JT Miller Hit on Kevin Rooney

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Clean hit, unfortunate injury. Fans likely didn't realize the seriousness of the injury and quickly stopped chanting (reminds me of when Raymond broke his back on a hit in Boston and the fans cheered that).
They didn’t realize the seriousness of the injury? So did they think the player was laying on the ice motionless for fun?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Clean as a whistle. Unfortunate result.

Rooney had tipped the puck and Miller had touched it so both were eligible targets and one guy was ready and one guy wasn’t.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A play that happens more often than not, nothing about that seems like it’s dirty or predatory at all. Anyone making it out to be is clearly after some sort of agenda or narrative against the Team, Player, or both really.

I don't think that saying this is a common kind of play is a reasonable take, to put it plainly. The vast majority of hits are by the defending player on the puck-carrier. Rarer than this is hitting a player who is coming to defend you while you are carrying the puck.

Even rarer still is hitting a guy when neither of you currently has the puck. Show me another play like this. :laugh:

If the puck off Miller's stick went, for instance, to the right and not near Rooney, the optics of this play would be wildly different, but I don't think that that difference changes the play substantially. The puck being near Rooney did not create the expectation that he was the puck carrier and should prepare for a hit, nor did it make the hit relevant as a form of defence that helped the Canucks.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't really have much problem with the initial hit, think it was more the contact Miller leaned into after the Flames didn't like.

Pretty scummy to chant like that when a guy is unconscious. Canuck fans never known for their class.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think that saying this is a common kind of play is a reasonable take, to put it plainly. The vast majority of hits are by the defending player on the puck-carrier. Rarer than this is hitting a player who is coming to defend you while you are carrying the puck.

Even rarer still is hitting a guy when neither of you currently has the puck. Show me another play like this. :laugh:

If the puck off Miller's stick went, for instance, to the right and not near Rooney, the optics of this play would be wildly different, but I don't think that that difference changes the play substantially. The puck being near Rooney did not create the expectation that he was the puck carrier and should prepare for a hit, nor did it make the hit relevant as a form of defence that helped the Canucks.
It’s still a clean hit that just had an unfortunate result of where the player fell.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Clean hit, shame on the morons chanting Miller's name while the guy was laying on the ice without much motion
Yeah as a Canucks fan it was truly classless. One person at the arena did say that they couldn't see the player down as he was right up against the boards in their side but still, play was obviously blown dead randomly you should know there's an injury on the play. No excuse.

Most Canucks fans on the forum (not hf boards) all agreed it was really classless.

Reactions: Mitts

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It’s still a clean hit that just had an unfortunate result of where the player fell.
There is no such thing as a clean hit on a player who is not eligible to be hit. So regardless of how he made the hit, I think it's definitely going to be the talking point after the game from the Flames exactly why the refs felt like Rooney was eligible to be hit 2 seconds after touching the puck.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Clean hit, shame on the morons chanting Miller's name while the guy was laying on the ice without much motion
I think the reaction to the chanting is over blown. A player they like, they’re cheering a hit he made, it’s not like they were booing Rooney or anything like that, while I by no means like the fans at the arena myself, blokes making it into something it isn’t is quite odd. It’s the first game of the season against a rival team, fans are just excited and are cheering a hit, it’s not that deep.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think the reaction to the chanting is over blown. A player they like, they’re cheering a hit he made, it’s not like they were booing Rooney or anything like that, while I by no means like the fans at the arena myself, blokes making it into something it isn’t is quite odd. It’s the first game of the season against a rival team, fans are just excited and are cheering a hit, it’s not that deep.
I agree. No arm in the air, so they're cheering their guy making a hit. I hope we're not at the point where a hit isn't considered making a play.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
At live speed you can count it out.

Rooney touches it at the start of the video, the hit is as it becomes 2 seconds:

The argument for Miller is he throws it near Rooney and then acts as if Rooney has the puck, but Rooney doesn't really move to possess the puck before being blasted.

Ultimately the interference penalty is to protect players from being hit when they (reasonably) aren't expecting to be hit, and this is exactly that. I guess the question is whether this should be a valid strategy as a puck carrier when a defender is skating towards you.

What are you talking about? Counting it out lol?

There's a clock synced on screen. The video starts at 12:26, when Rooney touches the puck it's still 12:26, and when Miller hits Rooney it's 12:25.

• Haha
Reactions: SpezDispenser

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What are you talking about? Counting it out lol?

There's a clock synced on screen. The video starts at 12:26, when Rooney touches the puck it's still 12:26, and when Miller hits Rooney it's 12:25.
Yes, meaning that the delay is somewhere between 1 and 2 seconds (it could in theory be 1.99 seconds given what you have described). I am referring to the embedded video time. Contact is very close to it ticking to 2 seconds. I'd say the actual delay is something like 1.8 seconds.

On the game clock something like 12:26.9 to 12:25.1 makes sense with this.

Crow

May 19, 2014
People aren’t going to cheer if they know the guy is badly hurt. They obviously weren’t aware while they were cheering and stopped when they became aware.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Miller had more control of the puck than Rooney did

Loss was Karma from the fans cheering for this shit. Have fun without Demko Vancouver. You guys looked like shit once the PPs ended

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
People aren’t going to cheer if they know the guy is badly hurt. They obviously weren’t aware while they were cheering and stopped when they became aware.

They were literally chanting Miller's name when the stretcher was coming out. S

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad