Speculation: Jordan Binnington to Toronto?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
While definitely cannot be described as calm, Binnington certainly has as thick of a skin as anyone in the league, often to the point of being obnoxiously intransigent.
lol just screwing around. Who knows how the guy would handle that place.

I for one welcome the chance it blow up in spectacular fashion. But then I don’t cheer for them so there’s that.

Edit on a side note I’ll no longer re-editing my posts on this site so whatever it and the iPhone thinks I typed I’m running with. Let’s see how it plays out

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If they do get a goalie I think it'll be Saros if Marner heads to Nashville.

But as for Binnington, I believe he does get traded. But if he goes anywhere, I see him ending up in Colorado, Philly, New Jersey or Washington. Don't think Berube liked coaching Binnington.

• Haha
Reactions: The Electrician

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
You can't give Woll another shot he's to fragile that's the ENTIRE problem.

It's not talent it's health, and way he he gets injured.

He missed 3 months because he got hurt on MUFFIN shot.

and then he took himself out of game 7 by trying to make a save on a shot he literally didn't need to.

He's to injury prone
There is no way that Woll would have thought "The game is almost over, I'll just let that one go in", so blaming him is ridiculous. That's his job, it was just shitty luck.

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
This is pretty obvious. Binnington is a playoff nails goalie and Toronto needs one of those. The idea if the Leafs fans being like, well maybe we would take him, lol.

Of course you would take him, he is the difference between you not advancing and advancing. I suspect you want to advance?

He is 6 wins away from being the Blues all time wins leader and the Blues aren't ready to hand things over to Hofer (I personally want Binnington to retire a Blue after another contract). The Blues are also determined to try to compete to make the playoffs and not bottom out. (In fairness to the Blues' thinking on this is that they may have utterly crushed the 2023 draft and will be back involved in playoffs soon.) Trading Binnington would be an immediate end to that, they would plunge. It's just not the ownership's philosophy.

Therefore, the price to make it happen is going to be large. Large enough, number one, where it makes discussing it here not worth it, especially since we couldn't even agree that you need him, and then number two where we wouldn't agree on price and it would just be dissing him as a person and all that.

Toronto objectively needing him is not enough to incentivize a predictably dismal discussion.
Hofer had a really strong rookie year, and I think he's going to be a fantastic NHL goalie, but I don't like the idea of handing the reigns over to him after just one year in the Show. Having said that, if Army can really leverage an overpay from Toronto for him, I'll do it.

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
I'll fully admit I think Binnington has been a pretty normal goalie since that cup run, not bad, not great.

That being said, he was amazing in that cup run. I liked St.Louis a lot as a team but always thought they lacked 2 things to get them over the hump, a 1C and a goalie, Elliott/Allen were just too mediocre for a team with cup aspirations.

Blues acquired ROR, that was one of the big things out of the way, and then Binnington came out and we know the rest.

I think the biggest problem which hurt Berube was losing Pietrangelo and it's on Armstrong. I have no idea how you add a guy like Faulk, a right shot defenseman when you have Pietrangelo and Parayko, and you sign Faulk to an extension first. You then let your franchise top pair defenseman walk for nothing.
Binner has his ups and downs, but he shows up in big games. His numbers after a playoff loss are very good, and if he hadn't been injured in 2022, I absolutely believe he would have stolen that series from the Avs. He was playing out of his mind with a .949 SV% and 1.72 GAA in six games.

I mean what do you expect when you lose so many key players? Pietrangelo, ROR, Tank, Perron, Bozak, Steen, J-Bo.. that's a lotta talent who either walked as UFAs or aged out.
Or straight up got hurt and had to unexpectedly retire.

Bouwmeester with the heart issue.
Gunnersson with a knee issue.
And most infamously, Bozak with concussion issues after one of the most blatant blindside cheap shots from Mark Stone you'll ever see.

Three huge contributors from that team, GONE just like that.

Reactions: The Electrician

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
Again I think Berube is going to have Some say, I think if Berube says he wants Binnington, I think Treliving tries to make that happen especially given that's the guy his coach won with.

When you are a coach as high profile as Berube you are going to have say in personnel decisions.

Knight is not mentally strong enough for Toronto
Then......Binner is your guy ! His give a shitometer won't probably budge in, Toronto .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Then......Binner is your guy ! His give a shitometer won't probably budge in, Toronto .

That might actually be a good thing it means the Media wouldn't get to him.

Binner has his ups and downs, but he shows up in big games. His numbers after a playoff loss are very good, and if he hadn't been injured in 2022, I absolutely believe he would have stolen that series from the Avs. He was playing out of his mind with a .949 SV% and 1.72 GAA in six games.

Or straight up got hurt and had to unexpectedly retire.

Bouwmeester with the heart issue.
Gunnersson with a knee issue.
And most infamously, Bozak with concussion issues after one of the most blatant blindside cheap shots from Mark Stone you'll ever see.

Three huge contributors from that team, GONE just like that.

I was wondering what happened to Bozak, I didn't know Stone did that.

I always liked Gunnar too, bad time to be a leaf fan but he was good.

If they do get a goalie I think it'll be Saros if Marner heads to Nashville.

But as for Binnington, I believe he does get traded. But if he goes anywhere, I see him ending up in Colorado, Philly, New Jersey or Washington. Don't think Berube liked coaching Binnington.

They only have 1 goalie under contract so they have no choice they have to get somebody

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Anyone that hasn't watched a Blues game in 5 years wouldnt know how good JB50 is. Ripped off from calder, ripped off from Conn Smyth. Crazy sure, but absolutely elite. Without him Blues might not win 10 games.
And yet Hofer had 15 wins.

But I agree, Binnington is a good goalie who had a really good season.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Hofer had a really strong rookie year, and I think he's going to be a fantastic NHL goalie, but I don't like the idea of handing the reigns over to him after just one year in the Show. Having said that, if Army can really leverage an overpay from Toronto for him, I'll do it.

I'm sure if Binner is moved, Army will sign a mediocre starter just to fill the quota until Hofer is ready.

Mostly it would be down to what assets are offered from Toronto, if they are in a discussion. We will not be winning any playoff rounds any time soon, if we make it there at all. Binnington is actually quite inconsistent in the regular season. But in the stretch run and the playoffs, he usually is able to turn it on at a higher gear.

If there are good offers out there, I am sure Army would consider. There just isn't a need for a playoff goalie at this stage in the organization. If another team is willing to pay for that performance, then I'm sure we can come to the right price.

Reactions: blueswede22

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Yes please. Can't wait to see Binnington throwing spoiled brat tantrums after he loses against Montreal.
Out of the 280 NHL games he’s played, tell me how many times he threw a tantrum after a loss. He had zero instances of anything out of the ordinary this season. He threw an empty water bottle in the direction of a player who took him out of the playoffs. He threw swung his stick in the direction of a player’s head once (which was dumb). 280 games, a few instances of bad choices. No post-game tantrums (other than the water bottle). People look at a couple of highlights of that and think he does all the time. He doesn’t.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Out of the 280 NHL games he’s played, tell me how many times he threw a tantrum after a loss. He had zero instances of anything out of the ordinary this season. He threw an empty water bottle in the direction of a player who took him out of the playoffs. He threw swung his stick in the direction of a player’s head once (which was dumb). 280 games, a few instances of bad choices. No post-game tantrums (other than the water bottle). People look at a couple of highlights of that and think he does all the time. He doesn’t.
Well he also had the temerity to beat Boston, and Boston fans know they can only lose legitimately when they are major underdogs, otherwise their opponents got lucky. The opponents certainly weren't good.

There are Boston wretches in this thread five years later. Those Bruins lost three straight games at home to the Blues and their still-bitter fans are weak. Binnington told the Bruins former coach Don Cherry when they were in the elevator together he was going to win Game 7 and he did, because Binnington is a badass nails playoff goalie. Some athletes are that. He is.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s a lunatic and annoying but he’s still in his prime, has a Cup and was 4th among all starters in GSAx last season.

The Leafs…or anybody needing a goalie…could do a hell of a lot worse. His contract isn’t bad either…fair AAV and ends after his age 33 season so you aren’t on the hook for the decrepit years.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Robertson (RFA) + Hildeby (Top-5 ranked goalie prospect) for Binnington (6M per for 3 years)

Robertson (RFA) + Villeneuve or Tverberg (Top-10 ranked defenseman or forward prospect) for Markstrom (6M per for 2 years)

Binnington and Markstrom have term at a set rate and the Leafs have some good young goalies in the system. Which makes Saros the most unlikely of the 3 because he has one year left, which means he will need a large extension, Toronto may only need a goalie for 2-3 years, Saros is coming in for 1 or 7-9.
LOL, no one wants Robertson and their is no ranking that shows Hildeby in a top-5 as a goalie prospect. IN the below, he's merely an honorably mention and outside the top-15. lol

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
LILJEGREN
JARNKROK
+ Hildeby
+ pick/prospect

for

BINNINGTON
SUNDQVIST

Blues sign a UFA goalie, or acquire Husso from DET for future considerations / 7th rounder
Hildeby waivers start in 2026, so new STL goalie needs to be 1 or 2 year contract

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I'd take Binnington over Sarov 100 out of 100 times. a proven winner, who isnt under 6' tall
the only goalie I'd consider from Nashville is Askarov.
however, it will depends on the asking price, and Binnington isnt cheap and wouldnt be easy for the Leafs to fit 'and' get 2 'quality' UFA d-men to play in front of him.
I am confused why you would prefer the inferior goalie? Binnington went on 1 good run years ago and has been average ever since.....

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
LILJEGREN
JARNKROK
+ Hildeby
+ pick/prospect

for

BINNINGTON
SUNDQVIST

Blues sign a UFA goalie, or acquire Husso from DET for future considerations / 7th rounder
Hildeby waivers start in 2026, so new STL goalie needs to be 1 or 2 year contract
That's awful for St. Louis. There is no motivation to trade Binny for that collection of crap. Crap that they get in UFA or within.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
That's awful for St. Louis. There is no motivation to trade Binny for that collection of crap. Crap that they get in UFA or within.
I didn't specify which pick(s) or prospect(s). Could be a 1st round pick. Could be Cowan. Minten. Niemela. Maybe there's a pick / prospect that makes it a fair deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad