Signing(s): Jose Abreu signs with the Astros (3 years, $60 million)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
It isn't the 1990s anymore in terms of being able to smack 40 dingers on roids until you're 40.

It's really, really hard to stay on top of the massive velocity of today's pitchers past your mid-30s and almost nobody except Nelson Cruz has managed to be a a quality hitter past age 35 in recent years. Looks like Paul Goldschmidt might manage the same.

So far this year, Goldschmidt looks like he's as cooked as Abreu.

Reactions: MS

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
He's useless. One of our most horrid signings in recent memory. But the silver lining to this is that he is only about 20 minutes away from me now. I should go egg his f***ing car....But, alas, that is beneath me..........Tempting but beneath me.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sucks this is how it ends for Abreu but signs of decline were there

It was always a risk this is how it would end and here we are

Great player who provided light during bleak era of White Sox baseball

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Sucks this is how it ends for Abreu but signs of decline were there

It was always a risk this is how it would end and here we are

Great player who provided light during bleak era of White Sox baseball

yeah big hefty first basemen often don't age gracefully, Miggy managed to drag it out to get to 3k hits at least, but Abreu just fell off a cliff

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
yeah big hefty first basemen often don't age gracefully, Miggy managed to drag it out to get to 3k hits at least, but Abreu just fell off a cliff
Cabrera also fell off a cliff with seven years and over $200 million left and just barely managed to hold on as "barely adequate enough to not just release in disgrace."

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Sucks that it ended like this. Was hoping it would work out after he went down to Florida. It wasn't like he was doing bad on purpose so didn't like the hate he was receiving. If another team gives him a chance, hoping for the best. But with that said, this had to be done weeks ago after he didn't really improve coming back from Florida.

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I feel like someone’s gonna take a chance. Don’t think it’ll work, but someone will want to.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I feel like someone’s gonna take a chance. Don’t think it’ll work, but someone will want to.

Wouldn't shock me if Sox bring him back just to try and fill some seats thru summer

We have a long history of bringing guys back near end of career who were spent

Harold Baines is good example

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Decent amount of people think he's older than his reported age, possibly in his early to mid 40's....idk seems like conspiracy shit.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Decent amount of people think he's older than his reported age, possibly in his early to mid 40's....idk seems like conspiracy shit.
It probably is - the US and MLB require an awful lot more documentation about age than they used to.
It's also not unusual for someone to just collapse at 37.

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Sucks that it ended like this. Was hoping it would work out after he went down to Florida. It wasn't like he was doing bad on purpose so didn't like the hate he was receiving. If another team gives him a chance, hoping for the best. But with that said, this had to be done weeks ago after he didn't really improve coming back from Florida.
Praise the lord. What a horrible contract. Worst one that we've given out in years. Lets put this nightmare behind us .

Never forget the Astros owner let his GM go coming off a WS win and literally ran the baseball operations with Jeff Bagwell for a few months when they signed this awful contract.
Bags needs to stay away from our baseball operations. No Astros fan wants him around making decisions. He's the one that complained that we relied on analytics too much. Like that has been soooooo horrible for us or something lol.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Praise the lord. What a horrible contract. Worst one that we've given out in years. Lets put this nightmare behind us .

Bags needs to stay away from our baseball operations. No Astros fan wants him around making decisions. He's the one that complained that we relied on analytics too much. Like that has been soooooo horrible for us or something lol.
And Reggie Jackson as well because he might be part of problem as well

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

SwordsgoneWild

Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
And Reggie Jackson as well because he might be part of problem as well
We should've kept Click but Crane is a moron.It's too bad that Luhnow is blackballed from the league. He is the one that set us up for that amazing 7 year run ( not saying it's over yet ) .It makes me sick that Cora and Hinch got jobs again but Jeff was the one who was banished in the end .

Reactions: punk_o_holic

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Cabrera also fell off a cliff with seven years and over $200 million left and just barely managed to hold on as "barely adequate enough to not just release in disgrace."

He had his last good year at age 33 and then was worth -2.8 WAR over his last 7 years. It honestly was one of the most drawn-out, embarrassing ends I've seen to a career in any sport. The last couple years were just painful to watch.

If his current age was correct and he was still producing, he'd basically be the oldest productive player in MLB.

People are just not grasping the extent to which careers have shortened in the last 10-15 years. Doesn't matter who you are, once you hit 35 you're basically done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad