Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't remember Lindros as being an elite talent. He was very talented and was very, very good at using his frame and size to his advantage. Had he been a regular sized player I don't think he would have been considered elite. That is my memory anyways, could be off, it has been a few years lol.
He was a modern day Gordie Howe. Would’ve been a top ten all-time player had he not gotten crushed with concussions.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I guess we are talking about two different things, I don't put size as a talent but a physical attribute, Mcdavid's skating is talent because it is learned.
Lindros talent and skill set was at least at Matthews level, in the body of Lucic. We'll never see that again.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Reading through this thread, it seems many are hung up on if Roy is top 6 or 9, but in the end does it actually matter? Obviously all want him to reach his potential, but there’s many other factors involved in where someone plays, like time distribution (2 and 3 lines play very similar minutes), line mates/ chemistry, and roles.

The Habs could end up with a deep team, without a true superstar. If we end up with essentially two 2nd lines (in terms of talent) with a solid 1st line, the minutes will be distributed more evenly.

Not every 3rd line has to play shut down and have limited offensive upside.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 417 and Goldthorpe

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Reading through this thread, it seems many are hung up on if Roy is top 6 or 9, but in the end does it actually matter? Obviously all want him to reach his potential, but there’s many other factors involved in where someone plays, like time distribution (2 and 3 lines play very similar minutes), line mates/ chemistry, and roles.

The Habs could end up with a deep team, without a true superstar. If we end up with essentially two 2 lines (in terms of talent) with a solid 1st line, the minutes will be distributed more evenly.

Not every 3 line has to play shut down and have limited offensive upside.
With the Canadiens poised to potentially drafting two high end forwards this coming draft and with both Dach and Newhook already on the roster, it looks like Roy may have trouble finding a slot on the top two lines. With Beck coming, two more first round picks in 2025 and the possibility of the Canadiens dipping into the free agency market, Roy may well become a numbers casualty.

Nothing remains static.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I guess we are talking about two different things, I don't put size as a talent but a physical attribute, Mcdavid's skating is talent because it is learned.
End of the day, Michael Jordan was who he was because he was a guy who was six foot five. If he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have been as successful. What made Lemieux so good was he had incredible skill in a huge body.

Lindros wasn’t just big, he was mean. He was a nasty scary player who I think had a real shot at becoming the 5th best player of all time. A modern day Gorfie Howe. A bigger, stronger more skilled version of Messier.

As for McD, he could be 5th by the time he’s done now. Totally different skill set from Lindros, he’s like a Lafleur. Super fast with great hands. But he doesn’t smoke between periods… :laugh:

Reactions: Habs13

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
With the Canadiens poised to potentially drafting two high end forwards this coming draft and with both Dach and Newhook already on the roster, it looks like Roy may have trouble finding a slot on the top two lines. With Beck coming, two more first round picks in 2025 and the possibility of the Canadiens dipping into the free agency market, Roy may well become a numbers casualty.

Nothing remains static.
I agree with you that nothing is static, but that could also be a positive for Roy. I believe he has the talent and IQ to be a core player if it hits his potential. Equally it’s up to those new draft pics, other upcoming prospects to perform at a high level to earn their spot and push others out. The competition for spots will be interesting to see for sure.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
End of the day, Michael Jordan was who he was because he was a guy who was six foot five. If he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have been as successful. What made Lemieux so good was he had incredible skill in a huge body.

Lindros wasn’t just big, he was mean. He was a nasty scary player who I think had a real shot at becoming the 5th best player of all time. A modern day Gorfie Howe. A bigger, stronger more skilled version of Messier.

As for McD, he could be 5th by the time he’s done now. Totally different skill set from Lindros, he’s like a Lafleur. Super fast with great hands. But he doesn’t smoke between periods… :laugh:
6'5" is not a tall man in basketball.

Reactions: Miller Time

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He would have been like a giant Mugsy Bogues
IMG_8101.jpeg
l

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree with you that nothing is static, but that could also be a positive for Roy. I believe he has the talent and IQ to be a core player if it hits his potential. Equally it up to those new draft pics, other upcoming prospects to perform at a high level to earn their spot and push others out. The competition for spots will be interesting to see for sure.
Bottom line, there are very few secure forward positions on this evolving team. Other than 5 current forwards ( Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dach and Newhook) , no current player or prospect can claim (or be regarded) as a sure fire top six or nine forward. I suspect that over the coming two years, the composition of our forward group will change dramatically (in fact this group will probably be unrecognizable) with many of these 'current' forwards being replaced with future draft choices, free agents and players acquired through trade.

It should be very exciting to watch this evolution.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't remember Lindros as being an elite talent. He was very talented and was very, very good at using his frame and size to his advantage. Had he been a regular sized player I don't think he would have been considered elite. That is my memory anyways, could be off, it has been a few years lol.
You have to go back, to his Flyers days.....during those years, he was insanely talented and dominating. No other way to describe him.
As the hits and concussions took over, he become far less dominating.
Elite............for those early years with the Flyers.............absolutely.

Reactions: Habs13

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I'm living with major CTE too and I just graduated today with a bachelor's of science in geophysics, WE CAN DO ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING.
This is good to hear. Encouraging stories are important.

But I believe all brain injuries are differant. This does not
detract from your accomplishment at all. Or that you
make useful contrabutions on these boards.

Reactions: Mrb1p

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Bottom line, there are very few secure forward positions on this evolving team. Other than 5 current forwards ( Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Dach and Newhook) , no current player or prospect can claim (or be regarded) as a sure fire top six or nine forward. I suspect that over the coming two years, the composition of our forward group will change dramatically (in fact this group will probably be unrecognizable) with many of these 'current' forwards being replaced with future draft choices, free agents and players acquired through trade.

This is the truth of it and it can extend to the D. I think Guhle is on the team long term , but don't know what spot. The rest of the young D as in Xheraj, Harris, Struble, Barron are a question mark. Xheraj has been the most impact full at times, and Barron has shown some flash, but Struble and Harris have shown some consistent play.

And more forwards and especially D are on the way.

I just want us to keep them as long as we can , give them fair chances, and see who is the best. A rule of thumb, guide, is that D take 4 years ( not sure if that's 4 NHL years or 4 years of pro including say AHL) to show you what they are. Its year 3 next season for most of these young D guys so this year will be real important in assessing what kind of player we have.

Reactions: malcb33

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Nothing remains static.
If he doesn't have a spot on the 2nd, he may have a foot on the door for the 3rd line.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
you are far wrong ; Lindros was one of the top PPG players . His line was absolutely scaring all the teams ; 3 x big monsters able to put the puck in the net and the players ass on the ice

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

Roy is a special talent . Anyway, Habs will play 1 first line and 3 x 2nd lines . :cool:

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Have you seen his wrist shot yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad