Recalled/Assigned: Joshua to NHL/Neighbors to WHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
abuelo-simpson.gif

Reactions: 67Blues

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I’m genuinely asking. I remember a lot of reporting at that time and I believed the Blues had a offer that was essentially the same in dollars but was slightly off.

If I’m wrong in this memory I have no problem owning up and acknowledging you are right about the per year difference. That is part of my code too.
8 x 8 was reported. I don't know what, if anything, they offered on 7 year deal. Never heard that we came higher than 8mm/annually.

Reactions: PocketNines

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Whomever posted that Neighbours needs to be trained as a top-6 player, not a grinder type is right. We don't want him to get too used to a bottom-6 role. He is still malleable.

It was me. I posted in pre-season and first few games of the year that Neighbours did not look good against NHL level talent outside of grinding type plays. I said if he was ever going to be a top 6 talent he needed to go down and dominate at a lower level to develop top 6 skill. I got a ton of crap for saying so. Now the people who gave me crap are saying he needs to be sent down in this thread. Whatever. Its par for the course around here.

Reactions: fcpremix88

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It was me. I posted in pre-season and first few games of the year that Neighbours did not look good against NHL level talent outside of grinding type plays. I said if he was ever going to be a top 6 talent he needed to go down and dominate at a lower level to develop top 6 skill. I got a ton of crap for saying so. Now the people who gave me crap are saying he needs to be sent down in this thread. Whatever. Its par for the course around here.
So I'm one of the folks you are calling out here. I thought he would benefit by being up here, but he seems to have hit a wall and we don't have cap space to carry him while he sits and learns. I do think that it was good for him to have been up for the past 9 games, but sending him down now was right call. Hopefully he goes down and dominates and stars in WJC and comes back next year ready to make impact.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You didn't get a ton of crap for saying so. Most people, including me, could easily see that Neighbours slowed down a ton and was not generating top-6 offense. So, not sure what you're talking about.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You didn't get a ton of crap for saying so. Most people, including me, could easily see that Neighbours slowed down a ton and was not generating top-6 offense. So, not sure what you're talking about.

Then why did you come to defend me when someone said I was "shitting" on Neighbours? Half-Assed GDT: - Game #3: Blues in SinCity - 10pm Eastern
I can't quote it because its a closed GDT, but there is the link. I was also told I was desperately trying to justify my bad draft evaluation of Neighbours. I was told I was way too hard on him and had a standard for him other didn't have to meet. Then there was the general loud disagreement, which is fine, so that may have been exaggeration to call that getting crap. But there were a few examples of people going after me hard because of my opinion on sending Neighbours down.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Then why did you come to defend me when someone said I was "shitting" on Neighbours? Half-Assed GDT: - Game #3: Blues in SinCity - 10pm Eastern
I can't quote it because its a closed GDT, but there is the link. I was also told I was desperately trying to justify my bad draft evaluation of Neighbours. I was told I was way too hard on him and had a standard for him other didn't have to meet. Then there was the general loud disagreement, which is fine, so that may have been exaggeration to call that getting crap. But there were a few examples of people going after me hard because of my opinion on sending Neighbours down.
Right, we were agreeing and I think still are agreeing.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Man for a green 19 year old rookie Neighbors really impressed me in his 9 games with the Blues this season. I didn't really know what to expect with him but he looks like he has a ton of potential for sure, seems like the right idea to let him develop more in juniors though. Size and skill are there just needs to improve on some things.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was impressed with Neighbours. He needs to work on his strength and stamina. Having said that there is no shame in not being able to keep up with the pace of the NHL for a 19 yr old right out of Junior. He needs to work. Don't worry, he will be back.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
From what I recall, the argument was that if he wasn't going to be playing top 6 minutes, then he probably shouldn't be playing on the roster. We can agree to disagree there because many players enter the league on the 4th line and then bounce up the lineup. I was a proponent for him to be starting wherever Berube played him, and he looked pretty good for a 19 year old coming off a covid derailed season in the WHL. His situation was going to end in 1 of two ways. Either he 1) Hits a wall and gets sent down (he did), in which case no one is going to disagree that sending him down is the right move, or 2) He is going to play very well, move up the lineup, and become a good contributor solidifying himself as a potential top 6 player for next year.

What happened to him this year is probably the best thing for his development. He got to train and see how pros go about business, met all the staff and personnel, and now has some goals to work on in a league he will definitely dominate.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Just a couple weeks ago, and I don’t remember which game or I’d link it, Pietrangelo was asked after a game about when he knew he would not be re-signing and he very believably said he didn’t know until it happened. He almost talked about it like he was still a little surprised.

He's playing the PR game as if he had no control over the situation whatsoever. Was he surprised to find himself on a private jet to Vegas as well? Let's not act like he's some innocent victim here. Also, why are you bringing up Petro in this thread about Neighbours? Can we keep the Petro talk to the appropriate threads?

No reason to keep Neighbours up considering our offensive depth, but he certainly proved he'll be a solid NHL player in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I am happy with the decision to send Neighbours down, as I never believed this was the right place to develop his offensive game. While the AHL would be the place, juniors has always been second in my book.

Happy he got his taste of the NHL though. It’s good to see the game in person, know where you fit and what you need to work on.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
He's playing the PR game as if he had no control over the situation whatsoever. Was he surprised to find himself on a private jet to Vegas as well? Let's not act like he's some innocent victim here. Also, why are you bringing up Petro in this thread about Neighbours? Can we keep the Petro talk to the appropriate threads?

No reason to keep Neighbours up considering our offensive depth, but he certainly proved he'll be a solid NHL player in the future.
The only reason I brought him up is that I didn’t bring him up

Reactions: Reality Czech

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Is the main driver for not allowing a 19 year old player to play in the AHL to keep a roster for the juniors teams? I suppose I could see many teams wanting to put players as early as possible into team control and coaching which could disrupt juniors.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Is the main driver for not allowing a 19 year old player to play in the AHL to keep a roster for the juniors teams? I suppose I could see many teams wanting to put players as early as possible into team control and coaching which could disrupt juniors.

Junior teams survive on ticket sales, so they don’t want their stars leaving any sooner than necessary. Having junior teams go broke and shutting down doesn’t help anybody.

Reactions: 67Blues

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
They need to revisit the NHL/AHL/CHL eligibility rules for the few fringe cases that occur every year across the league, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad