Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Some players need time to adjust to a higher level. Gauthier has played just 64 NHL games.

For reference, some comparisons:

Points in first 64 career NHL games as a Ranger

Julien Gauthier: 14
Filip Chytil: 22
Jesper Fast: 12
J.T. Miller: 14
Ryan Callahan: 17
Artem Anisimov: 20

Nobody is expecting him to be a star in the NHL. If he can grow into a useful 3rd line winger, that's a win

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Nobody is expecting him to be a star in the NHL. If he can grow into a useful 3rd line winger, that's a win
With the exception of Fast who came over later, those guys were all a good bit younger than Gauthier. I mean everyone develops at their own pace, Gauthier is still clearly showing some development, and there are always exceptions to the rule--but at some point guys are who they are. I'm not suggesting Gauthier is a finished product but he's getting close to the point where what he is, is likely what he remains.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With the exception of Fast who came over later, those guys were all a good bit younger than Gauthier. I mean everyone develops at their own pace, Gauthier is still clearly showing some development, and there are always exceptions to the rule--but at some point guys are who they are. I'm not suggesting Gauthier is a finished product but he's getting close to the point where what he is, is likely what he remains.

It's almost impossible to find a 1-for-1 comparison. It's just to show that players often start slow when getting to a higher level. I think for the expectation of him becoming a decent 3rd liner, the way he's playing and his points are a good indication. He's still 2 years away from reaching his prime (if you go off of what people say about forwards.

Adjusted for age range (21-24):

Jimmy Vesey: 24
Boo Nieves: 18
Oscar Lindberg: 26
Chris Kreider: 30
Mats Zuccarello: 32
Brandon Dubinsky: 23
Dominic Moore: 18
Jamie Lundmark: 23

Tough to find a proper way to filter with Gauthier's 64 games being spread out over 3 seasons.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
As a goalie, there are elements of a player’s game that make them harder or easier to stop. Some guys can generate chances over and over again but are easy to stop, because they telegraph what they’re going to do with the puck, have a slow release, weak power or inaccurate placement.

It’s nice that Gauthier and Chytil generate chances, but I’m starting to wonder if they fall into the category of guys that just can’t finish at the NHL level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's almost impossible to find a 1-for-1 comparison. It's just to show that players often start slow when getting to a higher level. I think for the expectation of him becoming a decent 3rd liner, the way he's playing and his points are a good indication. He's still 2 years away from reaching his prime (if you go off of what people say about forwards.

Adjusted for age range (21-24):

Jimmy Vesey: 24
Boo Nieves: 18
Oscar Lindberg: 26
Chris Kreider: 30
Mats Zuccarello: 32
Brandon Dubinsky: 23
Dominic Moore: 18
Jamie Lundmark: 23

Tough to find a proper way to filter with Gauthier's 64 games being spread out over 3 seasons.
It is definitely tough to find the perfect comp. I definitely wasn't expecting you to do it! And part of that is because Gauthier hasn't been able to find a consistent role until this year. Again, he is showing progress by being impactful on a more regular basis, but I feel like a lot of people (not saying you) have this idea that, "If he just gets a real chance, the points will come!" In reality it's possible, and at this point probably bordering on likely, that the points aren't going to come for him and he'll just be one of the literally endless number of guys who could score prodigiously at every level other than the NHL. And that's okay, because he's becoming a more complete player and proving to be a guy who can generate chances even if he can't turn them into goals, which is still valuable.

I'm just pushing back against the notion that I see quite frequently that he's on the precipice of breaking out. He may be, but he's probably not. Chytil is another guy who is starting to feel this way to me.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
As a goalie, there are elements of a player’s game that make them harder or easier to stop. Some guys can generate chances over and over again but are easy to stop, because they telegraph what they’re going to do with the puck, have a slow release, weak power or inaccurate placement.

It’s nice that Gauthier and Chytil generate chances, but I’m starting to wonder if they fall into the category of guys that just can’t finish at the NHL level.

I think Chytil will be fine and this is mostly a cold streak. He does need to have a good winter/spring points wise.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

He’s got great speed, and drives to the net well, but lacks any elite passing ability, has hands of cement, and an average shot.

If he could ever add a bit of finish in close, he’ll be a hell of a player. Imagine if had Kakko’s hands. Drool.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015

Although Gauthier makes some good moves, especially to the outside, he almost always winds up 6 inches from the goalie with no place to put the puck.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I think Gauthier has a chance to really do some damage later in his career. I realize he is a whipping boy for a lot of people because he has blown more scoring chances than we can count, but even getting those chances is half the battle. He’s got great size and speed. He just needs to develop that scoring touch, which got better each year in the AHL and he was even pacing 40 goals there his last season down there. He might just need consistent ice time at this point. I’d like to see him get Kakko’s minutes for an extended period of time. Can’t be worse.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Julien Gauthier video from 5 years ago.

For a guy that comes from a body building and wrestling family, Rangers should tell Gauthier to get a mean streak. If he became a physical aggressive forward, maybe it would help his career. For a guy that is 6’4 he needs to be aggressive and not a soft forward. He should ask his uncle Denis for the grit and aggressiveness that he had in his career.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
For a guy that comes from a body building and wrestling family, Rangers should tell Gauthier to get a mean streak. If he became a physical aggressive forward, maybe it would help his career. For a guy that is 6’4 he needs to be aggressive and not a soft forward. He should ask his uncle Denis for the grit and aggressiveness that he had in his career.
Well, generally it’s the bigger guys who never get f***ed with. Thus they never develop a mean streak. Kind of makes sense why a guy with JG’s background would be pretty placid. I still think his future is as a scorer anyhow. Don’t see him as a goon or even a grit player.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
JG and Kakko need to improve finishing skills for when they're in tight. Practice backhanders from 3-6 feet out being roofed from different body positions and angles, over and over and over. Then same for forehand (much easier of course). Eventually it will be second nature and after they make a nice move on the D or G they'll get the puck up nice and high and over that pad, because NHL goalies are RARELY completely out of it (unless your name is Panarin or the like) so that final step of getting the puck in the upper 25% of the net is crucial to getting the goals scored. Too often JG is alone on the goalie and the puck either hits the pad or is sent wide on the backhand. Also learning how to get the goalie to open up and slip it 5 hole would be deadly with his speed breaking in on the goalie.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Ive said it many times but if Julien wants to be an Nhl player he needs to work on his defense and become someone who can be used on the pk. He's not a top 6 player, so embrace it and use your speed for defense. He did well backchecking the other night, he just needs to simplify his game imo and realize his role isn't to score but to prevent, to energize, a guy with his size and speed should be able to figure it out. His spot on this team is 4rw

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Ive said it many times but if Julien wants to be an Nhl player he needs to work on his defense and become someone who can be used on the pk. He's not a top 6 player, so embrace it and use your speed for defense. He did well backchecking the other night, he just needs to simplify his game imo and realize his role isn't to score but to prevent, to energize, a guy with his size and speed should be able to figure it out. His spot on this team is 4rw
He has the ability to be a Grabner clone on the PK

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If he makes an effort to throw more checks (he did that in the preseason) he would totally wreck people with the frame he has. But he doesnt need to drive people through the wall, just make contact and theyll go flying. (similar to Kreider).

The 4th line is starving for speed, if he can not hurt them defensively and reinvent his game a little to the tone you suggest it would be great. Although im not sure if theyll be a time where hell be trusted to PK. Would be great for the team if he gets to that level though

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
This. He has much better chance of a lengthy NHL career as a Cogliano/Hagelin type than a watered down Kreider/Myles Wood.

He has the raw physical skills but he doesn't process the game fast enough offensively. That's why he paints himself in a corner on breakaways or his shots always get blocked by the dman.

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
even if he can't turn them into goals, which is still valuable.

I'm just pushing back against the notion that I see quite frequently that he's on the precipice of breaking out. He may be, but he's probably not. Chytil is another guy who is starting to feel this way to me.
I like the positivity. I think a great deal of us are rooting for him in a typical Rangers fan way. We're probably frustrated for him and the Rangers (prob not as much as he is, though) I feel the same, if he pots one soon, you may just have the feeling that quite a few more may follow. "IF" that happens, and as mentioned that he generates chances......then patience has become a virtue.
Just need a good finisher, collecting his garbage.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
200 (3).gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad