Prospect Info: Josh Brook

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've been impressed so far, don't follow the draft much anymore but surprised he fell as he looks like a 1st round pick. Seems to be able to do most things well, but really like the skating/mobility/speed. I don't know what his upside is yet, wouldn't be surprised if it's top pairing in the if everything goes right for him but it's a small sample size.

He's got 7 pts in the last 5 games while being a +9 over that span. But he's also on the top team in the WHL and the highest scoring.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So when do we blame TT when he doesnt pan out?

When he doesn't? 'Cause because I think he was a great pick means absolutely nothing as far as whether he was or not? Just my opinion....you know....the armchair wannabe scout who isn't a professionnal hence he knows nothing?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When he doesn't? 'Cause because I think he was a great pick means absolutely nothing as far as whether he was or not? Just my opinion....you know....the armchair wannabe scout who isn't a professionnal hence he knows nothing?

Where do we draw the line between the pick made and the progression he makes in our organisation? If he looks great when hes untouched, wouldnt that be a win for Timmins?

Reactions: dralaf

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Where do we draw the line between the pick made and the progression he makes in our organisation? If he looks great when hes untouched, wouldnt that be a win for Timmins?

I liken it to poker. It can be right to push all your chips in. You can still lose on the river, though.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It would be true if there was two different persons, one drawing the card and another one making the decision to call, all in or fold.

If the card drawn is random, it doesn't matter who's drawing it. It's all decision making under uncertainty. Just because you make the right choice with the information at hand doesn't mean it pays off.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Unfortunately not as simple as that. 'Cause being touched is not necessarily what stopped a guy's progression. Geez, at one point, it might never be anybody's fault. Sometimes, a guy just stops progressing. His higher point in his career might very well be his junior years. No matter who picks him. And for what team he plays. But if you are a head scout and a scouting group who is rarely able to find anybody (not saying it's the case...), no matter the reason, you will pay the price. Reason why it's surely tough to find guys that are head scout and scouts from 2003 to today.

In the end though, it can't be a win solely for being great when he's untouched. 'Cause Timmins will tell you right now that scouting is not about what a kid does now...it's about what the potential is in the long run. Reason why scouting is difficult. But it's their job.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Fair enough, but the cards arent random.

That's actually true, and a good point - if a bit academic. Dice aren't truly random either, for example. However, because it would be essentially impossible to model the dynamic behaviour of the dice except in static, toy examples, we just say it's random. Unknown behaviours or phenomena are typically modelled as being some kind of random. What matters is how good the model is. For prospects, we can imagine them as having some ''chance'' of making it. You should pick the prospect with the highest ''chance.'' That ''chance'' pretty quickly explodes or goes to 0, though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
At this very moment, it's nice to get the sense that that Josh Brook could've been a first rounder, yet was selected in the second round. Also with Poehling, some would say that right now, he would be at worst a Top-15 pick, yet was selected 25th.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Still love the Brook + Fleury picks. Walford + Tyszka.. not so much. I guess Tyszka isn't that big of a deal because he was a 5th rounder.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I've been throwing Brook into a lot of my proposals in the main boards because I feel he's expendable but this kid is looking very good. I'm expecting him to have a great future in the NHL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Still love the Brook + Fleury picks. Walford + Tyszka.. not so much. I guess Tyszka isn't that big of a deal because he was a 5th rounder.

Isn't Tyszka doing pretty good. Has almost identical numbers to Fleury and is a year younger.

Walford looks to be the one disappointing. Loving what I'm hearing from Brook.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Isn't Tyszka doing pretty good. Has almost identical numbers to Fleury and is a year younger.

Walford looks to be the one disappointing. Loving what I'm hearing from Brook.

Tyszka and Fleury are tied with 21 pts each. Tyszka has 1 less game played. Fleury will likely be in the AHL next year where Tyszka will be back in the WHL.

But Fleury is better in his own end then Tyszka.

Walford in the little I've seen played well in his own end, he's got the frame, skating, speed, mobility. Hard to say what his upside is yet but he has next year to work on things in the WHL before turning pro. He's tied for 2nd on his team in plus/minus with a +14. Brook has impressed me the most, looks like he can do it all, not sure why he wasn't a 1st round pick.

Reactions: Tuggy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Some who have watched both play say that Tyszka has more offensive upside but that Walford is more well rounded.

yea I was saying that as well as I said to keep an eye on Tyszka, he needs a good bit of work in his own end but like the skating/speed/mobility and has had some good pinches. Granted I don't see a ton of WHL games but I have seen them all several times.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Some who have watched both play say that Tyszka has more offensive upside but that Walford is more well rounded.

yeah I meant to actually say Walford's 'production' is disappointing out of al the D we drafted this last one. Thought I heard that Walford actually plays fairly well. Think I also heard someone say earlier on in the season that he might actually be the most pro ready or that his style just translates better at this (or that) point.

I love that all these D are big and can skate. Maybe a few of them can actually crack the bigs. It's still early but it seems like Brook will be an NHLer at least. The other guys seem to need to iron things out but have some good potential.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Is Josh Brook a future NHL Dman or is it too early to tell?

He has not done a whole lot in the WHL playoffs so far.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017

Too early to tell. He’s still 18 right? He’s a project top 4 in the mood of a Jeff Petry. Probably 3-4 years away from being ready.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the card drawn is random, it doesn't matter who's drawing it. It's all decision making under uncertainty. Just because you make the right choice with the information at hand doesn't mean it pays off.

No guarantees but it’s smart to go with probability in your favor. Going all in or a big raise.. depends on circumstance

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Grade B type prospect on D. He’s has a ways to go to mature into a regular NHL defensemen in 3 or 4 years time.

Development in the next 3/4 years is up to him.

Reactions: Tyson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad