Prospect Info: Jujhar Khaira

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Since we have about 5 months on our hands to discuss this crappy organization, why not recognize a good prospect with encouraging potential.

Khaira put up good numbers in his rookie NCAA season as a top 6 center (red shirt freshman), before playing the WHL. He didn't put up eye popping numbers, but was entrusted as the shut down center for defensive minded hockey club. When he did get first line duties he was a near PPG player

Here is what Red Line said about him at the draft
•Redline: we believe this kid could be the biggest/best sleeper of the entire draft. Prince George is so far off the beaten path teams don’t even travel there for WHL games, much less BCHL contests, so he gets zero exposure. But this kid is big, mean, aggressive, nasty, and guess what… he can score too. Does the dirty work in the corners, bangs bodies and wins battles, and loves to initiate heavy contact. Powerful stride with great balance and gets leverage on his hits. Has surprisingly soft hands and puck skills with playmaking ability. Creates lots of space for smaller teammates and makes everyone braver. Very raw defensively.

He has played a couple games in OKC and Barons bloggers are praising his ability to play the tough defensive minutes, and look good offensively at the same time.

He is a big center, who uses his body well down low, and has good vision playing the cycle. He is also good defensively, and is a capable skater

What do you think the future holds for him? I think he is best suited playing another year in junior, followed by 1 or 2 in the AHL. He has the tools to be a good bottom 6 center (like Brodziak), and could even be a fringe top 6 guy if things go right.

I do not see a whole lot of red flags in his game that indicate he will be a bust

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I see him as an at best 3rd line probably 4th line guy however for a younger player he looks like he knows what he is doing re gaining puck possession and playing defense. He has the potential to be the kind of 3/4 line guys that other teams have that we don't.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Surely one of these players outside the 1st round in the last how many years, makes a impact right? God we have sucked at drafting.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
The biggest red flag in his game (in my opinion) is skating and balance.

Haven't had a chance to watch him in OKC yet, so maybe he's addressed it over this season, but at the prospect camp this year, his balance was noticeably worse than most of the other prospects.

That said, everything else about his game is hugely promising to me. I'm thinking he'll wind up as 3/4 line guy in all likelihood, but there's some potential for him to become that nasty 2nd line center we've been looking for since forever.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I see him as an at best 3rd line probably 4th line guy however for a younger player he looks like he knows what he is doing re gaining puck possession and playing defense. He has the potential to be the kind of 3/4 line guys that other teams have that we don't.

That's the way I see it too. His offensive numbers are not encouraging (Brodziak had 90 points in junior, Gordon had 87). But the Silvertips are not exactly a offensive power hosue, and Khaira was 4th in scoring while playing the tough defensive minutes.

Playing in the WHL next season is the best option to allow him to develop offensively, because even if you are a rock defensively, you have to be able to produce offense to even be a fringe NHL player.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Hope he can carve a career out for himself somewhere along the way but he's in tough.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think both him and Moroz are AHL eligble and most likely to play most if not all the season there.

At his age and size how much more can he learn against kids?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Since we have about 5 months on our hands to discuss this crappy organization, why not recognize a good prospect with encouraging potential.

Khaira put up good numbers in his rookie NCAA season as a top 6 center (red shirt freshman), before playing the WHL. He didn't put up eye popping numbers, but was entrusted as the shut down center for defensive minded hockey club. When he did get first line duties he was a near PPG player

Here is what Red Line said about him at the draft

He has played a couple games in OKC and Barons bloggers are praising his ability to play the tough defensive minutes, and look good offensively at the same time.

He is a big center, who uses his body well down low, and has good vision playing the cycle. He is also good defensively, and is a capable skater

What do you think the future holds for him? I think he is best suited playing another year in junior, followed by 1 or 2 in the AHL. He has the tools to be a good bottom 6 center (like Brodziak), and could even be a fringe top 6 guy if things go right.

I do not see a whole lot of red flags in his game that indicate he will be a bust

there is a reason why Prince George is not looked at too much. Their development of players is often focussed on guys heading to uni or elsewhere further down the ranks--they are over due to actually develop someone. They have been around since 72/73 and and have not had a lot of luck

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
there is a reason why Prince George is not looked at too much. Their development of players is often focussed on guys heading to uni or elsewhere further down the ranks--they are over due to actually develop someone. They have been around since 72/73 and and have not had a lot of luck

What other BCHL teams have developed NHLers tho? Benn is a BCHLer, who else in the NHL comes from the BCHL? It seems like a lower tier league like the AJHL (although BCHL teams are better)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What other BCHL teams have developed NHLers tho? Benn is a BCHLer, who else in the NHL comes from the BCHL? It seems like a lower tier league like the AJHL (although BCHL teams are better)

Tons of NHLers played BCHL including our very own Justin Schultz and Shawn Horcoff.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Skating and offence are two flags as others have mentioned. He hasn't exactly been posting eye popping offence in the AHL thus far with 1 goal in 6 games.

Lets see what he does for a season in the AHL before we assume he has NHL upside.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

Beau Bennett, David Jones, Duncan Keith, Jamie Benn, Justin Schultz, Kyle Turris, Ryan Johansen, Scott Gomez, Shawn Horcoff, Tanner Glass, Tyler Bozak, Willie Mitchell, Paul Kariya, Mark Recchi, Glenn Anderson etc.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't think there's any justifying his offensive numbers, no matter the situation, those kind of numbers almost never translate to even a 30 pt player at the NHL level.

But I think what's great about this prospect, is that he seems like a very safe bet to at least contribute to the fourth line. He's a strong, physical, two-way center, even at the AHL level Todd Nelson complimented him on those attributes. Even if there's no offense, I think a mid round pick turning into a dependable every day player on the fourth line is still very good seeing that most players at that draft position don't even make the show.

And who knows, maybe another year in the WHL will help him find some offence to his game, and if that happens, then maybe we got a 3C or even a 2C with size and two-way game, that would be perfect for this team.

Acumen

Feb 10, 2014

A certain BCHLer named Duncan Keith put up 4 points for the Hawks just yesterday. :)

Khaira might be my favorite prospect of the bunch right now. I really like the player and if he pans out he fills a big need... I'm also pretty excited about the prospect of a line with Yakimov and Khaira on it. Hopefully another big lug turns out who can play on their right side (say Pitlick?) and we can have a 3rd or 4th line that cast shadows down the whole ice and can actually play.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I don't think there's any justifying his offensive numbers, no matter the situation, those kind of numbers almost never translate to even a 30 pt player at the NHL level.

But I think what's great about this prospect, is that he seems like a very safe bet to at least contribute to the fourth line. He's a strong, physical, two-way center, even at the AHL level Todd Nelson complimented him on those attributes. Even if there's no offense, I think a mid round pick turning into a dependable every day player on the fourth line is still very good seeing that most players at that draft position don't even make the show.

And who knows, maybe another year in the WHL will help him find some offence to his game, and if that happens, then maybe we got a 3C or even a 2C with size and two-way game, that would be perfect for this team.

I agree 100% with the bolded

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Skating and offence are two flags as others have mentioned. He hasn't exactly been posting eye popping offence in the AHL thus far with 1 goal in 6 games.

Lets see what he does for a season in the AHL before we assume he has NHL upside.

I haven't seen anywhere that skating has been an issue in his time in the AHL. And even the issue with his skating was only his first step quickness, which can be fixed.

His offensive numbers in the AHL haven't been all that good, but he has been playing 4c duties and has had Ewanyk and Kessy (?) as wingers. The reason I am not overly concerned about his lack of offense is that Eric Rodgers and Neil Livingston (Barons season ticket holders and writers on tendthefarm.com), comment that he looks dangerous offensively. The same can not be said about a guy like Ewanyk, who is a pure shutdown center

He also put up impressive numbers as a freshman (25 in 37). Compare that to Bjustad (20 in 29), Kreider (23 in 38),Backes (37 in 39), Stepan (33 in 40), Hayes (14 in 31,then 28 in44) and you can see his numbers in NCAA were pretty good.

Further, at Everett he was used almost solely as the shutdown center, and im sure saw Boyd Gordon like defensive zone starts.

I hope next year he is playing 1c minutes in Everett or 2c minutes in the AHL so he can show what he has offensively

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I've watched the last two Barons games and he's looked very good, the other night especially. He doesn't have amazing speed but never seemed behind and was consistently able to bang bodies and get in on the forecheck, excellent on the boards and has quality hands. One of the more impressive things for me was how his line often took it to Texas on the forecheck and how he was solid distributing and carrying the puck through the neutral zone. He's looked like a very good 3rd liner in the AHL, impressive IMO for a guy who's a pro rookie.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I haven't seen anywhere that skating has been an issue in his time in the AHL. And even the issue with his skating was only his first step quickness, which can be fixed.

His offensive numbers in the AHL haven't been all that good, but he has been playing 4c duties and has had Ewanyk and Kessy (?) as wingers. The reason I am not overly concerned about his lack of offense is that Eric Rodgers and Neil Livingston (Barons season ticket holders and writers on tendthefarm.com), comment that he looks dangerous offensively. The same can not be said about a guy like Ewanyk, who is a pure shutdown center

He also put up impressive numbers as a freshman (25 in 37). Compare that to Bjustad (20 in 29), Kreider (23 in 38),Backes (37 in 39), Stepan (33 in 40), Hayes (14 in 31,then 28 in44) and you can see his numbers in NCAA were pretty good.

Further, at Everett he was used almost solely as the shutdown center, and im sure saw Boyd Gordon like defensive zone starts.

I hope next year he is playing 1c minutes in Everett or 2c minutes in the AHL so he can show what he has offensively

His speed has certainly been passable in the AHL from what i've seen, once he's going he doesn't move bad for a big man. His first step might not be great but it's tough to notice when he comes off the boards as he typically has used his hands and strength to secure possession. The line he's on hasn't chased much and have done a good job forcing the other team to battle for the puck in tough areas. Kharia has showed quality distribution skills, and with that units ability to win battles and create turnovers it's allowed the line to carry the play more often than not. Also in playing against Texas the clear cut best and hottest team in the AHL (13 wins in a row or something stupid) it's not like he's been in a position for success, regardless of his less than stellar linemates, and has yet looked noticably good. I myself thought of starting this thread after the game the other night.

You make a strong point in regards to his offense. Everett is notorious for being very defensive and big physical players often bloom a little later offensively and see their skills translate better as they go pro. Kharia has the potential to be a good middle six forward who pots 20 IMO.

Also David Musil looked very solid the other night, mean SOB at times too. He certainly didn't look like a waste of a 2nd round pick last night. And i don't know what happened to Curtis Hamilton but lately he's actually looked a little like the guy we all saw in the WJC.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Lets also consider his linemates have been guys like Ewanyk-Kessy-Combs and 3 of those games have been against an elite and dominate team in Texas. Trust me in watching the games he's been very promising, there's a reason he's still getting into the action while other prospects are just watching.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
His speed has certainly been passable in the AHL from what i've seen, once he's going he doesn't move bad for a big man. His first step might not be great but it's tough to notice when he comes off the boards as he typically has used his hands and strength to secure possession. The line he's on hasn't chased much and have done a good job forcing the other team to battle for the puck in tough areas. Kharia has showed quality distribution skills, and with that units ability to win battles and create turnovers it's allowed the line to carry the play more often than not. Also in playing against Texas the clear cut best and hottest team in the AHL (13 wins in a row or something stupid) it's not like he's been in a position for success, regardless of his less than stellar linemates, and has yet looked noticably good. I myself thought of starting this thread after the game the other night.

You make a strong point in regards to his offense. Everett is notorious for being very defensive and big physical players often bloom a little later offensively and see their skills translate better as they go pro. Kharia has the potential to be a good middle six forward who pots 20 IMO.

Also David Musil looked very solid the other night, mean SOB at times too. He certainly didn't look like a waste of a 2nd round pick last night.

I heard the same sentiments from other Barons watchers too, so that's why I am more excited for him, than a guy like Ewanyk, whom I haven't heard many encouraging things (that signal an NHL career). I think even if his max potential is a bottom 6 forward, he will still be valuable to the team as a guy that can bring size, but more importantly, bring shut down ability.

These type of forwards become important in playoff situations, as we are seeing with a guy like Bickell and Krueger for the Hawks. Krueger doesn't get much love but he is a very good shutdown 4 who is very cheap

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
he is one of those guys that is *everything* breaks right for him, he could potentially make the show as a 4th line guy.... just not enough offence for a larger role than that, but he has the size to potentially play on the 4th line.... apparently he's not afraid to use that size either, and plays a pretty aggressive game

we're talking about a guy who is likely 3-4 years away from seriously being considered for an NHL spot

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Khaira's definitely an exciting prospect. He has great board work and has a solid 2 way game. I'd love to see what he could do with a dynamic winger. His assist to Yakupov in a pre-season game was a good sample of would he could accomplish with his ability to contain the puck.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Khaira's definitely an exciting prospect. He has great board work and has a solid 2 way game. I'd love to see what he could do with a dynamic winger. His assist to Yakupov in a pre-season game was a good sample of would he could accomplish with his ability to contain the puck.

Man, what an unbelievable pass. Even if its only pre-season, the level of difficulty on the pass is extreme. As a former player, I cant respect this type of play enough. First you have to see above the net, through the goalie and through the D in front. Next you have to make sure you get the pass through 2 defenders (on his knees) and a goalie and then into the wheel house of the forward. And lastly you have to do this all while having the back to the play, and make the pass on your back hand. Probaly a bit of luck, but that was not just a blind pass infront

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I heard the same sentiments from other Barons watchers too, so that's why I am more excited for him, than a guy like Ewanyk, whom I haven't heard many encouraging things (that signal an NHL career). I think even if his max potential is a bottom 6 forward, he will still be valuable to the team as a guy that can bring size, but more importantly, bring shut down ability.

These type of forwards become important in playoff situations, as we are seeing with a guy like Bickell and Krueger for the Hawks. Krueger doesn't get much love but he is a very good shutdown 4 who is very cheap

Just so you know ATDHE.eu has the games streaming, they are just a ways down the list.

Depth is huge, real ****ing players with upside on the 4th lines here would be a sight for sore eyes to put it lightly. Horak, Lander, Pitlick, and Arcobello give me some hope but that's about it and other than Arcobello i wouldn't pencil anyone in on next years team. But **** some competition would be great. Pitlick is the best hope for a Bickell like player and it seems their development has some common parallels.

On Ewanyk, he may be a Cluttebuck type **** disturber one day as he's got good speed and hits all the time, but i doubt his puck skills allow him to go that far. Rookie AHL seasons are tough to gauge sometimes and although i don't think his is anything of note to his credit he's been in the lineup and he's been effective in his role, which happens to be the exact role he was drafted for. He's also a winner in this role so hey who knows...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad