OT: Just got a massive hydro bill

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I moved into a new place in December, and got my first hydro bill - damn near $600!

I called Hydro Ottawa to find out how the hell that happened, but of course I'm not the first dimwit to call them saying my bill is too high (and good luck proving a negative, while I'm at it).

I live in a 1-bedroom ground floor apartment in a 11-storey building with baseboard heaters (the likely culprit). I have an ensuite washer/dryer, and do 2-3 loads a week. Is there any rational explanation as to how my bill ended up so high, or am I justified in thinking that there's no earthly possibility that me and my cat went through 4300+ kwh in two months?

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
baseboards. I rent out a townhouse unit that has baseboard heating and lived there a few years back and every winter my bills were around 850. look into low energy block heaters if its only a 1 bedroom , will save you money in the long run.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Yes, those baseboard heaters are energy hogs. If you have to use them, set them at a low temperature and always turn them off while you're out.

Also, you probably don't need to do that much laundry.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I was laughing at the laundry too I go through like one maybe 2 on a busy week, baskets a week with my wife as well.

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
Is that entire bill energy usage? Or is there some kind of account opening admin fee, or deposit or something? Because my first gas bill was like that. Don't remember for hydro, though.

Tips to save energy:

Try to avoid operating your dishwasher, washing machine, stove, etc during peak hours. Energy is cheaper after 7pm on weekdays.

If your thermostat has a scheduling function, turn the heat down during the day when you're away.

Keep blinds and curtains open when the sun is shining, as that helps heat your space.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
How do you go through 2-3 loads of laundry a week?

My lights, my darks, and my bed sheets :nod:

I think I'm just spoiled - the last place I was in was on the top floor of an old walkup and had the old-style radiators. Even in the winter my hydro bills were $50 every other month since the place practically heated itself.

And I just emailed my landlord to ask him to install programmable thermostats.

Section ThirtyOne

Feb 19, 2009
Kitchener-Waterloo
600 a month? That's outrageous.

Baseboard heaters are bad, but not THAT bad. I heat a ground floor (read: cold) unit of similar size with baseboard heaters and it is always less than $200/mo.

dasboot

Jajajaja
Sep 12, 2010
My clothes definitely take up 3 loads + a week. But I wouldn't know because that's what women are for.

BeerandHockey

╚(Þ_Þ)╝
Jun 10, 2009
BAR_B_Q_HAVEN
600 a month? That's outrageous.

Baseboard heaters are bad, but not THAT bad. I heat a ground floor (read: cold) unit of similar size with baseboard heaters and it is always less than $200/mo.

Hydro bill is not per month, its every 2 months.

300 per month is not all that outrageous when you factor in baseboard heating. Are the windows old? Windows can make a huge energy difference.

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
I moved into a new place in December, and got my first hydro bill - damn near $600!

I called Hydro Ottawa to find out how the hell that happened, but of course I'm not the first dimwit to call them saying my bill is too high (and good luck proving a negative, while I'm at it).

I live in a 1-bedroom ground floor apartment in a 11-storey building with baseboard heaters (the likely culprit). I have an ensuite washer/dryer, and do 2-3 loads a week. Is there any rational explanation as to how my bill ended up so high, or am I justified in thinking that there's no earthly possibility that me and my cat went through 4300+ kwh in two months?

Look into LEAP. Or ask the Hydro Ottawa reps about it.

Sixxpackjack

Jan 13, 2008
Nova Scotia
I have a small 1000sq/ft, 1 bedroom raised bungalow house. I heat with electric baseboard heat. I just got my power bill and it was $400. No I also have a woodstove, But, I only use it evenings and weekends. It barley burns enough to really matter most evenings but works well on the weekends.

Just guessing but, even if I didnt use my woodstove I doubt my bill would be $600.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Is this the first place you had where you had to pay hydro under your name? Could be a security deposit. Although that would have been stated.

Isn't it nice we have to pay down the Ontario Hydro's debt. ****ing hell.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Check your wiring.

I had a friend of mine get a huge hydro bill. An electrician friend of ours checked out his place. Someone had re-routed some wires into the unit below. People do this to run small grow ops.

Might be something to check out. Particularly if you've noticed that one of your outlets, or an appliance, doesn't work.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
One thing I definitely noticed after moving to Victoria: $35 for hydro every two months...

I miss some things, winter isn't one of them... :)

Jan 24, 2006
Ottawa
baseboards. I rent out a townhouse unit that has baseboard heating and lived there a few years back and every winter my bills were around 850. look into low energy block heaters if its only a 1 bedroom , will save you money in the long run.

This. Baseboard heaters use up a ridiculous amount of electricity while not being very efficient.

At least the warm weather is just around the corner. Make sure to turn them off ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad