JT Miller Hit on Kevin Rooney

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Hitting a player who does not have the puck with a nasty result.

This is a super weird play, though, but I'm interested in the arguments for why Rooney is eligible to be hit here like 2 seconds after losing possession.

Video is slowed down though. Looks like a clean hit to me with unfortunate results.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
one guy playing for contact, the other not

same situation as a reverse hit imo, just head-on instead of the usual angle. puck carrier has the right to square up for contact too

Reactions: Canadienna

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Hitting a player who does not have the puck with a nasty result.

This is a super weird play, though, but I'm interested in the arguments for why Rooney is eligible to be hit here like 2 seconds after losing possession.

for the sake of discussion,

he looked to want to be still engaged in the play and attempting to retrieve the puck

also, i have no vested agenda in sides it this matter

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Video is slowed down though. Looks like a clean hit to me with unfortunate results.
At live speed you can count it out.

Rooney touches it at the start of the video, the hit is as it becomes 2 seconds:

The argument for Miller is he throws it near Rooney and then acts as if Rooney has the puck, but Rooney doesn't really move to possess the puck before being blasted.

Ultimately the interference penalty is to protect players from being hit when they (reasonably) aren't expecting to be hit, and this is exactly that. I guess the question is whether this should be a valid strategy as a puck carrier when a defender is skating towards you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad