past 3-4 years, with say a minimum of 100 games played, where does Miller rank in terms of ...

SV%
GAA
Wins
Losses

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad