Confirmed with Link: JT Miller signes 5-year extension ($5.25M AAV)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Not sure how I feel about this.

Takes is out of the J.T running (even tho I didn't think it would actually happen)

Gotta get rid of one of Johnson or Killorn now. Gotta keep the Karlsson dream alive!!!!

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
To get JT at this point we’d probably have to get rid of all Callahan, Girardi and Coburn

Reactions: Kusic

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I've decided I'm going to give Miller the year to prove himself because I've managed to lie to myself enough about the fact that I already know how this is going to end. It's a shame that it's only possible for me because a shred optimism comes free as opposed to the shit load of money we're paying Miller. Have mercy and trade and trade him before the NTC kicks in, Yzerman. It's sad to think that we may have to lose a more reliable playoff performer or miss out on Tavares entirely just to make room for this guy because he was a last minute throw in by Jeff Gorton

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I've decided I'm going to give Miller the year to prove himself because I've managed to lie to myself enough about the fact that I already know how this is going to end. It's a shame that it's only possible for me because a shred optimism comes free as opposed to the **** load of money we're paying Miller. Have mercy and trade and trade him before the NTC kicks in, Yzerman. It's sad to think that we may have to lose a more reliable playoff performer or miss out on Tavares entirely just to make room for this guy because he was a last minute throw in by Jeff Gorton

So you think Yzerman is dumb enough to pass on Tavares for Miller given the choice? Great statement, clearly the signing would not have an effect on the decision of Tavares - try and think a little. Don't worry this contract will more likely have you eating crow then Miller not playing to it's value.

Btw it's a limited NTC, which means he can trade him whenever he wants regardless.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
. Don't worry this contract will more likely have you eating crow then Miller not playing to it's value.

OOO!! OOOOO! You mean like in the playoffs?

ScoringGoalsIce Time
Season
AgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWSS%TSATOIATOIFOWFOLFO%HITBLKTKGV
2013-1420NYRNHL402232000030.09379:1620100.012111
2014-1521NYRNHL19178321000323.16027814:39302554.54610615
2015-1622NYRNHL5033-34000040.0118116:103260.015212
2016-1723NYRNHL120331210000170.03719916:33131841.92611512
2017-1824TBLNHL17268-4151101326.35728016:28767052.13641010
CareerNHL57321240442101883.417487515:2112411551.9135282340
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Reactions: berlin

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I've decided I'm going to give Miller the year to prove himself because I've managed to lie to myself enough about the fact that I already know how this is going to end. It's a shame that it's only possible for me because a shred optimism comes free as opposed to the **** load of money we're paying Miller. Have mercy and trade and trade him before the NTC kicks in, Yzerman. It's sad to think that we may have to lose a more reliable playoff performer or miss out on Tavares entirely just to make room for this guy because he was a last minute throw in by Jeff Gorton
Miller was not a throw in yzerman eyes he wanted him from the rangers in the 2014 Marty St. Louis for Ryan Callahan trade and the rangers would not move Miller to the lightning.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

ScoringGoalsIce Time
Season
AgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWSS%TSATOIATOIFOWFOLFO%HITBLKTKGV
2013-1420NYRNHL402232000030.09379:1620100.012111
2014-1521NYRNHL19178321000323.16027814:39302554.54610615
2015-1622NYRNHL5033-34000040.0118116:103260.015212
2016-1723NYRNHL120331210000170.03719916:33131841.92611512
2017-1824TBLNHL17268-4151101326.35728016:28767052.13641010
CareerNHL57321240442101883.417487515:2112411551.9135282340
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

All I see is a guy who had the same amount of ES goals, 1, and points, 4, as Stamkos. But let's crap on every other player that isn't Stamkos.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Pretty sure you know that contracts are primarily based on RS production or maybe I'm giving you too much credit? Or that 25 year olds can improve? Also might be giving you too much credit.

But then again this is a guy who thought Stamkos was a disgusting person for liking a tweet. :laugh:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I dont know why people think that now that we signed Miller to an extension that we wouldnt be able to sign Tavares. He is still meeting with him and if you have a chance to bring in a player of Tavares caliber you do it and then deal with the cap issues after. You find trade partners and make it work. Players like him dont come around often. This is why SY is still going to this meeting even though we just locked up Miller.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Like what? Miller filled the exact prototype everybody here wanted when he was traded for, a big player with size able to create space and feed passes for our stars while also not playing a reckless style that injuries himself. Miller has time to improve his playoff performances, he's a better version of Killorn and Erne combined.

Either an upgrade on Dan Girardi or a guy who's a net-front presence and scores his goals the greasy way, which tends to get teams through the playoffs. The only guy we have who consistently scores those goals is Yanni Gourde, but size really did seem to become an issue for him in the playoffs, so the jury's out on him a bit. The difference between Gourde and Miller is Gourde has another year to prove himself in the playoffs before we have to give him a big contract.

If I'm being optimistic, I'm hoping we can chalk our lack of greasy goals up to yet another coaching problem, rather than a personnel problem. Maybe it's the coach, and not so much the broken leg, that has kept Stamkos from scoring a real low-bottom garbage goal in like a year. Or why we never seem to score on (intentional) deflections, the way other teams do. When Kucherov first came up, he tipped a lot of pucks; now he wouldn't be caught dead in position to do it. Did Kucherov get lazy or is there something else at play? I don't know. But none of our players, outside of Gourde, are willing to pay much of a price to score goals in dirty areas. I'm kind of hoping Jeff Halpern will help with this (...Seriously, what does Cooper even DO now?).

I don't get why so many people think this is a lot of money for Miller. I think it's actually a team-friendly deal for a guy who scores > 50 points/year. My only issue with it is, if we're going to make a trade, he seemed like our best available bait, and it's not like we haven't had success without him in the past.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think its pretty standard for a guy like him in this day and age. If you hit 50 points you are most likely going to command what he got. A team could have easily thrown 6 at him on the open market.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Pretty sure you know that contracts are primarily based on RS production or maybe I'm giving you too much credit? Or that 25 year olds can improve? Also might be giving you too much credit.

But then again this is a guy who thought Stamkos was a disgusting person for liking a tweet. :laugh:

You are terrible at Thunder Buddying. I'll say it again, bold it, turn it red and make the font bigger

WE DO NOT NEED MORE REGULAR SEASON PRODUCTION. MILLER COULD MISS THE WHOLE SEASON AND WE'D HAVE A TEAM GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE DIVISION

I do not want Miller on this team because we are far beyond "small sample size" with him. How long do you think it took the Ranger fans to realize Rick Nash, Ryan Callahan and J.T Miller are not playoff performers? Certainly not more than 40 games. And big big BIG round of applause for the word "improve" when it comes to his playoff performance. Miller can only "improve" relative to the fact that he averages a goal nearly every 20 games. f***ing A the only thing you can do worse is not scoring at all.

This is about holding players accountable through ALL courses of the season. But when it comes to your boy Miller not him. He stands a chance to end the season with more points than Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Gourde and Point while playing with Stamkos and Kucherov but somehow he'll get a free pass come playoff time and get the "hit and miss" and "help" label when all those counterparts score 3 and 4 times as many goals as he does and puts in twice as much work. We could be paying him less than Bryan Rust and I'd still want Miller off the team. We've had enough $5 million playoff bums in guys like Filppula and Callahan and I'll be damned if I'm gonna watch another one when our other (near) $5 million players like Johnson, Palat, Killorn are that much better.

And funny, let's dig into the Stamkos fiasco. Member that time John Tavares took batting practice with the Rays? Member when he posted it on social media? No? Didn't do that?? Well...... member that time Tavares liked 2 or 3 tweets about going somewhere else like Tampa? No? Member when Tavares was doing this when he was arguably the one of the worst players on his team on any given night during his contract year? It didn't happen??!

Man.... this Stamkos fellow sounds like he's a hell of a guy!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
"we don't need more regular season production", literally missed the playoffs one year ago because lack of regular season production. :laugh:

No one said he gets a free pass during playoff time, he's 25 with plenty of years to improve on it, something you don't seem to quite understand. Neither Killorn or Johnson were much better than Miller these playoffs, and he blew all of them away in the regular season, let alone the "that much better."

lol @ the Stamkos part - liked a tweet and went to a baseball game, scum of the Earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stamper

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I dont know why people think that now that we signed Miller to an extension that we wouldnt be able to sign Tavares. He is still meeting with him and if you have a chance to bring in a player of Tavares caliber you do it and then deal with the cap issues after. You find trade partners and make it work. Players like him dont come around often. This is why SY is still going to this meeting even though we just locked up Miller.

Exactly - you have all off-season to play with the cap, no idea why people are dumb enough to think that this signing meant we picked Miller over Tavares or that they'd go meet with him with no intention of singing him if given the chance. We have plenty of moveable cap and where you have centers you need wingers to compliment, having a winger like Miller re sign just makes it that much more attractive. Not so much a good sign for TJ though.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I gotta say, if Stamkos intentionally liked those Toronto related tweets back then, my respect for him would be so much higher. What a master troll job that would be. I still hope they were on purpose.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I gotta say, if Stamkos intentionally liked those Toronto related tweets back then, my respect for him would be so much higher. What a master troll job that would be. I still hope they were on purpose.

Don't think he considered the unintentional troll job on some of the more hypersensitive people in the Tampa fanbase as well - a double whammy, well done Steven.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
he did do the unpurpose to get tampa to pay more and it didnt work

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
he did do the unpurpose to get tampa to pay more and it didnt work

I think it was more him messing with rabid Leaf fans. A lot of them were 100% convinced he was signing there. But you can't really blame them. They had guys in their media (I'm Canadian, so it's unavoidable) saying it was a no-brainer that Stamkos would sign.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
"we don't need more regular season production", literally missed the playoffs one year ago because lack of regular season production.

I thought we missed because Cooper only knows how to chew gum? FFS dude you can't even keep your story straight anymore.

Got any of that footage of Tavares yucking it up with Todd Kalas at Tropicana Field in the midst of a contract negotiation? Funny how we can't prove how Stamkos hasn't been back. Let's say he has. Now we can prove he's merely decided to not play puppy dog for the camera

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Read the tea leaves, you all should be very excited about what this signing means if he had every intention to sign Miller.

That he's going into a meeting with Tavares despite that says that he is extremely motivated to trade Callahan and Coburn. HE'S GOING FOR IT, he's jettisoning the dead weight, and I'm totally on board that it might even cost us some picks or prospects to dump contracts. He has the muscle to do that with our organizational depth.

I hear what you are saying. But RS, how are we going to sign such and such?

Miller is very tradable, Yzerman can rest on his laurels until he needs cap space in a pinch next offseason.

...and guess who's NMC expires just in time for re-up Sergachev and Vasy? Our boy Killer.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I thought we missed because Cooper only knows how to chew gum? FFS dude you can't even keep your story straight anymore.

Got any of that footage of Tavares yucking it up with Todd Kalas at Tropicana Field in the midst of a contract negotiation? Funny how we can't prove how Stamkos hasn't been back. Let's say he has. Now we can prove he's merely decided to not play puppy dog for the camera

Cooper not getting the best out of players is a reason for lack of regular season production that year, probably gave you too much credit to connect that again though. ;)

Not sure what you're getting at with the Stamkos and Tavares comparison, you want a trade or what? Guy went to a baseball game, what a dirt bag. Guys on par with loiterers in terms of scum.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd rather assume he picked Miller over Tavares and is taking this meeting for fun to waste both their times, that's more logical.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad