Jukka Jalonen appreciation thread

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
Jalonen is top tier. Those tournament wins are good enough itself, but considering the player material on those winning teams (compared to opposition) only makes you appreciate him more. He has shown everybody that hockey is a team game.

Usually his teams are frustrating to watch, focusing on team defence with not too many chances for goals. But thr wjc gold was totally different. He had very good players, so he made them play totally different game, focusing on offence. I think this shows what a smart coach he is.

He brought winning culture to finnish hockey. Thanks for the memories!

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I tip my hat. Jalonen didnt have much to work with this WHC. Barely squeeked into the QFs. But, still managed to battle a team full of NHL stars to OT. Imagine if theyd won. What a story that would have been.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Forego whatever waiting period there is and induct the man into the IIHF hall of fame!

Reactions: ChicagoBullsFan

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Kiitos Jukka!
1716547918265.jpeg
1716548004170.jpeg

1716548250680.jpeg

1716548540682.jpeg

1716548781558.jpeg

Jalonen is in 3rd place, tied with Andy Murray in most world championships as a head coach. Both behind of Arkadi Chernyshyov(9) and Viktor Tihonov(11).

Olympic gold 2022
World championships gold medal 2011, 2019 & 2022
U20 World championships gold medal 2016
World championships silver medal 2021
U17 WHC silver medal 1996
Olympic bronze medal 2010
World championships bronze medal 2008(assistant coach)
U18 EJC gold medal 1995(assistant coach)

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Thanks a lot Jukka and all the best for your future endeavours.
What ever you will you do next you'll be successful.

Every great coach deserves a nick-name.
Joel Qunneville is called coach Q Mike Krzyzewski ( american basketball coach ) is called coach K.
So lets allow Jukka Jalonen being coach JJ.

The lion king has leaved from big stages but memories will live for ever.
KIITOS Jukka.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Don't appreciate the largely negative influence he's had on the Finnish coaching philosophy as a whole. But do appreciate the golds.

I might like him more if every Finnish coach ever didn't try to ape him.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Would have been an ideal hire for New Jersey. I'm guessing they didn't even bother to call his agent.
Don´t think he would do especially well as NHL coach. And at the end you need bit of contacts and ability sell yourself. And Jalonen in grumpy Finn outside of those circles.

But nevertheless hope all the best for him. Amazing amount of success in Finland. I´m going to guess we will meet Jalonen as coach of some other nation someday.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I´m going to guess we will meet Jalonen as coach of some other nation someday.
You should never say never, of course, but what makes this somewhat unlikely is his age. He's 61, and he probably isn't looking for another NT gig instantly after retiring from one. And if he sticks to club team hockey for the next 3-5 seasons, he'll be at an age where most hockey coaches are leaving the rinks behind for good.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Don´t think he would do especially well as NHL coach. And at the end you need bit of contacts and ability sell yourself. And Jalonen in grumpy Finn outside of those circles.

But nevertheless hope all the best for him. Amazing amount of success in Finland. I´m going to guess we will meet Jalonen as coach of some other nation someday.
Give him a more cheerful assistant. OJ or Esa Tikkanen.

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
Whats next, retirement ? Other NT ? NHL ? I hope he ends up in NHL, wont face his teams anytime soon. On serious note, what a career, build that man a statue, or two. He fully deserves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad