Player Discussion JT Miller Thread - Family Man

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Both things can be true.

He spent a lot of his time here pre-Tocchet being a bozo. It's clear that previous management created a shit hole environment which didn't mix well with JT's immaturity. McCann is another example of a player that could have thrived here eventually had functioning adults been in charge instead.

But since Tocchet he's mostly taken the bad out of his game and has been a beast for us consistently, a driving force. Yeah he makes some dumb passes sometimes but look around the league, all top players that are counted on to have the puck often and make big plays do dumb stuff once in a while.

I'm more concerned about what he's doing right now, which is playing like a legit 1C on a good team for a modest cap hit relative to his production. That's why he's gone from bozo to fan favorite.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
The 'since Tocchet' talk really underrates how good JT was under both Green and Bruce. JT's 1st season here saw him lead the team in scoring, both season and playoffs. He drove the lotto line, and completely changed the way the team could play.

His 3rd season here was as much of a 1 man show as I've seen. Completely lapped his teammates. If that team makes the playoffs, he gets outside hart votes. That was a bottom 10 team in the league for both goals for, and against. It wasn't some pond hockey like people like to pretend.

JT and Hughes have been consistently high end from the start, so long as they're here, we have a chance.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
30qhk9v2tm391.jpg

Reactions: 4th line culture

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The 'since Tocchet' talk really underrates how good JT was under both Green and Bruce. JT's 1st season here saw him lead the team in scoring, both season and playoffs. He drove the lotto line, and completely changed the way the team could play.

His 3rd season here was as much of a 1 man show as I've seen. Completely lapped his teammates. If that team makes the playoffs, he gets outside hart votes. That was a bottom 10 team in the league for both goals for, and against. It wasn't some pond hockey like people like to pretend.

JT and Hughes have been consistently high end from the start, so long as they're here, we have a chance.
When the trade was first made I was totally against it.
But as he played I stated many time he was an ideal playoff player.
His "ego" moodiness was so overwhelming I thought it was causing division in the room.
But he played like a "driven player" I do think a lot like Messier in the room.
I advocated for trading him because I was thinking of the future of the team, with so few draft picks and being capped out I had the belief that the new management could shorten a retooling so there would be another decade of not hoping to make the playoffs but how deep they would/could go.

When Tocchet was hired I wasn't sure they would get along as two real Alpha guys, but apparently Tocchet backed him and the attitude. I was impressed that Miller became such a defensive center.

I am still concerned about the term of the contract as so much pressure is on his performance and with that attitude he could lose the room or cause issues as his skills diminish with age.

Right now Vancouver has seen his best games and he is right now the backbone of the team.

Tocchet is certainly backing him to the hilt on and off the ice.

One other thing the team and fans didn't need to wait years to see what they had. Trot's even said he always knew he had it in him but he was a bit of a loose cannon with Trots in NY hence that trade.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Don't get me wrong, he's been great for pretty much his entire time in Vancouver. Big-time offensive catalyst which is proven by his PPG+ numbers.

But you could not convince me that the overall player he was prior the last season was somebody you can look at and be like "yeah, he could be the best player on Stanley Cup winner".

The Miller we saw last year? He was definitely that type of player.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I would love to see what Miller would look like with half a season of having two 4th line wingers stapled to him, no longer getting the majority of the Hughes shifts and playing with an injury that effects his skating. I can only imagine the body language.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad