Player Discussion Josh Norris (C) 6’-1” - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Not only will he need to show he is 100% healthy, but Norris will also play to show he is still a top-2 C on this team. So I expect him to be a main camp standout performer, it's such a boon to have a goal scoring centre, especially with the level of playmaking wingers we already have on the roster. Norris and Drizzy Batherson make such a good duo, they have had natural chemistry but unfortunately injuries to both saw them not being able to repeat some of their performances a couple of seasons ago.

I am excited about the prospect of a healthy Norris, with him in the roster this team will have no shortage in scoring goals.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think when Pinto came back they moved Norris to the left, that was late Jan. That's roughly a third of Norris' season. Shots aren't a great tool to determine the PP setup when as a team we don't set up shots from the left circle.

Sure there is no perfect to determine the percentage of where he played over the entire season outside of breaking down every single PP. It something to consider even if you expect his shot rate to be lower. The span of when those shots came from the left side is short. It's true that Pinto's return saw more experimenting with the PP though not all of that resulted in Norris being on the left side either. With 75% of Norris' PP TOI coming while Pinto was out of the line up, it's likely less than 20% of his TOI was on the left side of a set up with it happening over the span of 16 games . I think we agree it was a small amount of time and was a symptom of the PP and Norris not producing rather than the team not taking advantage of Norris' skill set.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not only will he need to show he is 100% healthy, but Norris will also play to show he is still a top-2 C on this team. So I expect him to be a main camp standout performer, it's such a boon to have a goal scoring centre, especially with the level of playmaking wingers we already have on the roster. Norris and Drizzy Batherson make such a good duo, they have had natural chemistry but unfortunately injuries to both saw them not being able to repeat some of their performances a couple of seasons ago.

I am excited about the prospect of a healthy Norris, with him in the roster this team will have no shortage in scoring goals.
Pretty big dog fight this year for that spot considering how good Pinto is. I dont think we will see a scenario where any spots are simply handed to guys if there is real competition and thats the way it should be.

I rather just have the cap space rather than all 3 of those guys. Even still I don't think anyone is taking the Norris contract over those other two players due to the risks involved and the uncertainty
Oh come on, this roster with Stamkos instead of Norris would be scary.

Reactions: armani

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Idgaf about being proven wrong or right regarding Norris. I want Norris to have a healthy and successful season period. As long as he's a Senator, I want success for him (heck I want success for him even if he's not on our team, except on nights he plays against us).

I'm not holding my hopes too high because his injury history gives us legitimate concern to be worried about whether he can be healthy for 82 games, and produce at the level we need him to in order to justify his cap hit.

I think he's going to flop, but that's because I'm afraid to be optimistic in his specific case. If he has a 30g, 60p season, I'll happily eat crow (the way I'm happily eating crow over us picking Brady over Zadina), but I'll still cheer for him regardless.

I don't think he'll be what we need him to be, but I'm still cheering for him to become an absolute beast for us.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Pretty big dog fight this year for that spot considering how good Pinto is. I dont think we will see a scenario where any spots are simply handed to guys if there is real competition and thats the way it should be.

Oh come on, this roster with Stamkos instead of Norris would be scary.
I rather spend the cap space on defense and another middle forward

either way comparing Norris to those guys doesn't prove any type of point in his favour

Reactions: bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure there is no perfect to determine the percentage of where he played over the entire season outside of breaking down every single PP. It something to consider even if you expect his shot rate to be lower. The span of when those shots came from the left side is short. It's true that Pinto's return saw more experimenting with the PP though not all of that resulted in Norris being on the left side either. With 75% of Norris' PP TOI coming while Pinto was out of the line up, it's likely less than 20% of his TOI was on the left side of a set up with it happening over the span of 16 games . I think we agree it was a small amount of time and was a symptom of the PP and Norris not producing rather than the team not taking advantage of Norris' skill set.
Well the fact that they experimented at all is evidence it wasn't working. His shoulder was pretty clearly not right all year.

I already said he'd need to do more than just play his normal spot to perform like he did before,

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
No he was

No he wasn’t. Find me the stats on Norris PP shots per game from 2 years ago year compared to last year.

Like I said - if you put Boucher in front of the net he’d look out of place.

Put Norris back in his shooting position and let him score goals lien he’s paid to do
He's paid to be a high end center for 60 mins each night. He can't just be a PP merchant. Dude needs to be way better 5 on 5

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He's paid to be a high end center for 60 mins each night. He can't just be a PP merchant. Dude needs to be way better 5 on 5

Norris has always had really good chemistry with Batherson, would like to see them be a combo that can cement a solid 2nd line for the team. Excited for the season, the P,Ayer’s and coach seemed focused and everything seems like it’s pointing in the right direction

Reactions: HSF

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario

If Pinto proves that he is a better C than Norris, and Norris becomes a full time winger? On top of Greig establishing himself as a great 3C? I'm pretty happy about the future then, only missing 1 top 6 winger instead of the 2 we are currently projected to be missing in ~2 years.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Norris - Pinto - Giroux
Perron - Greig - Amadio

Thats a fairly potent top 9, although I truly think we need to develop and/or draft a top 6 righty to replace Giroux once he hangs em up...

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Hopefully I'm reading too much into it but this makes me wonder if Norris will be ready to start the season.

I think it’s more that they don’t want to say he’ll be back, only to have him experience a set back or not feel ready and basically have a repeat of last year’s panic.

I’m sure there’s a chance he’s not ready, but even if they think he’s 90% likely to be good to go, I can see them saying this to be on the safe side.

Reactions: LiseL

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Something I noticed looking at Norris' stats from last year is that he actually averaged over 1 hit per game(most top 6 forwards in the league actually don't hit that mark), so it's not like he was playing totally soft.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
If Pinto proves that he is a better C than Norris, and Norris becomes a full time winger? On top of Greig establishing himself as a great 3C? I'm pretty happy about the future then, only missing 1 top 6 winger instead of the 2 we are currently projected to be missing in ~2 years.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Norris - Pinto - Giroux
Perron - Greig - Amadio

Thats a fairly potent top 9, although I truly think we need to develop and/or draft a top 6 righty to replace Giroux once he hangs em up...

Uuhhh what happened to Stützle?!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Norris plays soft; I hope he heals fully and starts playing a pro game. But I have doubts.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
More positive comments about Norris, before the Hamonic interview dean and Gord were talking about how they spoke with Norris and how he's feeling confident about where his shoulder is at.
Let’s just get the games going. Dean and gord are clowns left over from the Dorion and before era. I get the signs are positive but let’s not fall into the old Dorion style trap of too high and too low.
Let things play out.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I hope the team is wise enough not to rush him even if he believes himself to be at 100%. You think you can go today? Good! Let's prepare for additional 3-4 weeks!
Norris knew that his career was at risk and that it probably still is. Him having such an exceptional recovery and preparation shows how motivated and professional he is, but he is certainly very frustrated with all of this as well, trying to force himself back by sheer willpower -- you don't want this to spill over taking unnecessary risks.

But I'm trusting the team with this one. They know exactly well that the next injury could be Norris' last injury as a pro athlete, and I trust them to not just 'egoistically' pursue their very own need for the Ottawa center Norris, but also to consider the hockey player and human behind.
Taking a few more weeks and months could end up saving years of his career.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hope the team is wise enough not to rush him even if he believes himself to be at 100%. You think you can go today? Good! Let's prepare for additional 3-4 weeks!
Norris knew that his career was at risk and that it probably still is. Him having such an exceptional recovery and preparation shows how motivated and professional he is, but he is certainly very frustrated with all of this as well, trying to force himself back by sheer willpower -- you don't want this to spill over taking unnecessary risks.

But I'm trusting the team with this one. They know exactly well that the next injury could be Norris' last injury as a pro athlete, and I trust them to not just 'egoistically' pursue their very own need for the Ottawa center Norris, but also to consider the hockey player and human behind.
Taking a few more weeks and months could end up saving years of his career.
What do you mean rush him? He had surgery in Mar, with a 4-6 month expected recovery timeline. 6 months has passed literally tomorrow.

It's not like the team are the ones making up the expected recovery timelines, these are well established timelines for surgeries that have been performed millions of times at this point (maybe I'm exaggerating there, I pulled the number out of my ass but almost certainly 100s of thousands).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More positive comments about Norris, before the Hamonic interview dean and Gord were talking about how they spoke with Norris and how he's feeling confident about where his shoulder is at.
Hoping for the best until I hear is the lights are all green for full participation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoping for the best until I hear is the lights are all green for full participation.
By this time last year we were hearing whispers of something not being right, no news is good news I suppose.

1725987876928.png

Ad

Ad

Ad