Prospect Info: Jujhar Khaira

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
he is one of those guys that is *everything* breaks right for him, he could potentially make the show as a 4th line guy.... just not enough offence for a larger role than that, but he has the size to potentially play on the 4th line.... apparently he's not afraid to use that size either, and plays a pretty aggressive game

we're talking about a guy who is likely 3-4 years away from seriously being considered for an NHL spot

When he has played a more offensive role with better players he has put up soild numbers. Playing with Petan and Pietla he was the third highest scorer on Michigan Tech despite being a very young freshman. He was also one of the high scoring freshmen in the country as well.

On Everett when he played with Winquist he was basically at a ppg and Everett is a very low scoring team (6th lowest in the WHL with 218 goals). Khaira is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer so his numbers will be impacted by the quality of line mates he has.

He is also still 19 so he will mature physically as well. He is already very strong to start with.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think there's any justifying his offensive numbers, no matter the situation, those kind of numbers almost never translate to even a 30 pt player at the NHL level.

The thing you have to understand about using equivalences/average results to forecast something like this is that the vast majority of the players that make up this "average" will never play in the NHL. Think about how massive the talent pool is compared to available roster spots in the NHL, unless the numbers are elite the chances of falling short of the NHL are exponentially greater than becoming a regular and effective NHLer. His production wasn't anything that hasn't been had by an effective NHLer in that stage of his career before. He scored regularly and was a clear top 6 forward for them.

You have to understand the situations behind all these players are different, most of the players in the talent pool didn't play college the year before, have a massive growth spurt recently, play on a low scoring team, or have the same combination of skill and strength. More often than not the players you are comparing him to have played a couple years or at least one in junior prior to their post draft season, haven't undergone a dramatic physical change with exception to injury, have played on a more offensive club, and don't have either the skill or the strength he does.

It's seems like a glass half full outlook but that's part of what projecting prospects is, an optomistic projection of skills. Nobody knows how much a person is capable of developing within or coping with certain situations. Of course the glass half empty outlook is just as essential, to project where skills won't or can't develop enough. And given that a realistic viewpoint accepts both using equivalences have their value, just not as much as your first paragraph seems to imply.

Of course i'm not saying he's a surefire middle six guy but he's got a lot more going for him than the "typical" prospect. In my experience the most common "late bloomers" are power forwards, i don't know why for sure it just has always seemed this way. Even with size and scoring you can still end up like Curtis Hamilton so it's been very encouraging for me to see him play so well in his time there, i think most of us "saw him good" in preseason too.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Imagine this guy and Moroz on a line in the AHL next year. That would be a big nasty line to play against.

Hopefully his development can continue, he seems to have the tools. big, strong, aggressive, understands the importance of two way play. Seems to have good puck possession and distribution skills. I think a couple years down the road he could be a guy who is defensively responsible and compliments a pair of skilled wingers really well.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I am just happy we have some prospects in the system that have a nasty edge and are driven to make the NHL.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
The thing you have to understand about using equivalences/average results to forecast something like this is that the vast majority of the players that make up this "average" will never play in the NHL. Think about how massive the talent pool is compared to available roster spots in the NHL, unless the numbers are elite the chances of falling short of the NHL are exponentially greater than becoming a regular and effective NHLer. His production wasn't anything that hasn't been had by an effective NHLer in that stage of his career before. He scored regularly and was a clear top 6 forward for them.

You have to understand the situations behind all these players are different, most of the players in the talent pool didn't play college the year before, have a massive growth spurt recently, play on a low scoring team, or have the same combination of skill and strength. More often than not the players you are comparing him to have played a couple years or at least one in junior prior to their post draft season, haven't undergone a dramatic physical change with exception to injury, have played on a more offensive club, and don't have either the skill or the strength he does.

It's seems like a glass half full outlook but that's part of what projecting prospects is, an optomistic projection of skills. Nobody knows how much a person is capable of developing within or coping with certain situations. Of course the glass half empty outlook is just as essential, to project where skills won't or can't develop enough. And given that a realistic viewpoint accepts both using equivalences have their value, just not as much as your first paragraph seems to imply.

Of course i'm not saying he's a surefire middle six guy but he's got a lot more going for him than the "typical" prospect. In my experience the most common "late bloomers" are power forwards, i don't know why for sure it just has always seemed this way. Even with size and scoring you can still end up like Curtis Hamilton so it's been very encouraging for me to see him play so well in his time there, i think most of us "saw him good" in preseason too.

I don't really look into equivalencies for many of the reasons you mentioned. My statement was just based on what I know about the junior stats of many of the successful bottom sixers out there. Even the ones with little offence at the NHL level, tend to have better junior numbers than Khaira put up.

Now I know Khaira's situation is a little unique, that's why I included the last paragraph of the post you're quoting, referring to the potential he has to discover some offence in the WHL next year.

However, I don't know if that will happen, so rather than just guess, I tend to just look at what he's done already. And what he's done already made me write the paragraph you quoted. I know part of evaluating prospects is projecting, but to be honest I haven't heard a reason that would make me project a role beyond what he'll likely reach with what he's already shown. Because you hear all these reasons about defensive team, shutdown role, WHL adjustment, growth, and while all this may be true, it's hard to say if they're significant enough factors to justify the lack of offence. Far be it, that Khaira is the first player to be asked to play a defensive role, or have a growth spurt, or move from college to the WHL. Just my opinion.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Suppose I will post this here for those that have not seen in the Barons thread.

Jujhar-Khaira-Backhand.gif

Here is a gif of Khaira's goal. Courtesy of http://www.tendthefarm.com/gif-jujh...fs/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
My favourite thing about him is that everyone who talks about him talks as if he probably doesn't have the physical talent to be where he is or a few steps above, but they all assume he'll get there anyway based on willpower. This comes from teammates and coaches, who all praise his constant drive and desire to get better.

Even nicer is that so far, they've all been proven right. He has improved every step of the way. If he keeps improving, then we may have a real gem for the 4th line... the kind of guy that teams like the Kings have in spades but most don't. And if he can find offense, then 3rd line isn't out of the question at all.

The problem is, how does one improve offense? Does he go back to the WHL next year and try to focus solely on that? Or does he continue on against better competition in the AHL, and hopefully get sheltered offensive minutes that allow him to work on his offense but still get pro experience? I see benefits to both... so far he's risen to the challenge no matter where the bar has been set. That said, I'm really think the WHL route as a 1st liner dominating is what's best.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The problem is, how does one improve offense? Does he go back to the WHL next year and try to focus solely on that? Or does he continue on against better competition in the AHL, and hopefully get sheltered offensive minutes that allow him to work on his offense but still get pro experience? I see benefits to both... so far he's risen to the challenge no matter where the bar has been set. That said, I'm really think the WHL route as a 1st liner dominating is what's best.

In the WHL you can learn different rush or cycle techniques and try out different things offensively, and get away with them. In the AHL, the coach is likely more strict on what your role is to be (dump it in and defend), and the competition is also tougher too.

The AHL will always be there, and I think going to the WHL again to develop more is a good option.

Ofcourse if he was given good AHL minutes with good linemates, I would be open to it

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
I personally don't see Khaira as a super exciting prospect as some others do.
I think he has 4th line potential, maybe 3rd. If he can turn into a Jordan Nolan type then I would be very happy.

He just didn't score at a high enough level in his draft year +1 in the WHL.

Hopefully one of Pitlick or Khaira can fill that role on the team going forward.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I personally don't see Khaira as a super exciting prospect as some others do.
I think he has 4th line potential, maybe 3rd. If he can turn into a Jordan Nolan type then I would be very happy.

He just didn't score at a high enough level in his draft year +1 in the WHL.

Hopefully one of Pitlick or Khaira can fill that role on the team going forward.

I don't understand this kind of thinking.

We are long overdue producing our own bottom 6 forwards. The best ones come from within and accept their role and help the team.

If he becomes a great 3rd or 4th line NHL playoff quality, especially a center, we should be elated.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada

We are long overdue producing our own bottom 6 forwards. The best ones come from within and accept their role and help the team.

If he becomes a great 3rd or 4th line NHL playoff quality, especially a center, we should be elated.

Yes, we should be elated if he is a quality 4th liner. I don't see it, not do I expect it. What I meant is if everything goes perfectly for him developmentwise I don't see much more than a 4th liner. I don't really have any expectations for him given his poor production in the WHL.

I know this thread has been less than bullish on him, but there have been a bunch of people talking him up. I don't see much there.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yes, we should be elated if he is a quality 4th liner. I don't see it, not do I expect it. What I meant is if everything goes perfectly for him developmentwise I don't see much more than a 4th liner. I don't really have any expectations for him given his poor production in the WHL.

I know this thread has been less than bullish on him, but there have been a bunch of people talking him up. I don't see much there.

Credit where credit is due, he's looked good playing a top AHL team what are people supposed to do ignore that? When you consider all the factors there's a pretty decent prospect here i'd argue, 1 season doesn't make a career and again his scoring stats are something i'm positive many middle 6 NHL forwards have had before at the same age.

This site is hilarious sometimes, either stats are everything or worthless to most on here.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

for sure... i'll be tickled pink if Khaira actually becomes an effective 4th line player for us, especially if its at center.... i just don't think that is a very likely outcome is all... and if it is, its likely 3-4 years away from happening

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

We're not looking at him for point production. We're looking at him for his defensive abilities and ability to keep the puck pinned in the offensive zone. Not every player that makes the NHL is a big point producer in the lower leagues. As an 18 year old, playing a defensive role in Everett he put up 43 in 59 games. At the same age, playing a more offensive role with the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Dwight King put up 44 in 62 games. The point totals don't mean a damned thing.

We need big guys like Kharia on our bottom 6 to make our team tough to play against. His work ethic is through the roof, and he's always moving on the ice. People aren't expecting 40 points out of him a season. But if he can put up 20, with 100 PIM's and a tonne of hits then he'll fit a role we need someone to fill.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
In the WHL you can learn different rush or cycle techniques and try out different things offensively, and get away with them. In the AHL, the coach is likely more strict on what your role is to be (dump it in and defend), and the competition is also tougher too.

The AHL will always be there, and I think going to the WHL again to develop more is a good option.

Ofcourse if he was given good AHL minutes with good linemates, I would be open to it

Or how about the hybrid of both. ECHL ..
Play against men AND play top minutes.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Or how about the hybrid of both. ECHL ..
Play against men AND play top minutes.

Im always skeptical about the ECHL for skater prospects. It seems the development rate for the ECHL is extremely low (Burrows seems to be the only ECHL player to make it).

Im not familiar with how good the league is. But it seems like a wasteland for development. Players that couldn't cut it for whatever reason (size, skating)

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Im always skeptical about the ECHL for skater prospects. It seems the development rate for the ECHL is extremely low (Burrows seems to be the only ECHL player to make it).

Im not familiar with how good the league is. But it seems like a wasteland for development. Players that couldn't cut it for whatever reason (size, skating)

Dmen sometimes spend a year down there and so do goalies but you're right not a lot of forwards do. In saying that most of the forwards that go to the ECHL are overage juniors or at least guys who finished their ELC, not in their 2nd post draft season. Myself i'd like to see him stick to the same team and league for two seasons, scoring is probably better developed in the WHL anyways.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Guys he can play in the AHL next year if he wants to. Nelson trusts him with so much responsibility that I have no doubt he would take him on the team next year. Look at where he is on a playoff AHL team playing against the top seed Texans.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Yes, i am finding it strange that Oilers fans(, one of the worst teams in the history of the nhl...had 2013 not been a shortened year we would be looking at bottom 3 finishes five straight years in a thirty team league. Thats beyond pathetic) would be looking down their nose at a solid depth prospect.

Its lacking palyers of this ilk at the nhl level thats keeps the oilers a circus like second tier franchise and pathetic laughing stock. No real oiler fan would be looking down their nose at a possible big body defensively reliable 3/4c prospect with decent puck distribution and skilled puck retrieval and cycling skills against adults (his first handful of adult games ever)

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
I watched Khaira in Everett about 10 times last year and I have this to say about him: very polished defensive game, amazing puck control ability using his body to keep attackers away from the puck, a bit slow acceleration-wise, but his top speed is good, offensive game never really broke out since he had injuries and was in a tough defensive role, but when given the opportunity he could carry the team.

When I first saw him play, I thought he would be a meaner player like Moroz, he doesn't shy away from the tough stuff, but he's definitely not like Moroz.

I think his best assets are his puck control ability, and his polished defensive game.

His absolute ceiling is as an above-average 3rd line pivot, that plays a shut-down rule and can effectively run the cycle.

If they send him back down to Everett, and he plays a more offensive role, I could see a ppg season where he finds his potential.

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
I watched Khaira in Everett about 10 times last year and I have this to say about him: very polished defensive game, amazing puck control ability using his body to keep attackers away from the puck, a bit slow acceleration-wise, but his top speed is good, offensive game never really broke out since he had injuries and was in a tough defensive role, but when given the opportunity he could carry the team.

When I first saw him play, I thought he would be a meaner player like Moroz, he doesn't shy away from the tough stuff, but he's definitely not like Moroz.

I think his best assets are his puck control ability, and his polished defensive game.

His absolute ceiling is as an above-average 3rd line pivot, that plays a shut-down rule and can effectively run the cycle.

If they send him back down to Everett, and he plays a more offensive role, I could see a ppg season where he finds his potential.

Thanks for your input. I'm keeping my hopes up that he becomes an effective 3rd line center in a couple of years. I don't think it's unrealistic and I fully expect he plays in the AHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad