Signing(s): Jordan Love signs monster extension

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NFL QB contracts are a joke. Seems like every one next up gets the biggest bag. Mahomes and Allen should have been the ceiling and are they even top 10 now with all these mid tier guys getting the huge deals.
Cap keeps going up. I mean, if you base it on the % of the cap, it might be more in line based on when those guys signed. Since Covid, cap has been:
2024 - $255.4 mill
2023 - $224.8 mill
2022 - $208.2 mill

So, the cap went up about 24% over the past 3 seasons.

But, it's getting insane that they don't seem to be factoring in the quality of the QB. But, that's how the business of the NFL is.

Structure of an NFL contract is a large signing bonus to prorate over the term of the contract. So, if it's 4 years, and $75 mill guaranteed, that is going to be $19 mill per year that will hit the cap. I could be $15 mill over 5 if that is tacked onto his current 2024 salary. Have to see if that is the case or not.

To offset that large SB, the base salary for 2025 and 2026 will be much lower, likely in the $15-$25 mill range. Then in years 3/4 it would jump.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Love had pretty special arm talent and showed it pretty clearly the back half of the season. Like, special, top 5 level talent.

I have more faith paying for that, even if incredibly risky still, than the Tua contract or whatever monster deals Dak and Purdue are gonna get.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seems like a lot of money for a half of good season. But if he keeps that play up it'll be worth. Half decent QBs get paid because they're so scarce.
And if he keeps up the play, doing the contract in the spring instead would have only been more expensive. The Packers were smart to sign him now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Cap keeps going up. I mean, if you base it on the % of the cap, it might be more in line based on when those guys signed. Since Covid, cap has been:
2024 - $255.4 mill
2023 - $224.8 mill
2022 - $208.2 mill

So, the cap went up about 24% over the past 3 seasons.

But, it's getting insane that they don't seem to be factoring in the quality of the QB. But, that's how the business of the NFL is.

Structure of an NFL contract is a large signing bonus to prorate over the term of the contract. So, if it's 4 years, and $75 mill guaranteed, that is going to be $19 mill per year that will hit the cap. I could be $15 mill over 5 if that is tacked onto his current 2024 salary. Have to see if that is the case or not.

To offset that large SB, the base salary for 2025 and 2026 will be much lower, likely in the $15-$25 mill range. Then in years 3/4 it would jump.

I think they are. As a percentage of the cap at signing, Lawrence was 10th in the league. Love ties him for APY, Tua comes in a little below.

Obviously these guys are a little unproven but as a gamble, having them around the 10th most desirable QB in the league makes sense. And we'll see how the guarantees come in but Lawrence's was structured in a pretty team friendly way. When you consider the rising cap and how QB pay is, these seem fair to me.

You could make a case that QB pay in general is mad and that's fair, but that's what happens when one position is super important and there's not enough high quality guys to go around in it.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Love was good to great last season but yeah, one season as a starter and already the highest paid player in the league and 155$ million guaranteed.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Seems like a lot of money for a half of good season. But if he keeps that play up it'll be worth. Half decent QBs get paid because they're so scarce.
Agreed. GB made their own bed though, you sit your 1st round QB for 3 years you run the risk of making a franchise-altering decision based on a really small sample size.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Beating Dallas who was basically unbeatable in their barn in an ass whopping while looking like a God went a long way..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. GB made their own bed though, you sit your 1st round QB for 3 years you run the risk of making a franchise-altering decision based on a really small sample size.
Jimmy G started 2 games in NE and like 5 in SF and still got at the time a big contract at a $27 mill AAV. Now, that wasn't the highest contract at the time, but for a guy with 7 starts, shows that NFL teams pay big if they think they have a QB.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Jimmy G started 2 games in NE and like 5 in SF and still got at the time a big contract at a $27 mill AAV. Now, that wasn't the highest contract at the time, but for a guy with 7 starts, shows that NFL teams pay big if they think they have a QB.
Oh, it was when signed in 2018.

"The deal is the largest in NFL history on an average-per-year basis."

Paying young QBs a lot has been happening for years. People are only thinking things have changed because the cap has gone up so fast to make the numbers crazy, but these are the same kinds of contracts. The only difference is the portion guaranteed going up.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Love been in the building for 3 years so who he is ,is known. He already delivered in the playoffs. I'd be more comfortable with this deal than Tua.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So from 1992 to the beginning of 2024, Green Bay has had 3 franchise starting QB start for them. That is 32 years of dominant QB play from the position.

That's as guaranteed as coaching for the Pittsburgh Steelers since 1969, with 3 coaches.

Reactions: TheGooooch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad