Confirmed with Link: Juraj Slafkovsky re-signs with the Canadiens 8 x $7.6M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No worries. His past mistakes can be still fresh on some fans minds.

Guhle is a top 4D now.

* A bridge for 2 or 3 years is probably close to $4M - $5M.
* 6 year term is probably around $6M
* 8 year term is probably around $6M - $7.25M range

Why would we try to save cap by lowering Guhle to 6 years in term? Makes no sense for me. We don't have cap issues and he's not the type of player we are worried about fading in his prime.

6 year term would be 3 years of transition and 3 years of contention. At that time, Demidov, Dach, Hutson, Reinbacher, Roy, Newhook, Mailloux, etc will all have raises. Best to get Guhle for the full 8 at a good rate. That would be 5 years of contending vs 3 with Guhle. Imagine having a cap problem if Guhle ask for $9M+ if we gave him 6 year term? Those 2 years could be massive
I think Guhle balks at 8yr term and bets on himself w 5-6yr term

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Calculated risk. A good one to take. This is what we should’ve done with Subban.

That contract should be a steal in a couple of years.
'should be' , as I'm sure a few said about Skinner, Anderson, etc etc etc
It used to take a few years to get a big contract, now they just hand them out like candy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
No worries. His past mistakes can be still fresh on some fans minds.

Guhle is a top 4D now.

* A bridge for 2 or 3 years is probably close to $4M - $5M.
* 6 year term is probably around $6M
* 8 year term is probably around $6M - $7.25M range

Why would we try to save cap by lowering Guhle to 6 years in term? Makes no sense for me. We don't have cap issues and he's not the type of player we are worried about fading in his prime.

6 year term would be 3 years of transition and 3 years of contention. At that time, Demidov, Dach, Hutson, Reinbacher, Roy, Newhook, Mailloux, etc will all have raises. Best to get Guhle for the full 8 at a good rate. That would be 5 years of contending vs 3 with Guhle. Imagine having a cap problem if Guhle ask for $9M+ if we gave him 6 year term? Those 2 years could be massive
Posting quick over lunch. Someone mentioned Slavin as a comparison. I think that's reasonable.

Slavin's deal at 23yo was 7% of cap for $5.3 million x 7 years. In today's dollars, that's $6.16 million. makes sense to me.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
'should be' , as I'm sure a few said about Skinner, Anderson, etc etc etc
It used to take a few years to get a big contract, now they just hand them out like candy
Sure. It's a risk and nobody would say otherwise. The guy could get hurt or maybe fall off.

But would you rather bridge him and save for a couple of years (while we aren't contenders) and then have him blow us away with his play only to have to re-up with him later (when we hopefully are contenders) at much more money for much longer term?

I think it's worth the risk on this guy.

Reactions: cphabs and Habs

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Sure. It's a risk and nobody would say otherwise. The guy could get hurt or maybe fall off.

But would you rather bridge him and save for a couple of years (while we aren't contenders) and then have him blow us away with his play only to have to re-up with him later (when we hopefully are contenders) at much more money for much longer term?

Habs management agrees with you.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
We heard that about Caufield and then we heard that about Slaf.
I totally disagree Guhle has also demonstrated a love for where he is and who he's surrounded with.
The hardest thing to nail down for me will be the $$$ not the term.
The player who I always thought he closely resembled is Jaccob Slavin. And he just signed for $6.5m per year for 8 years. I think around that would be a good number.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The player who I always thought he closely resembled is Jaccob Slavin. And he just signed for $6.5m per year for 8 years. I think around that would be a good number.
I think he gets less Slavin is a seasoned veteran.
People tend to forget how young these guys are. They will have a chance at another lucrative contract if they stay healthy.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002

If they can get other players to sign in Montreal it will all work out. I also am ok with being close to last for the next season as well, some more franchise calibre prospects will fall to Montreal.

I'm not entirely bashing the contracts, just amazed at how quickly players get paid these days, ELC expire so damn fast, crazy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Posting quick over lunch. Someone mentioned Slavin as a comparison. I think that's reasonable.

Slavin's deal at 23yo was 7% of cap for $5.3 million x 7 years. In today's dollars, that's $6.16 million. makes sense to me.

I prefer 8 years because that takes Guhle to age 31 vs 29. We might not have the cap space to extend at that stage and it's one of those 30+ contracts. A bit premature to talk about that kind of stuff but it's a real salary cap challenge. I have 3 more years of transition and then 5+ of contention. Get Guhle locked up for 8 and then you have him for those 5 years of contention (vs 3).

8x $6M-$7.25M range. That's where my mind is at. Hopefully closer to $6M but I bet you Guhle and his agent will push bridge if we are trying to lower the 8 year term to $6M.

The thing that has changed is also the cap and growth to come. We are over the covid flat cap years and revenue will grow. In 2017+, the growth was not projected to grow like it will from today+. Agents will be all over this growing cap IMO.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If they can get other players to sign in Montreal it will all work out. I also am ok with being close to last for the next season as well, some more franchise calibre prospects will fall to Montreal.

I'm not entirely bashing the contracts, just amazed at how quickly players get paid these days, ELC expire so damn fast, crazy
I think it comes down to risk management. GMs have seen what those insane contracts are when players hit their prime so they figure it's better to pay less now than more later. I'm sure some of these will blow up in their faces but I get the philosophy. Slaf's a big first overall who's done nothing but improve... I get why they went the way they did. I advocated for it a while ago and I think most people will be happy with this deal.

Who knows though, injuries can get in the way. He could drop off. You never know.

Reactions: Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he gets less Slavin is a seasoned veteran.
People tend to forget how young these guys are. They will have a chance at another lucrative contract if they stay healthy.

Different time today with the growing cap calculations vs 2017 when Slavin was signed. In 2017, cap rose $2M annually ish. We went from 83.5M to $88M this season and then $92M+ for 25/26. I'll be surprised if we can get Guhle for less than $6M on a 7 or 8 year term.

We won't have cap issues in the next 8 years. The cap issues probably comes when Suzuki needs a new contract. 6 more years. Imagine signing Guhle to 6 years and having to sign both Suzuki and Guhle in the same offseason? At a time when Dach, Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, ets will already have raises?

8 year term with Guhle is the smart plan and I am sure Gorton/Hughes agree. Hughes did say it was discussed with Guhle but it didn't happen as quickly as Slaf. I expect them to get it done and it will be 8x $6M-$7.25M range. Hopefully closer to $6M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad