JT Miller Hit on Kevin Rooney

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Seems like Miller has no intention to play the puck there.

Just looking for a hit really. Watch his head. On Rooney the whole time.
This is wrong. Miller touched the puck toward the boards and his path continued toward the puck. Rooney and he were on a collision course and Rooney, unfortunately, was not ready for the hit.
It was a loose puck and each one was going after it, Rooney was off-balanced which caused most of the problems. However, JT falling on top of him made it worse. Kevin was in awful shape, so I wish him the best.

I agree. An argument can be made that Rooney crossed between Miller and the puck. If Rooney gets the better of the collision, no body says a word because it was a normal hockey hit.

Miller plays the puck and is about to be engaged one way or another by Rooney. Whether that’s via hit or stick check is impossible to know in the moment. You can easily make the argument that Miller is simply trying to outmuscle the guy he expects to get hit by. It’s not as if he goes out of his way. He’s played the puck and he is being engaged by an opposing player.

I don’t really see this as falling within the spirit of the rule of “interference”. Rooney should ultimately be prepared for contact in that situation and he surprisingly was not.

And yes, the chanting is “unclassy” but that’s an unrelated matter.

- a Bruins fan who would be happy to never see the Canucks win another game

If anything, it was interference by Rooney since Miller was chasing the puck toward the boards. To be clear, I don't think it was interference by either player (Miller was eligible to be hit). But to me this is just a weird hockey collision where Rooney skated into Miller's path and Miller was braced to lay the stronger hit.

Always unfortunate to see a guy seriously injured. Ugly result. But not all bad results are penalties or caused by dirty plays.

Reactions: wetcoast

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hitting a player who does not have the puck with a nasty result.

This is a super weird play, though, but I'm interested in the arguments for why Rooney is eligible to be hit here like 2 seconds after losing possession.

lmao cause you watched the video slowed down on twitter genius. In real time that was about half second, dude got clobbered for not being able to handle the puck and not paying attention.

What are you talking about? Counting it out lol?

There's a clock synced on screen. The video starts at 12:26, when Rooney touches the puck it's still 12:26, and when Miller hits Rooney it's 12:25.

Dude watched a slow down video on twitter and thought it was real time, I'm dead :laugh: @Anglesmith

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
This is a clean hit, going to the category of reverse hits.

Very unfortunate result though, just happened to watch this pretty good video about the rise of reverse hits few days ago:

Reactions: wetcoast

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Clean. Miller has to square up and make proper contact IMO. Trying to avoid contact is how things like accidental knee on knee contact occurs (I’m not saying it would in this case), so actually making clean contact like that is the best way to protect one’s self. Obviously it’s a very unfortunate outcome but there was no intent there as far as I can see.

Reactions: Else Ermine

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Clean hit. No intention to injure. This going after a guy after a clean hit or a hard clean hit b.s. has to stop. There was no justification for the Flames to go after Miller following that incident. It's been a trend for a while now the last few seasons. If it's something dirty or controversial - sure that's anothe story. But this is just stupid.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Clean hit. No intention to injure. This going after a guy after a clean hit or a hard clean hit b.s. has to stop. There was no justification for the Flames to go after Miller following that incident. It's been a trend for a while now the last few seasons. If it's something dirty or controversial - sure that's anothe story. But this is just stupid.
it's been happening for decades.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
It’s a clean hit in the contact sense, but it was absolutely predatory. Miller got the puck on his stick and threw it away to make this hit.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
one guy playing for contact, the other not

same situation as a reverse hit imo, just head-on instead of the usual angle. puck carrier has the right to square up for contact too
Pretty much this but someone has to make a thread right?

I guess Kravtsov had a quiet night and the OP had nothing to do?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean I think its just a collision where one guy was ready for it, the other wasn't, and the resulting outcome is bad. I don't think it was dirty, I just think its one of those things that ends up looking that way because it ended badly. Sometimes bad things happen in contact sports.

Reactions: joestevens29

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Out of curiosity, what would you be suspending him for?
Nowadays they suspend for injuries sustained. They had to bring out a stretcher before he was able to regain himself. Clearly he’s injured from a late hit.

JT Miller should understand that Marty Posposil is known to be dirty. Miller should keep his head up from now on when Marty’s on the ice.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like a hit or be hit situation, don't really see how it's dirty. Are both guys just supposed to turn away from the puck?

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Clean hit just unfortunate circumstances. Glad Rooney was okay but what a inappropriate time for the crowd to chant Jt Miller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad