Value of: JT Miller - available before his July 1st NMC?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Context:
After the OEL trade—many of us Vancouver fans are anxious to see what the team plans to do next. The easy conclusion to jump to is that the Canucks will use this cap-space to immediately try and find band-aid solutions via free agency and by trading away future assets.

Another read of the situation... could be that the Canucks are shifting away from their veteran players to reset their salary cap structure around a core of Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. If you subscribe to this theory, the next logical move would be moving JT Miller. The evidence towards this being a possibility would be the near-trades last year (The leaked-then-cancelled trade to the Islanders at the draft, the leaked-then-cancelled trade to the Penguins at the deadline).

Question:
Do you think JT Miller is available still? Which teams would be interested? And how would you gauge his trade market value? And what do you think the Canucks would be asking for in return?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Like Vancouver fans haven’t been stuffing this narrative down the boards throats for months. The same GM who signed him less than a year ago likely isn’t looking to escape the deal. Just settle in and accept he’s a long term Canuck

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Like Vancouver fans haven’t been stuffing this narrative down the boards throats for months. The same GM who signed him less than a year ago likely isn’t looking to escape the deal. Just settle in and accept he’s a long term Canuck
If that was definitely the case, then how do you explain the Pittsburgh trade that was nearly executed?

I'll also reference that at his end of season remarks, Canucks GM Patrik Allvin said that he had zero intention of buying out OEL—and yet here we are. Things can change?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's not available and shouldn't be. He's part of the core with EP, Hughes, Hronek, Demko and Kuzmenko. Plus whoever we draft at 11 yes were not trading that pick either.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If that was definitely the case, then how do you explain the Pittsburgh trade that was nearly executed?

I'll also reference that at his end of season remarks, Canucks GM Patrik Allvin said that he had zero intention of buying out OEL—and yet here we are. Things can change?
I can’t wait for his NMC to kick in. But knowing this fan base it won’t stop them from making Miller proposals

Reactions: GAGLine and Chan790

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Canuck fans have always seen much more value than fan bases around the league.

The Canucks signed him to a core piece contract. He's a core piece to the team. I doubt they trade him.

In a fantasy situation I don't see values have changed to Canuck fans or fans across the league.

If Canuck fans want to go through the frustration again just go back to the last Miller thread and re read it, nothing has changed .

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

of course GMs will say the opposite of their intentions. If they say up front that they want to buy out OEL, who would entertain a trade for OEL at 50% retained? No one cuz they know in 2 weeks the team will buy him out and the other team could sign him for 2 million or less.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He shouldn’t be available. We’re not going to get a heart and soul 1C anywhere else. The OEL trade pretty much confirms he will stay, as we’re likely to use that cap space to improve the team with the aim to make the playoffs. And technically, with the core they have and finally some cap space, they probably have a chance to do that.

Miller should only be available for something that improves the team at this point, and while those deals could exist, I think they’re unlikely.

Reactions: Grantham

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If there's a team with some lesser but young promising C, a young promising defensive LD plus a not-too-late 1st in this year's draft and that team wants a #1 C, then I think we should trade him. We aren't in a cap bind anymore, so management better not get screwed in any trade involving him when there's real value there.

Reactions: Grantham

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I have no idea how you can say with so much confidence that they won’t trade the pick
Well there is only so many players we can sign to big dollar deals (Miller, Hughes and soon enough EP and Hronek). We need young talent that can step into league within a year or two on ELC. It would be crazy to add another big contract now until we sign EP and Hronek to long term deals. I mean I've been wrong plenty of times so who knows but I really believe we make this pick as this is a deep draft as everyone says. We need to stop bleeding picks sooner or later.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not entirely sure why I clicked on this thread. Maybe I was feeling naively optimistic enough to think it wouldn't be from a Canucks fan and that there might be some other fanbase out there that wants him so we can finally be relieved of the burden of being The Perfect Team To Endlessly Harass Negotiate With. Oh well.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd not be against moving Miller if a good enough offer was given, but something tells me it's all going to be crap offers and insults.

We need a top flight RHD, preferably two way or defensively minded, and at least one 2/3 center back to start.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Millers contract is actually pretty reasonable too. 8mil for a PPG 1C who is a line driver and can produce with inferior line mates is pretty solid.. I get that the contract takes him to 37, and he will decline from that description at some point, but 4 years from now that same description of player will probably be worth 12mil in their prime, so if Miller can still produce around 50-60 pts at the end of his contract, he’ll still be worth it.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Millsy to the canes for necas and morrow, straight across. Unless they want to move some salary as well. He'd help them on the power play quite a bit and has snarl, and the Canucks get younger while filling out Rd and a young center to grow into the 2c spot.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think he's available at all. Without him, the Canucks have only 1 competent NHL Center on their roster, or within the entire organization basically for the entire 3-year horizon.

It was Miller or Horvat. This front office chose JT Miller. He's a Canuck now. For better or worse.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Pretty excited to see how many more times before the draft we see an offer including Miller and the 3rd overall pick.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
With the OEL buyout, Vancouver no longer needs to dump the bad contracts on Garland or Boeser. That’s why they bought OEL out, they couldn’t trade these guys or Myers so they bit a difficult and different bullet.
They can keep these bad contract players now and JT Miller. Vancouver will have a quiet off season. run it back with mostly the same roster as last season.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Is Miller a 1C on a team who would be interested in trading for him, a contender, or a LW that can play at C in a crunch?

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He’s signed until he is 37 and despite what homer Canucks fans may say, there is a decent chance Miller will not be worth that contract at all after 3 years. Signed for too long

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Context:
After the OEL trade—many of us Vancouver fans are anxious to see what the team plans to do next. The easy conclusion to jump to is that the Canucks will use this cap-space to immediately try and find band-aid solutions via free agency and by trading away future assets.

Another read of the situation... could be that the Canucks are shifting away from their veteran players to reset their salary cap structure around a core of Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. If you subscribe to this theory, the next logical move would be moving JT Miller. The evidence towards this being a possibility would be the near-trades last year (The leaked-then-cancelled trade to the Islanders at the draft, the leaked-then-cancelled trade to the Penguins at the deadline).

Question:
Do you think JT Miller is available still? Which teams would be interested? And how would you gauge his trade market value? And what do you think the Canucks would be asking for in return?

No team is trading for him with an immediate $8.5mil signing bonus to pay him, when he hasn't even played for them and is weeks away from being paid out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad