JT Miller Hit on Kevin Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Puck goes past Naslund. He reaches out which puts him in a vulnerable position. Moore hits him.
Puck goes past Rooney. He reaches out which puts him in a vulnerable position. Miller hits him.

Very similar. Vancouver fans tried to use this to justify assault that ended a players career. Funny when the shoe is on the other foot hey?

Its not the same because Miller was going in the same direction as the puck while Moore changed direction away from the puck and hit Naslund which is clear interference. I guess if you dont know the rules of the game then you shouldnt comment on it. Moore's hit was clear interference because he went for the hit instead of going for the puck. Miller went for the puck and Rooney was going into Miller and got hit. Naslund was not skating towards Moore and Moore made a blindside hit. I guess if you cant tell the difference then I cant help you.

• Haha
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
It looked like Miller knew it was late and mitigated a lot of the contact to be more hip to hip than shoulder to upper body. I think there's a 2 minute interference penalty there, especially if you were calling things as tight as the rest of the period; but I wouldn't be looking at fines or suspension at all.
Not interference, how can Miller avoid a hit when Rooney skating towards him? Miller went for the puck and Rooney went for the puck too, just that Miller collided similar to a head on collision. Cant call it interference, the refs got it right and the SN panel also said there was no penalty.

Miller plays the puck and is about to be engaged one way or another by Rooney. Whether that’s via hit or stick check is impossible to know in the moment. You can easily make the argument that Miller is simply trying to outmuscle the guy he expects to get hit by. It’s not as if he goes out of his way. He’s played the puck and he is being engaged by an opposing player.

I don’t really see this as falling within the spirit of the rule of “interference”. Rooney should ultimately be prepared for contact in that situation and he surprisingly was not.

And yes, the chanting is “unclassy” but that’s an unrelated matter.

- a Bruins fan who would be happy to never see the Canucks win another game
For a fan of a team that beat us 13 years ago in the final, you sure have some hatered for Canucks. Let it go, we arent even in the same conference. Imagine having animosity for things that happened 2 decades ago 🤣

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Rooney never has the puck
Within one second of him touching the puck Rooney gets hit.

Less than 1 second after the puck touches his blade.

At live speed you can count it out.

Rooney touches it at the start of the video, the hit is as it becomes 2 seconds:

The argument for Miller is he throws it near Rooney and then acts as if Rooney has the puck, but Rooney doesn't really move to possess the puck before being blasted.

Ultimately the interference penalty is to protect players from being hit when they (reasonably) aren't expecting to be hit, and this is exactly that. I guess the question is whether this should be a valid strategy as a puck carrier when a defender is skating towards you.

Wowowoeoeo

From this angle that’s a suicide pass.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To me, that looks like a hockey play with an awkward position and an unlucky impact with the boards.

And even if Rooney didn't have the puck, that doesn't make it inherently dirty. Illegal =/= malicious.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don't think it's as "clean" as I initially thought.

Miller had every opportunity to make a play with the puck but instead threw it away to initiate contact and followed through heavily on a player in a very vulnerable position. That's a boarding call through and through. but not a play that was overly egregious. Bad outcome. Hopefully Rooney is ok.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Miller had every opportunity to make a play with the puck but instead threw it away to initiate contact and followed through heavily on a player in a very vulnerable position. That's a boarding call through and through. but not a play that was overly egregious. Bad outcome. Hopefully Rooney is ok.

I felt like it is a the most borderline hit I've seen in a while. I see the arguments for dirty and I see the arguments for clean. It's really close. I'm not going to ask for Miller's head or anything or say that we got jobbed of a penalty or something. The way it transpired in the game, it's fine.

I'm OK in saying it wasn't a penalty, I don't think a fine or suspension is required, just an unfortunate result.

Clean hit. No intention to injure. This going after a guy after a clean hit or a hard clean hit b.s. has to stop. There was no justification for the Flames to go after Miller following that incident. It's been a trend for a while now the last few seasons. If it's something dirty or controversial - sure that's anothe story. But this is just stupid.

I agree that I too dislike a full on scrum going on killing a good play in process when the player pops up after the hit.

But when your teammate is twitching on the ground, clean hit or not, I think that justifies going after the guy that did that to your teammate. Of all the hits to get mad that there was a fight that ended the play, I just don't think this is the one to get annoyed at. The whistle should have been blown anyways due to the injured player on the ice isn't it? The play is effectively dead anyways.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Not interference, how can Miller avoid a hit when Rooney skating towards him? Miller went for the puck and Rooney went for the puck too, just that Miller collided similar to a head on collision. Cant call it interference, the refs got it right and the SN panel also said there was no penalty.

For a fan of a team that beat us 13 years ago in the final, you sure have some hatered for Canucks. Let it go, we arent even in the same conference. Imagine having animosity for things that happened 2 decades ago 🤣

Why would I “let go” of the feeling of a rivalry? Is that not a huge part of what makes sports entertaining?

Fandom is, as a whole, a rather irrational phenomenon. I wouldn’t try to break down the logic of my distaste for the Canucks. I can tell you that you’re unlikely to find any.

Calling it “animosity” is an overstatement. It only affects me so far as watching sports go. I’m not getting into a fight with anyone from Vancouver on the street over it.

Sunan

Jun 6, 2019
México
Looked clean, as for cheering, half the arena can't see the player is injured up against the boards, and those were the fans you could hear.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Hit is clean, borderline late at best, bad result.

Terrible behavior from the Canuck fanbase is the least surprising thing on the planet.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
At live speed you can count it out.

Rooney touches it at the start of the video, the hit is as it becomes 2 seconds:

The argument for Miller is he throws it near Rooney and then acts as if Rooney has the puck, but Rooney doesn't really move to possess the puck before being blasted.

Ultimately the interference penalty is to protect players from being hit when they (reasonably) aren't expecting to be hit, and this is exactly that. I guess the question is whether this should be a valid strategy as a puck carrier when a defender is skating towards you.

There was nothing wrong with that hit

The puck is in play, Rooney reached/tries to swipe at it.

Miller has every right to hit Rooney there, as long as not to the head or other illegal type of hit

Unfortunate result, but thats a good hit and should continue to happen in the NHL.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Yeah, that's called hockey. You can choose to stick check or you can choose to body check. Nothing about the hit was illegal or predatory, he just got rocked.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah, that's called hockey. You can choose to stick check or you can choose to body check. Nothing about the hit was illegal or predatory, he just got rocked.

Yes, It is in fact hockey and things happen fast, but that doesn't change the fact that it fits the exact criteria of a two minute boarding call, which is all I said.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Why would I “let go” of the feeling of a rivalry? Is that not a huge part of what makes sports entertaining?

Fandom is, as a whole, a rather irrational phenomenon. I wouldn’t try to break down the logic of my distaste for the Canucks. I can tell you that you’re unlikely to find any.

Calling it “animosity” is an overstatement. It only affects me so far as watching sports go. I’m not getting into a fight with anyone from Vancouver on the street over it.
I just dont see how Canucks are Bruins rival when finals was 2011 and Bruins play in a different conference. Heck we only play Bruins twice, so not much of a rivalry going on. Even Canucks fans have forgotten about the hate for Bruins, we moved on. Canucks biggest rivals are Oilers and to some extent Flames.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I just dont see how Canucks are Bruins rival when finals was 2011 and Bruins play in a different conference. Heck we only play Bruins twice, so not much of a rivalry going on. Even Canucks fans have forgotten about the hate for Bruins, we moved on. Canucks biggest rivals are Oilers and to some extent Flames.

You’re still trying to find the logic in it…

THERE ISNT ANY!

I guess I still associate the franchise with the likes of its hatable players such as Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows. That being said, I like plenty of the players from the same era like Luongo and the Sedin brothers.

Again, I think you’re dramatizing it by saying I haven’t “moved on”. I don’t really think about it. I just root against them whenever I happen to watch a Canucks game.

kingsholygrail

0-0-0 IT BEGINS!
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
And you know this information, how? Wise guy?
The cheering was loudest after the hit and during the fighting. Once the refs broke it up, the crowd was less noisy. I don't know what they were chanting, but I don't think this is the crime against humanity it has been made out to be.

Crow

May 19, 2014

Puck goes past Naslund. He reaches out which puts him in a vulnerable position. Moore hits him.
Puck goes past Rooney. He reaches out which puts him in a vulnerable position. Miller hits him.

Very similar. Vancouver fans tried to use this to justify assault that ended a players career. Funny when the shoe is on the other foot hey?

Gross oversimplification. You’re 1 step away from calling every hit the same.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Neutral observer here echoing most here. Nothing wrong with the hit, just an unfortunate result. It’s a tough game. Injuries happen, but that’s not a penalty and shouldn’t be one.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver

Moore hit Naslund in the head with his elbow. The damage was mostly caused by the direct contact to the head. That doesn't justify what Bertuzzi did afterward, but it should at least have been a penalty.

Miller didn't come anywhere close to hitting Rooney in the head with the hit. No direct head contact. Wasn't a hit from behind or a blindside hit or anything like that either. The damage was caused by Rooney falling awkwardly into the boards and then Miller losing his balance and falling on top of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad