Confirmed with Link: Juraj Slafkovsky re-signs with the Canadiens 8 x $7.6M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
7.6 M cap hit by 2026-2027 + will be the equivalent of a 6.8 M cap hit by 2023-2024 (83.5M vs 92M total cap).

This is more than decent even for a perennial 60pts forward. If Slaf get to PPG, this is a long term steal

It completely avoid NHL inflation, for most of a potential star player peak.

Sure but it's a bit premature to call him a perennial 60 pts guys.

Also if we look at what price comes exactly 60pts last year: Garland Karlsson Vatrano Coyle Benn Gaudreau.

7.6m is in the 1.5- 2 millions too much for 60 pts, as you mentioned something close to a ppg is more what it require for that money to be well spent

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Also if we look at what price comes exactly 60pts last year: Garland Karlsson Vatrano Coyle Benn Gaudreau.

7.6m is in the 1.5- 2 millions too much for 60 pts, as you mentioned something close to a ppg is more what it require for that money to be well spent

He has the ability to cause so much chaos on defenders which won't always show up on the goals and assists column.... with his ability to take up real estate in busy areas, and occupy defenders and his ability to disrupt plays on the forcheck.

I'll refrain from putting a hard point expectation on him. My broad expectation is that he will he a valuable component of a good top line.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Different time today with the growing cap calculations vs 2017 when Slavin was signed. In 2017, cap rose $2M annually ish. We went from 83.5M to $88M this season and then $92M+ for 25/26. I'll be surprised if we can get Guhle for less than $6M on a 7 or 8 year term.

We won't have cap issues in the next 8 years. The cap issues probably comes when Suzuki needs a new contract. 6 more years. Imagine signing Guhle to 6 years and having to sign both Suzuki and Guhle in the same offseason? At a time when Dach, Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, ets will already have raises?

8 year term with Guhle is the smart plan and I am sure Gorton/Hughes agree. Hughes did say it was discussed with Guhle but it didn't happen as quickly as Slaf. I expect them to get it done and it will be 8x $6M-$7.25M range. Hopefully closer to $6M.
slaf at 7.6x8 is a very reasonable bet taken by hughes. guhle at 6-7.25x8 is not, imo. if slaf truly breaks out, he could be 11m+ guy and there is a tremedous upside in signing him, even if he is still an unproven player. guhle at 6-7.25m is relatively close what he could expect to earn when he is much more proven and closer to free agency. i don' t see why would hughes take that risk right now, when slavin who is comparable player to guhle, just got below 6.5m on a 8 year deal.

they should offer guhle 5x8, maaaybe 5.5x8. if he refuses, wait&see at least until next summer.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I think the comparable used is probably Svechnikov. Svech signed his deal after his ELC was over and he averaged 56 points over his ELC and had a pro-rated 62 points season in the final year.

Slaf is making slightly less then Svech while in a higher cap environment but if Slaf comes in at 65ish points next season their production will be quite comparable on top of both being that big PWF top pick.

Reactions: waitin425

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If you sign Guhle for 6 years, he is UFA at age 28/29 vs 30/31 (8 year term). Cap will be north of $100M when Guhle finishes that 6 year term.

Age 28/29, strong top 4D, and a $100M+ cap. You don't think he can't earn $9M by then? Who knows but I'm not betting against it. At top 4D will probably be $8M by then.

I hate the 6 year term idea with Guhle. It does not overlap our contending years enough.
No I don’t.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you sign Guhle for 6 years, he is UFA at age 28/29 vs 30/31 (8 year term). Cap will be north of $100M when Guhle finishes that 6 year term.

Age 28/29, strong top 4D, and a $100M+ cap. You don't think he can't earn $9M by then? Who knows but I'm not betting against it. At top 4D will probably be $8M by then.

I hate the 6 year term idea with Guhle. It does not overlap our contending years enough.

I get your point. I'm going the other way.

Bridge deal now, 2 or 3 years for Guhle to set his actual value (too variable now). Then 7 or 8 years to get to age 32-33, best years for a good defenceman.

If folks are ready to let Matheson go in June 2026 at age 32, why not Guhle at age 33?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I get your point. I'm going the other way.

Bridge deal now, 2 or 3 years for Guhle to set his actual value (too variable now). Then 7 or 8 years to get to age 32-33, best years for a good defenceman.

If folks are ready to let Matheson go in June 2026 at age 32, why not Guhle at age 33?
I'd absolutely bridge Ghule , odds are we have a guy or two that ends up better than him. gotta keep that internal cap in check. Unless he wants a sweetheart deal

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So you basically don't believe in Guhle and you also don't think salaries will rise with a higher cap. When he is age 28/29, the cap is probably $100M+
I think Guhle has limited offensive potential. I think he will be a solid stay at home defensemen, I don't think he will ever cost 9m per year. That is not the samething as saying I don't like him or that I don't beleive in him.

I think he will anchor our 2nd pair for years to come.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Already showing way more ability in negotiations than any Toronto GM.
To be fair its not like our guys are even ppg...makes it a bit easier...

But there's certainly something to say about the culture in toronto that is rotten , AM34 is a money greedy loser , compare this guys attitude and way of presenting himself to Slaf or Nick and its laughable

Reactions: waitin425

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To be fair its not like our guys are even ppg...makes it a bit easier...

But there's certainly something to say about the culture in toronto that is rotten , AM34 is a money greedy loser , compare this guys attitude and way of presenting himself to Slaf or Nick and its laughable

Yeah but even in those negotiations, they lost on term, money and NMC/NTC. They continually fold for every negotiation and even Nylander was like, if Matthews and/or Marner don't take a discount, I'm not doing it again.. so he just got overpaid, then Marner will want more than Nylander and just under Matthews while being able to block any trade so they'll give in.

Just a much more tenable situation here and Hughes has mentioned building this culture since day 1 and he's seeing it through. Way more refreshing.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
For Guhle i'd be looking for a similar contract than Lundell personally.
I love ghule but unless he gets better I don't see how he can command north of that , we can't simply give out free money because the guy munches top 4 minutes on a bottom 5 team , I'm just calling it like I see it . If he reaches another level this season or the team plays above 500 all year with him leading the charge on D ill have no problem giving him real money

Reactions: Redux91

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I love ghule but unless he gets better I don't see how he can command north of that , we can't simply give out free money because the guy munches top 4 minutes on a bottom 5 team , I'm just calling it like I see it . If he reaches another level this season or the team plays above 500 all year with him leading the charge on D ill have no problem giving him real money
Which is why a contract like Lundell would make sense. 5 millions a year for 6 years. That brings Guhle to fee agency at the end of the contract and at 5 millions there's very little risk as you don't get much for 5 millions in 2024 on the UFA market.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Guhle has limited offensive potential. I think he will be a solid stay at home defensemen, I don't think he will ever cost 9m per year. That is not the samething as saying I don't like him or that I don't beleive in him.

I think he will anchor our 2nd pair for years to come.

I don't think he is entirely a stay at home Dman. I would say Romanov is that type. There is a difference and middle ground there somewhere.

Guhle is a very strong top 4D. When I stay strong, I mean both physically and top 4D value. When the cap is $100M+, a strong top 4D cost will cost more than what you think today. Lets not live in 2017 forever. The cost for top of the line-up players is going to increase. It's gone from $4M to $6M to $8M over the years (depending on ELC/RFA/UFA circumstances).

If you sign Guhle for 6 years, he gets to ride his prime and exit that at age 28 or 29. That's dangerous in terms of what you might have to pay him and once again... in 6 years, I bet you the cap is $100M. It's projected to be $92M for 25/26.

Where did this start? 6 year term vs 8. I hate the 6 year term because we have the cap space now and Guhle is our best D man. Just get the 8x $7M contract done now. Ride that until he is age 31 and possibly trade him as a rental or let him walk. Overpayment in the first 2 years perhaps but that's where we have the cap flexibility. We will not have the cap flexibility in 4-6 years time. Decisions we make today are critical.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So you basically don't believe in Guhle and you also don't think salaries will rise with a higher cap. When he is age 28/29, the cap is probably $100M+
i'd prefer to sign Guhle to a short term bridge deal to get a better idea on his value.

He's never going to be a player whose going to break the bank because he's never going to provide the kind of offense that comes along with it.

But his injuries, personally, leave me weary about committing long term right now.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
i'd prefer to sign Guhle to a short term bridge deal to get a better idea on his value.

He's never going to be a player whose going to break the bank because he's never going to provide the kind of offense that comes along with it.

But his injuries, personally, leave me weary about committing long term right now.
This, all day long.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad