JT Miller Hit on Kevin Rooney

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Clean hit, unfortunate injury. Fans likely didn't realize the seriousness of the injury and quickly stopped chanting (reminds me of when Raymond broke his back on a hit in Boston and the fans cheered that).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
for the sake of discussion,

he looked to want to be still engaged in the play and attempting to retrieve the puck

also, i have no vested agenda in sides it this matter
There is a definitely a connection between this and the "reverse hit." When someone is coming to pursue the puck and you are possessing it, where is the line for what you are allowed to do to "protect yourself?"

If all reverse hits are legal, I guess this is also potentially just another example of that. Potentially? But does the fact that Miller himself had lost the puck already change that?

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Thought it was clean watching it live. Refs seemed to agree. Unfortunate for Rooney and hope he’s better. Game on.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think the hit is dirty. Just happened at an tough place on the ice and it kind of looks like jT lands on him afterwards.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Honestly, where is Miller supposed to go there? I think he was expecting Rooney to have the puck and he turns to brace himself for the hit at the end rather than drive into him.

That head bounce into the board is not good and it's even more unfortunate that Miller falls on his head area at the end. Don't see any ill intent and hope that Rooney is ok.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
It is a clean hit, with a unfortunate result because of Rooney being off balance. The chants while Rooney was down was classless.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unfortunate result but that looks like a textbook shoulder check.
It was a slow motion replay. NHL allows a certain amount of time as the Flames Rooney had touch the puck to be hit. What is the time lapse in real time?
But, as the color guy Ferarro said, it's like a reverse hit where the puck carrier Miller initiates contacts.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
At live speed you can count it out.

Rooney touches it at the start of the video, the hit is as it becomes 2 seconds:

The argument for Miller is he throws it near Rooney and then acts as if Rooney has the puck, but Rooney doesn't really move to possess the puck before being blasted.

Ultimately the interference penalty is to protect players from being hit when they (reasonably) aren't expecting to be hit, and this is exactly that. I guess the question is whether this should be a valid strategy as a puck carrier when a defender is skating towards you.

A play that happens more often than not, nothing about that seems like it’s dirty or predatory at all. Anyone making it out to be is clearly after some sort of agenda or narrative against the Team, Player, or both really.

Seems like Miller has no intention to play the puck there.

Just looking for a hit really. Watch his head. On Rooney the whole time.
It’s almost as if Miller is looking at the opposing team’s players like every other player, it’s diabolical of him. Sinister possibly.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The OP didn't say it was dirty (unless in a subsequent post). He just shared the video.

Eta: just noticed he said Rooney never had the puck, but he did have the puck.

Reactions: Bgav

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad