Confirmed with Link: Juraj Slafkovsky re-signs with the Canadiens 8 x $7.6M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I love the way they are positioning themselves. No stupid contracts given out to aging veterans, and the internal cap structure is benchmarked by a pretty friendly hit on Suzuki.

This leaves good cap flexibility, and more bargaining power to bring a really big fish from either the trade or ufa market.

Bridging Slaf would have been a Subban type mistake IMO. This is a good signing and I'm sure Slaf has more to give than 20 goals and 50 pts. Not even close to his prime yet and still has one more season to finish that ELC.

By the time the 3rd season comes. (One ELC and 1st year of 8 completed), it's going to be a value contract. Cap will be $95M+ by then and most top 6F's will be north of $8M and growing in that 8 year term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I had a friend tell me “8mil for a guy that’s played 35 good games seems steep”. I don’t agree but I can see why someone would say that

Same type of fan would have criticized bridging Subban because he demanded $9M later on.

Yes, Slaf had a great 2nd half with Suzuki. Suzuki helped a lot but Slaf was a rink rat working on his game all season long. Showing up early for practice and leaving late. He's committed to putting the time in to improve and we will have talent to surround him with.

If he averages 25-30 goals and 60-70 pts in that 8 year contract, it's becomes fair. Remember, it's a growing cap. Anything north of this of gravy.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I just don't see the danger in a 2 to 4 year deal for Guhle at lower AAV. Even if he hits his potential as a 30 to 35 point 2 way D, he won't command much more than you want to gift him now with.

And 8 years for Xhekaj??? The guy who spent time in Laval last year??? I highly doubt Hughes concurs on that one.
I think Guhle gets locked up for 6-years

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Easy bet, imagine we would have capped Rantanen, Draisaitl, Jack Hughes or Stutzle as 50 points players after they had almost exactly that in their D+2.

Yup. Sometimes you got a good feeling about the players projection and how they are trending. I had that with Subban back when and most of us have that with Slaf. He's putting the time in to improve and that is very important. He's obsessive at improving and that is the most important development ingredient.

All he has to do to earn that 8 year AAV is 25-30 goals and 60-70 pts. $7.6M for a top 6F is the old $6M. Going to take some time for some fans to catch up with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Guhle gets locked up for 6-years

I don't think we have to lower his AAV one bit by going 6 years. He is already a top 4D so lock him up for 8 years as well.

8x $6M-$7.25M range. Get er done.

The more value deals we can have on guys we trust will be good, the better. Because once this roster starts to produce, the point totals will increase for several players. Dach, Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, etc will all need raises when the cap is $95M+ and when we are competing. At some point, someone is leap frogging Suzuki on the AAV and it's probably both Dach and Demidov. And extra 2 years on Guhle could be massive.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Yup. Sometimes you got a good feeling about the players projection and how they are trending. I had that with Subban back when and most of us have that with Slaf. He's putting the time in to improve and that is very important. He's obsessive at improving and that is the most important development ingredient.

All he has to do to earn that 8 year AAV is 25-30 goals and 60-70 pts. $7.6M for a top 6F is the old $6M. Going to take some fans to catch up with that.

100% agree

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm honestly surprised Slaf's agent counseled him to take this deal. I would have told him to keep making the haters hate and get a bigger bag.
Turning down $61 million guaranteed dollars after just a single 50 point season is a massive gamble for a 20 year old. At that point you’re really gambling with your future on the off chance you may be able to get a couple million more a year or two from now. I like these kinds of contracts, we take what looks like a minimal risk that the contract ages poorly and Slafkovsky is already set up for life and focused only on hockey.

Reactions: Tyson

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Same type of fan would have criticized Bergevin for bridging Subban because he demanded $9M later on.

Yes, Slaf had a great 2nd half with Suzuki. Suzuki helped a lot but Slaf was a rink rat working on his game all season long. Showing up early for practice and leaving late. He's committed to putting the time in to improve and we will have talent to surround him with.

If he averages 25-30 goals and 60-70 pts in that 8 year contract, it's becomes fair. Remember, it's a growing cap. Anything north of this of gravy.
Bergy has also made a ton of mistakes so I wouldn’t go there lol but I agree with you otherwise

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry PTSD

No worries. His past mistakes can be still fresh on some fans minds.

I'm ok with that so long as the AAV is below $4.875M, same as how Slaf's is below the top forward's AAV, even if Slaf might turn out better eventually.

Guhle is a top 4D now.

* A bridge for 2 or 3 years is probably close to $4M - $5M.
* 6 year term is probably around $6M
* 8 year term is probably around $6M - $7.25M range

Why would we try to save cap by lowering Guhle to 6 years in term? Makes no sense for me. We don't have cap issues and he's not the type of player we are worried about fading in his prime.

6 year term would be 3 years of transition and 3 years of contention. At that time, Demidov, Dach, Hutson, Reinbacher, Roy, Newhook, Mailloux, etc will all have raises. Best to get Guhle for the full 8 at a good rate. That would be 5 years of contending vs 3 with Guhle. Imagine having a cap problem if Guhle ask for $9M+ if we gave him 6 year term? Those 2 years could be massive

Reactions: StCaufield

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No worries. His past mistakes can be still fresh on some fans minds.

Guhle is a top 4D now.

* A bridge for 2 or 3 years is probably close to $4M - $5M.
* 6 year term is probably around $6M
* 8 year term is probably around $6M - $7.25M range

Why would we try to save cap by lowering Guhle to 6 years in term? Makes no sense for me. We don't have cap issues and he's not the type of player we are worried about fading in his prime.

6 year term would be 3 years of transition and 3 years of contention. At that time, Demidov, Dach, Hutson, Reinbacher, Roy, Newhook, Mailloux, etc will all have raises. Best to get Guhle for the full 8 at a good rate. That would be 5 years of contending vs 3 with Guhle. Imagine having a cap problem if Guhle ask for $9M+ if we gave him 6 year term? Those 2 years could be massive
Guhle is not getting $9M until he does MUCH, MUCH better offensivesly than he has ever shown.

Guhle has had two injury-shortened NHL seasons where he has tqaken up minutes but given up goals in both years, whether playing with Savard or Matheson.

I would take my time with him, he probably is below Reinbacher in the end.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kids sure get paid early in their careers these days.... and for a boatload...

It's a calculation of bridge vs Larger deal vs fair deal now. Also a calculation of % of of growing cap to come.

Covid flat cap is in the past. Rates for top 4D and top 6F are going up. Just don't make the mistake at signing someone like Nurse for $9.25M FFS.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Guhle is not getting $9M until he does MUCH, MUCH better offensivesly than he has ever shown.

Guhle has had two injury-shortened NHL seasons where he has tqaken up minutes but given up goals in both years, whether playing with Savard or Matheson.

The Vlasic contract in Chicago is the perfect comparable and I'd love it if we could get Guhle on something similar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If you sign Guhle for 6 years, he is UFA at age 28/29 vs 30/31 (8 year term). Cap will be north of $100M when Guhle finishes that 6 year term.

Age 28/29, strong top 4D, and a $100M+ cap. You don't think he can't earn $9M by then? Who knows but I'm not betting against it. At top 4D will probably be $8M by then.

I hate the 6 year term idea with Guhle. It does not overlap our contending years enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: billy piton

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It must be said that the Habs are fortunate and its a good sign, because he could have easily have waited, bet on himself and really hold a lot of leverage for his next deal.

Good on Slaf too, that deal is going to be a bargain soon enough.
I'm betting Slaf never expected to play on the first line last season and having the Captain suggest it had to give him a warm fuzzy feeling all over.
He became like a kid in a candy store. He still has plenty of work to do but I was impressed with how he handled both ends of the rink.
Both parties wanted long term and he didn't put himself above said Captain.
It actually re-enforces the standard and shows us how much better players will need to be to break it.
Hughes has done a great job selecting personalities who have values other than $$$$.
I don't see that changing anytime soon. Gorton said "we will see " talking about the free agents "if they think like we do"
That won't change when they go for their home run either.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Same type of fan would have criticized Bergevin for bridging Subban because he demanded $9M later on.

Side point; you know what was wrong with the Subban bridge? It’s that MB practically did nothing with the saved cap space. I’d have been ok with the bridge if it meant we could go balls to the wall with the money… but it just layed there in the stash…

Ugh those waisted years

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm betting Slaf never expected to play on the first line last season and having the Captain suggest it had to give him a warm fuzzy feeling all over.
He became like a kid in a candy store. He still has plenty of work to do but I was impressed with how he handled both ends of the rink.
Both parties wanted long term and he didn't put himself above said Captain.
It actually re-enforces the standard and shows us how much better players will need to be to break it.
Hughes has done a great job selecting personalities who have values other than $$$$.
I don't see that changing anytime soon. Gorton said "we will see " talking about the free agents "if they think like we do"
That won't change when they go for their home run either.

Yup, well said. I'm sure Gorton/Hughes will get aggressive at filling holes but that's not for another 5 years.... once we really know how good this core is and what we are missing. Until then, any move we make on the side, needs to line-up with our long game.

Kids sure get paid early in their careers these days.... and for a boatload...

The cost of signing guys through their prime. Pay a little bit more now or a lot more later.

Reactions: Habs and Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yup, well said. I'm sure Gorton/Hughes will get aggressive at filling holes but that's not for another 5 years.... once we really know how good this core is and what we are missing. Until then, any move we make on the side, needs to line-up with our long game.
I think the time table is slightly more advanced than that.
This year is critical in my mind in terms of setting expectations for our kids who have been here for a couple of seasons now.
I also hope they take veterans to task who aren't performing to the level of their capabilities.
I think next year they will expect a push for the post season and if all goes well and the search will begin in earnest for the missing links.
Hughes will never handcuff himself with stupidity so the good news after that will be how much easier upgrades can be made.
I've said all along our rebuild should be geared towards icing a team with no obvious holes like Vegas started with.
The tweaking starts from there and the Habs can actually shorten the window vs what Vegas did if they don't make the same number of mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad