Value of: Jordan Eberle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Nuge has 4 points in 13 playoff games, haven't really seen much rage on him
Nuge brings an element of two way play when he’s not scoring at least so he gets some leeway. People were still mad at him but he bounced back with his best season in years so people are back to loving him again. Eberle when he isn’t scoring isn’t really helping the team in any way. He’s not really effective away from the puck. He doesn’t really bring an element beyond offense.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
who is to say, the fact is the islanders couldnt have acquired either Barzal or Beauvillier if Chiarelli didnt trade a first and second for Reinhart so Oiler Management was at fault. I can only judge Eberle on his play here, and none of what nabob said was true in edmonton, was true in NY

im just pointing out that he has an ulterior motive in his thinking to bash eberle. Chia wanted to save cap space so we both got what we wanted and Bryan has told me that Strom played well after adjusting to his new 3c role, so i dont see how Nabobs intense desire to trash a player he longer has to deal with is relevant.

it smacks of sour grapes, no more, no less. we're are very happy with the player we got and according to intelligent oiler posters they are happy with strome. to me thats Win Win
I don’t really disagree with anything you said here I just don’t like when people make blatant false claims like Edmonton traded the Barzal and Beavelier picks.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I’m not denying we had terrible management, not sure what that has to do with Eberle quitting on his team and being a no show for 13/13 playoff games. The player wasn’t ruined by the Oilers, he simply quit in the team. That decreased his trade value. Just like riding Barzal’s success increased it. Will be interesting to see how he fairs knowing that he won’t be on a competitive team this season. If he pulls the chute again it could greatly diminish the return the Islanders get for him.

you have absolutely Zero evidence he quit on the team. ever hear of a player trying too hard?

eberle spoke of it this year

In an article written by Tim Panaccio and published Saturday by SportsNet, the former Oilers winger spoke of his final years and days in the Copper & Blue. Quoting from Panaccio’s article, Ebs first had this to say about his 2016-17 playoff performance, and life in Edmonton, in general:

“Definitely didn’t play up to my standards, especially in the playoffs. It has to do with points. I had a really good first series and it didn’t show up on the score sheet. Those are times you have to score and I got demoted in the lineup and beaten up a bit, too”.

Eberle’s description of his play match what this Oilers watcher and writer saw last Spring. Checking back on my game notes, indeed Eberle had a pretty good showing versus San Jose, but was not rewarded with points. And his pay suffered from there. We all saw it.
But…”beaten up”?

“The Edmonton media can be pretty brutal and your confidence goes and this is a game you can’t play if you don’t have confidence. It’s that simple. It’s the Edmonton Oilers and everything around it. When you read the articles every day about how much you suck, its tough”.

Ignore them.

“You can’t. It affects you and I lost my confidence. The biggest thing for me since I got here (New York) with the Islanders is trying to get that back”.

With 8 goals and 16 points in 22 games as a member of the Islanders? It is fair to say that Eberle has regained some or all of that confidence.

here is what the authour had to say about it:

9 Things

One, I won’t fault Todd McLellan for making whatever decisions he had to last spring in order to try to win. That is the coach’s job. The media would be all over him if he didn’t (not that that is a reason to do so for him). A coach’s job is to win. Period.

Two, the Eberle trade was a salary dump. The Oilers were awash with $6-million dollar men. Bigger contracts for Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl were imminent. Whether Chiarelli traded the right guy, or got fair market value? Debatable.

Three, playing in a Canadian market has its rewards, if things go well for you. But it becomes damn tough, if it does not. Hockey is religion in these parts, as it is in the Montreal’s and Toronto’s of the nation. You cannot hide.

Four, Journalists have a responsibility to deliver equitable coverage of an issue over time. Past that, they are paid to “call it as they see it”. Commentators, more so than reporters, are employed to speak their minds, too. Traditionally, they give fans a voice.

Five, in the age of social media, not all fans need that voice anymore. Or, at the very least, not like they used to. A platform to have your views heard or seen is way easier to attain today than it was 10 years ago. 20 years? Night and day.

Six, critical mass is reached when both media and fans (a vocal majority of them) start to whip the same horse. Social media helps fuel it. That is when it can start to feel like the marshal and his deputies have arrived, to “ride that hombre outta town”.

Seven, as a writer/watcher who often talked about the benefits of Eberle on the team, swimming against #6 is hard. I was called out, accused of being on the payroll, a shill on the take, for even breathing something good about Ebs. After a while, as a guy who doesn’t draw a salary to write these pieces and who bought his season’s tickets with his own hard-earned dough, one starts to get weary of taking it on the chin every time you type Eberle’s name.

Eight, players (as Jordan admitted) read this stuff. They may be million-dollar athletes, but I have been around enough of them to know that their blood still pumps red, they have feelings, and their confidence can be wounded just like ours can be. And in a high-performance industry, where a sliver can be the difference between good and bad, sometimes that is all that it takes to tip the balance. It is no different in other high performance industries, be it Sport, Music, Film, Literature, hell even Medicine and The Military are subject to that, among others.

Nine, is Ebs making excuses? Look, he was asked the question. He didn’t seek the reporter out to tell his story. He gave an honest answer, which I assume most would appreciate. No where in this article did I see Eberle argue with the fact that he is paid to score, and ultimate did not, when it arguably counted the most. He did, however, try to explain what went wrong and why. Something surely did. And to you, that may quack like a duck. One solution, for Eberle you may argue, was simply to produce in the face of it all. Yet now in New York (the media capital of the world, mind you), the pressure seems to have been relieved, and the player transfused with a few CC’s of confidence.

In the end, should the Edmonton media re-examine its role in all of this? And when I say media, I mean all media. Because today, “the MSM” are hardly the only loud voices out there. Fans, some extremely well-informed and others not so much, get their say in a public forum too. But to be fair, the large majority of those people do not have the same influence or reach of mainstream reporters or commentators.

Does the commentary, which I submit can become withering at times, cost the Oilers some of their “home rink advantage”? Has it become harder to play in Edmonton than it should be, perhaps a result of 10 years of losing? Is Jordan Eberle is living, breathing example of this?

I don’t pretend to have that answer. But the comments by Eberle did cause me to at least ask the question.

So in the end all nabob is doing is what the writer says fans do

here in NY we accepted Eberle as is, none of his supposed baggage was in evidence so why should we not see the truth, that Nabob has an axe to grind. no more no less

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t really disagree with anything you said here I just don’t like when people make blatant false claims like Edmonton traded the Barzal and Beavelier picks.
it wasnt a blatantly false claim I just pointed out that the Islanders couldnt hae drafted either Barzal or Beauvillier if Chiarelli didnt trade for Reinhart.

you cant make chicken salad without chicken, we couldnt draft them without those picks. in fact the GM who made the trade says the deal was contingent on Barzal being Available or he wouldnt have done it

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
it wasnt a blatantly false claim I just pointed out that the Islanders couldnt hae drafted either Barzal or Beauvillier if Chiarelli didnt trade for Reinhart.

you cant make chicken salad without chicken, we couldnt draft them without those picks. in fact the GM who made the trade says the deal was contingent on Barzal being Available or he wouldnt have done it
Barzal sure but the oilers 2nd round pick in the trade was used by the Tampa Bay Lightning to select Mitchell Stevens. Saying the Oilers traded Beau is like saying Pittsburgh traded Barzal for a year and a bit of Perron.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
you were dead wrong,he was anything but soft this year.

its no coincidence you made a playoff with eberle and finished in the lottery this year

it sounds like youre just uset you traded him for strome. we have no interest going back
Lol seriously? You think with Eberle the Oilers wouldve made the playoffs?? Check out our goals for vs goals against when we made the playoffs vs last year. Our offense changed little. Our goals against ballooned and its a direct result of klefboms injured shoulder, Sekeras slow recovery from a blown knee, one of the leagues worst penalty kills, and Cam Talbot inexplicably allowing a goal on the first shot an astonishing 14, yes, 14 times. Think Eberle makes a dent in that? Think again.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Barzal sure but the oilers 2nd round pick in the trade was used by the Tampa Bay Lightning to select Mitchell Stevens. Saying the Oilers traded Beau is like saying Pittsburgh traded Barzal for a year and a bit of Perron.
but again i didnt say that I said we couldnt have drafted Barzal or beauvillier if Chiarelli didnt trade those picks for Reinhart. whether you could have drafted them yourself is immaterial.

the fact remains you traded the picks that were used to acquire them for a player who you got nothing for thereby showing how incompetent your management was.

blaming eberle and saying he wasnt trying during that playoff series is just scapegoating him, its not like your management hasnt done that to others as well. Im just saying that while an Islander we havent seen eberle be any of the things some oiler fans said to expect. is he perfect? No he is not, but he is not the Lazy Low effort floater that you and Nabob tried to paint him as

what I dont get is that for a team that supposedly likes Strome and the cap you gained in the deal, why certain oiler fans feel the need to character assassinate him? We dont do that with Strome. we're glad he worked out for the Oilers.

he's not your problem any longer. whats so hard about saying Im glad he worked out for you, we're happy with strome too? to me thats a win win trade. but all i see is certain oiler fans bash eberle every chance they get.

Buchburger1683

Jun 20, 2014
I think a year from now, you don’t want Eberle and Wahlstrom as your top two RW. Obviously I use Wahlstrom with the Cap Friendly Entry Level deal, who has equally filthy mitts and a better shot. That will be Barzal’s trigger man. I use that Eberle cap to figure out the a much bigger need up the middle, on D and in goal. Eberle at 6+ is a waste in a cap era. Young, high end wingers will do fine. Don’t overpay on the wings.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Lol seriously? You think with Eberle the Oilers wouldve made the playoffs?? Check out our goals for vs goals against when we made the playoffs vs last year. Our offense changed little. Our goals against ballooned and its a direct result of klefboms injured shoulder, Sekeras slow recovery from a blown knee, one of the leagues worst penalty kills, and Cam Talbot inexplicably allowing a goal on the first shot an astonishing 14, yes, 14 times. Think Eberle makes a dent in that? Think again.

i dont think eberle was the reason you didnt make the playoffs, just like i didnt think he was the reason you were knocked out the year before. i was just pointing out that making Eberle the scapegoat is silly. Everyone with even half a brain knows that its usually several issues that converge that causes a collapse.

i feel eberle was no more responsible for the oilers exit from the playoffs 2 years ago as he was responsible for them not making it this year, but certain fans keep trying to say he was primarily responsible and thats hogwash

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think a year from now, you don’t want Eberle and Wahlstrom as your top two RW. Obviously I use Wahlstrom with the Cap Friendly Entry Level deal, who has equally filthy mitts and a better shot. That will be Barzal’s trigger man. I use that Eberle cap to figure out the a much bigger need up the middle, on D and in goal. Eberle at 6+ is a waste in a cap era. Young, high end wingers will do fine. Don’t overpay on the wings.
perfectly sensible and I agree. But the reason for that has everything to do with finance and prudent asset management, as you are intelligent enough to realize, and not to do with eberle's fitness as a player.

unlike some oiler fans, you are evaluating the situation and drawing logical conclusions, and not Character assassinating the player for things beyond his control.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What are his playoff numbers? I know when he was drafted a big reason why even went in the first round was his big game performances in juniors. So I am surprised to hear this and I image he has not had that much opportunity to play in the playoffs.

Playing on NYI and EDM, his playoff numbers are a very small sample size. Remember when Blues fans used to blame Oshie for not coming through in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure Eberle will be fine in the playoffs and this is just EDM fans doing what they do best (expecting the moon from every single player because every player they have is the best in the league).

Reactions: YP44

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Eberle doesn’t need to be a playoff performer because we’re the islanders and we don’t make the playoffs.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
i dont think eberle was the reason you didnt make the playoffs, just like i didnt think he was the reason you were knocked out the year before. i was just pointing out that making Eberle the scapegoat is silly. Everyone with even half a brain knows that its usually several issues that converge that causes a collapse.

i feel eberle was no more responsible for the oilers exit from the playoffs 2 years ago as he was responsible for them not making it this year, but certain fans keep trying to say he was primarily responsible and thats hogwash

It was stupid but that's just how some Oilers fans are.

One group loves designating a whipping boy, Edmonton has a history of it that I'd match up against any other hockey franchise.

There's another group that adores defending any decision Peter Chiarelli makes and are happy to force any narrative that protects Chiarelli.

Sometimes they belong to both groups.

Eberle is a flawed player but he was scapegoated by Oilers fans for more than anything being weak in board battles based on one play against Anaheim where he lost a battle and the Ducks scored. A goal that shouldn't have counted because of goalie interference that the league chose not to enforce but that's another discussion.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Playing on NYI and EDM, his playoff numbers are a very small sample size. Remember when Blues fans used to blame Oshie for not coming through in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure Eberle will be fine in the playoffs and this is just EDM fans doing what they do best (expecting the moon from every single player because every player they have is the best in the league).

You had a valid point before you decided to pull that nonsense out of your ass.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

Omfg. You literally said this “its no coincidence you made a playoff with eberle and finished in the lottery this year.” Certain guys moving the goalposts is hogwash. Look.....Oilers fans watched Eberle for years. You dont know him better than we do. Period. We watched him go from a fan favourite to a ultra passive non-factor sucking up $6M in cap space. His bad playoff debut was the icing on a turd cake he’d been baking for his last three years. He had to go. Just watch him start wilting now that Barzal starts facing the tough matchups.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
How about this...

I hope Strome works out for the Oil, just as I like Eberle on the Island.

I have no beef with Oiler Country. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Omfg. You literally said this “its no coincidence you made a playoff with eberle and finished in the lottery this year.” Certain guys moving the goalposts is hogwash. Look.....Oilers fans watched Eberle for years. You dont know him better than we do. Period. We watched him go from a fan favourite to a ultra passive non-factor sucking up $6M in cap space. His bad playoff debut was the icing on a turd cake he’d been baking for his last three years. He had to go. Just watch him start wilting now that Barzal starts facing the tough matchups.

i just made the same point that ConnorMcNugesaitl an oiler fan made much more elegantly than I Can that certain Oiler fans have a history of looking for scapegoats. its a story that several other oiler fans have told me many times before, among those as mentioned before were Chaotic Orange McSuper and Bryanbryoil., Through many years I known them to be above reproach. you can believe what you wish, but I have no reason to doubt them and never have. the fact that as an Islander Eberle has demonstrated none of What you claim is true tells me the problem you have with Eberle is your own.

As I also said he is not a perfect player and they were very open about his flaws, Just as I was very honest about Strome's Limitations to them, you need to move on and accept that he's no longer your problem. if at some point Eberle becomes an issue, we will deal with it at that point, but so far he has been everything we could hope for.

and I most definitely do root for the oilers, because I too have lived with the consequences of incompetent management. both of these franchises have suffered greatly due to this, and as a result our great legacies have been tarnished. I fail to see how continuing to scapegoat Eberle does either of our glorious franchises any good.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad