Value of: JT Miller at the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Let's say the Canucks are ready to move on from Miller come TDL time.

It's the right move - he's older than the majority of our core, can put up points but ultimately isn't the play driver we thought we might be in his first season here. No NTC as well, so any teams can participate. Cost-controlled and can play centre/wing.

Mid-late 1st and an A prospect?

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
The problem is the Canucks window is a bit odd right now. The trade can't (shouldn't be) for purely futures, because our hopeful core pieces are here and signed.

So it would hopefully be a straight hockey trade, what level of top 4 RHD is available for the price of a Miller?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Moving Miller would be moronic for the Canucks. He's "older" at 28 years old. Can't run a club with everybody being <25YO.
Issue is the next contract. He would be 30 and looking for his final payday meaning a 6/7 year term at Landy money around $7 mill per. And then after year 1 of his deal, Petey would need a new contract. Boeser is up this summer and Bo also up in 2023 with Miller.

would have to make some decisions sooner or later. They’ve bled way too many assets in recent years for nothing.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Probably returns what he got from Tampa.

Yeah...we'd be better off holding on to him then. Miller isn't even in the top 10 problems Vancouver has right now.

He's two points shy of a point per game in his time with Vancouver, plays with an edge, can play center, can play defense (despite the occasional gaffe), does well with faceoffs...I don't get the rush some fans have to get rid of the guy.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Issue is the next contract. He would be 30 and looking for his final payday meaning a 6/7 year term at Landy money around $7 mill per. And then after year 1 of his deal, Petey would need a new contract. Boeser is up this summer and Bo also up in 2023 with Miller.

would have to make some decisions sooner or later. They’ve bled way too many assets in recent years for nothing.
True.. If they could get the money to work I could see the Islanders as a destination. Haven't heard anything about Miller being available though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
True.. If they could get the money to work I could see the Islanders as a destination. Haven't heard anything about Miller being available though.
Benning and Green are all in on this season. If they are bad enough to be sellers come 2 weeks of the TDL they’ll be fired.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Moving Miller would be moronic for the Canucks. He's "older" at 28 years old. Can't run a club with everybody being <25YO.

Your dogmatic statement is moronic...

Whether or not it makes sense to deal Miller would depend entirely on the return

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I'd see what Columbus was prepared to give up to bring home another Ohio native...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Your dogmatic statement is moronic...

Whether or not it's beneficial to deal Miller would depend entirely on the return
Canucks mindset isn’t to rebuild. So getting futures for him isn’t what they have on their mind today.

Way too early for the Canucks to be discussing trading away key players.

Montreal with all of their changes (not decision based but reactionary to circumstances) put them in a tough position this season to make the playoffs which was their goal to start the year.

Reactions: Foppberg

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Canucks mindset isn’t to rebuild. So getting futures for him isn’t what they have on their mind today.

Way too early for the Canucks to be discussing trading away key players.

Montreal with all of their changes (not decision based but reactionary to circumstances) put them in a tough position this season to make the playoffs which was their goal to start the year.

Edmonton offers McDavid for Miller and Myers...

Jim Benning: "No, sorry, it's way too early to be discussing trading away key players"

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's a shame really. Vancouver has a lot of really nice pieces but continuously handicap themselves with poor signings.

Actually the "poor" signings are the ones performing well lately. Myers has been miles better, Poolman is earning his money, Pearson's been a reasonably solid contributor, OEL and Garland have probably been our best players...Dickinson kills offensive plays, but like...on both sides.

Our coaching and game plan, or glaring lack thereof, seems to be what's killing us this year. I feel a lot of our offense seems to be coming off individual efforts over set plays. The set plays also seem to be "get the puck to Pettersson", who is cold as ice to start the year.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Actually the "poor" signings are the ones performing well lately. Myers has been miles better, Poolman is earning his money, Pearson's been a reasonably solid contributor, OEL and Garland have probably been our best players...Dickinson kills offensive plays, but like...on both sides.

Our coaching and game plan, or glaring lack thereof, seems to be what's killing us this year. I feel a lot of our offense seems to be coming off individual efforts over set plays. The set plays also seem to be "get the puck to Pettersson", who is cold as ice to start the year.

I meant more so in the past 5+ years. Always seemed like once they get rid of 1 bad contract Benning signs another to replace it. To me Vancouver has all the pieces to be a really really good team, except defense. Very difficult to fix via trades/free agency though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Edmonton offers McDavid for Miller and Myers...

Jim Benning: "No, sorry, it's way too early to be discussing trading away key players"
Sure. That’s completely realistic.
GMs look to improve the roster all the time. But the OP is looking towards the TDL. We aren’t even 10 games into the season to be thinking TDL.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I meant more so in the past 5+ years. Always seemed like once they get rid of 1 bad contract Benning signs another to replace it. To me Vancouver has all the pieces to be a really really good team, except defense. Very difficult to fix via trades/free agency though.

OEL, and Myers actually playing decently, has gone a long way. Demko is still the star in our end, like Markstrom and Luongo before him. I mean, we're losing games 2-1, not 5-4, now...so that's an improvement defensively, right?

But having all these pieces on paper and never being able to make a coherent set of plays happen comes down to coaching to me. Green just never uses what he has effectively, and I do hope he's moved before a lot of these good pieces are sold off. We have three players that flirt with that PPG threshold every year, we have two more who are marked just under that but do all the other stuff, and a goalie that stands on his head...and yet one playoff appearance in 7 years, where we beat a team in playins to get there.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
OEL, and Myers actually playing decently, has gone a long way. Demko is still the star in our end, like Markstrom and Luongo before him. I mean, we're losing games 2-1, not 5-4, now...so that's an improvement defensively, right?

But having all these pieces on paper and never being able to make a coherent set of plays happen comes down to coaching to me. Green just never uses what he has effectively, and I do hope he's moved before a lot of these good pieces are sold off. We have three players that flirt with that PPG threshold every year, we have two more who are marked just under that but do all the other stuff, and a goalie that stands on his head...and yet one playoff appearance in 7 years, where we beat a team in playins to get there.

I know Myers, Poolman etc are all playing well (from what I've heard on here anyways), but if that's the majority of your defense you have problems. I think they should've been more aggressive about the D and pursued someone like Ellis in the off season, plus signing someone like Suter.

OEL-Ellis
Suter-Hughes
Myers-xxx?

I'm not sure how the money would've worked, but point being is that I think they shoulda really went all in on revamping the D.

Easy to play armchair GM though lol

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I know Myers, Poolman etc are all playing well (from what I've heard on here anyways), but if that's the majority of your defense you have problems. I think they should've been more aggressive about the D and pursued someone like Ellis in the off season, plus signing someone like Suter.

OEL-Ellis
Suter-Hughes
Myers-xxx?

I'm not sure how the money would've worked, but point being is that I think they shoulda really went all in on revamping the D.

Easy to play armchair GM though lol

Ellis would have been grand, but how would we have afforded him with our first going to Arizona?

Suter would have been a pipe dream for us though. The last top flight defenseman we brought in by free agency was Hamhuis, and he grew up a Canucks fan. I mean...maybe Hammer could have said good things?

Honestly at this point, if we did nothing else, and didn't grab Dickinson or Poolman, that would have been the money for another mid-pairing defenseman, more if we'd opted out of Pearson (who's played well) and Hamonic (who hasn't played at all...yet), I'm sure the numbers would work. But removing Pearson hurts are already weak, so far, top six, and Hamonic did play very well for us last year. Dickinson is a shut down player we didn't really have, and Poolman's role, of a 5thish dman, would have been filled by someone less qualified, and possibly much less effective.

It's fun to dream though.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Ellis would have been grand, but how would we have afforded him with our first going to Arizona?

Suter would have been a pipe dream for us though. The last top flight defenseman we brought in by free agency was Hamhuis, and he grew up a Canucks fan. I mean...maybe Hammer could have said good things?

Honestly at this point, if we did nothing else, and didn't grab Dickinson or Poolman, that would have been the money for another mid-pairing defenseman, more if we'd opted out of Pearson (who's played well) and Hamonic (who hasn't played at all...yet), I'm sure the numbers would work. But removing Pearson hurts are already weak, so far, top six, and Hamonic did play very well for us last year. Dickinson is a shut down player we didn't really have, and Poolman's role, of a 5thish dman, would have been filled by someone less qualified, and possibly much less effective.

It's fun to dream though.

I do love Dickinson. I wish the Avs would've made that move. We're so thin at forward it's not even funny. Going to ruin the cheap MacKinnon window by having zero depth.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Miller is a prime candidate to be traded this off season because he has 1 year left and went from 2nd line production in TB, to elite 1st line production in Van once given the minutes. The best option is to 3 way this. Trade Miller for futures and then trade futures for needs.
If we are out of the playoffs come TDL, he will have more value at that point IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad