Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I finally see it. Bruins fleeced Ottawa in giving them Korpisalo. When will we built the monument for Donald Sweeney?

What are the odds of Korpisalo winning the Vezina? I will go and spend my life savings on it.
IMG_1150.gif

• Love
Reactions: Sevendust

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
No offense, if they didn't have Korpi and they announced that Bussi was going to be the backup... I "have a feeling" that you'd say "I have a feeling that Bussi will be a capable backup."

Why doesn't Goalie Bob have magic up his sleeve to make Bussi a capable backup?

You can have him for a 4th rd pick.

If you believe in him, that's a cheap price.
Sens fan here, coming in peace. I really think the trade happened because Boston really wanted their 1st rd pick back and with Swayman going to RFA, didn't want to pay that much for goalies. I also think Ottawa was one of the few partners available that Ullmark would go to.

As for his play in Ottawa, yes, there were lots of distractions (team sale, coaching change, injuries, Pinto suspension) but what was really odd was how many shots from the point he and Forsberg let in during the season, and most of them were the 1st or 2nd shot of the game (happened 22 times). Before he was traded, it was mentioned that he needed to adjust his helmet to improve sightlines and there was an issue with his eyesight. I also don't think he's starter material which was another factor. Sens D was also horrific with too many forwards cheating for offense and too many soft players on D.

I think he'll do well in Boston after working with your goalie coach, fixing his helmet/eyesight, playing in front of a good D structure, and being the backup.

Reactions: Dr Quincy and Kegs

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Cam Talbot had a .898 SV% in Ottawa two years ago and then went to the Kings and played to a .913

Korpisalo had a .890 SV% last in Ottawa and a .921 two years ago with the Kings

Ottawa is rough for goalies
Sens fan here, and yes, Ottawa has been a goalie graveyard since Anderson left. But now our new GM, Steve Staois, has hired a new coaching staff whose focus will be details and accountability, acquired vets who play the 200-ft game and will help build a winning culture (Perron, Amadio), acquired a true RD who should help the D and PK (Jensen). Ullmark is a starter and should provide some much needed stability in nets. Also, he's good friends with Forsberg, they played as a tandem in Sweden years ago so I think Forsberg will return to form. Not saying Sens will make the playoffs but I expect much better results this season. It'll depend on health (Norris, Chabot, Jensen) and how long it takes the players to adjust to a new style of play.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
They can also be in playoff position with him playing 41. Why not go with that?
I've been reading the posts about how many games Swayman should play which made me think about something Ullmark said during one of his interviews after the trade. I think it was on the Chaos podcast. He said that he preferred playing more games because he gets in a groove where he doesn't have to think about the play, it just comes naturally due to repetition.

When I look at his Vezina year vs last year, he played more games that year so it does seem like he plays better the more he plays. Here's hoping that's true because he will be the starter in Ottawa (I'm a Sens fan). Perhaps Swayman will be the same.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Korpisalo would actually be a good add for Toronto. Insulates Woll, comes in at .5 million cheaper than Samsanov last and has much better playoffs numbers.
Sens fan here. Toronto had nothing Ottawa wanted so that wasn't happening. Our GM, Steve Staois, said that his priorities for the off-season were fix goaltending, get RD and add some vets to instill a winning culture. He fixed goaltending with the Boston trade, fixed the D with Washington trade, added vets from UFA market. Also, Ullmark and Jensen not only fixed some roster construction issues but they are also vets.

As for the trade value for Boston, it all depends on how much you value having a 1st round pick.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Hot take( not really because I think a few have said it here) but would anyone be surprised by the end of the season if Korpisalo had better numbers than Ullmark? I actually think it might happen based on the team in front of each guy.
It doesn’t seem likely.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
It doesn’t seem likely.
Then you might be underestimating the importance of team responsibility and defensive structure in front of a goaltender. Unless korpisalo is totally toast he has a very good chance of equaling or surpassing Ullmark's numbers this coming year in Ottawa. Assuming korpisalo stays with the team and isn't sent down or traded for any number of various reasons.

No doubt Ullmark is a good goalie but unless Ottawa finally gets it's act together Ullmark's numbers will undoubtedly be inflated this year compared to previous. It might be more interesting to see if Ullmark signs an extension (if he hasn't already) or if he plans to test the market at years end.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Sens fan here. Toronto had nothing Ottawa wanted so that wasn't happening. Our GM, Steve Staois, said that his priorities for the off-season were fix goaltending, get RD and add some vets to instill a winning culture. He fixed goaltending with the Boston trade, fixed the D with Washington trade, added vets from UFA market. Also, Ullmark and Jensen not only fixed some roster construction issues but they are also vets.

As for the trade value for Boston, it all depends on how much you value having a 1st round pick.

By any chance are you a Sens fan?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Took a deep dive into Korpi

1. Stunned to see he’s won 115 games and lost only 107

Playing for crappy teams

2. Made 2019 ASG

Korpisalo, 25, is tied for the league lead in games played, ranks second in minutes played, third-T in wins and fifth-T in shutouts with a 17-10-4 record, 2.49 GAA, .913 SV% and two shutouts on 1,877 minutes in 32 games this season. Since November 1, he ranks second in the league in GAA (min. 12 GP), shutouts (tied), minutes and games played and fifth in SV% (min. 12 GP) with a 12-6-3 record, 2.11 GAA, .926 SV%, two shutouts and 1,307 minutes in 22 outings. He has posted points in a career-best nine-straight games (6-0-3) with a 1.72 GAA, .942 SV% and a shutout since December 9.
The Pori, Finland native has already set single-season career highs in wins, shutouts, minutes played and games played after posting a 16-11-4 record with a 2.60 GAA, .920 SV% on 1,803 minutes in 31 games with the Jackets as a rookie in 2015-16. Columbus' third round pick, 62nd overall, at the 2012 NHL Draft, Korpisalo is 58-41-13 with a 2.78 GAA, .908 SV% and three shutouts in 122 career games with the club. The 6-3, 191-pound netminder was selected for his first NHL All-Star Game.
Foligno, 33, has posted 4-10-14 and 41 penalty minutes, while averaging 17:43 of ice time in 36 games this season. He was the Ottawa Senators' first round selection, 28th overall, in the 2006 NHL Draft and was acquired by the Blue Jackets on July 1, 2012. He has notched 190-259-449 and 716 penalty minutes in 877 career NHL games, including 129-172-301 in 526 appearances with Columbus. The Buffalo, New York native recorded 1-1-2 as captain of Team Foligno in the 2015 NHL All-Star Game at Nationwide Arena in Columbus.

3. 2020

Star of first round elimination of Toronto

2-1
1.45 GAA
956 SV %
2 shutouts

core of 4 all in Leafs lineup

4. 2023

led LA Kings to late playoff run going

7-3-1
2.13 GAA
921 SV%

5. Loves Bruce Springsteen & saw him this summer in Helsinki

6. Been in constant with Sorcerer Bob and they are confident going to get him back to the previous successful times

Good to see he’s not the worstest goalie ever Broons folks been telling me

Donny likely stole one here for 3 M (not 4 or 5 I been seeing)

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
The Kings who have needed a goalie forever decided they would rather go with Cam Talbot, David Rittich and Pheonix Copley over re-upping Korpisalo. His quality start average is .488 For context, greater than 60% is good, less than 50% is bad. League average is 53%. His career goals saved above average is -62.5 He's not good. Essensa surely has his work cut out for him.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
The Kings who have needed a goalie forever decided they would rather go with Cam Talbot, David Rittich and Pheonix Copley over re-upping Korpisalo. His quality start average is .488 For context, greater than 60% is good, less than 50% is bad. League average is 53%. His career goals saved above average is -62.5 He's not good. Essensa surely has his work cut out for him.
And now they're paying twice as much for Kuemper whose numbers were pretty identical to Korpisalo last year.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
And now they're paying twice as much for Kuemper whose numbers were pretty identical to Korpisalo last year.
Sure that would make sense, if we ignore the other 356 games of Kuemper's career and instead just look at 1 year.

Kuemper career
2.61 .914 QS% .546 GSAA +42.6

Korpisalo
3.06 .901 .488 -62.5

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Not like that was in a move to dump 7 years and 60 mil of a malecontent.

Plus Kuemper > Korpisalo in a landslide IMO if you are going with one as a starter.

Like I love the Bruins too but can we stop pretending Korpisalo is good because he's on the Bruins now? Hopefully he shines with the new team, coaching and defense, but stop with the "he's actually good" shit? (not saying you are saying that, but people blowing smoke up others asses on him is pretty funny)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sure that would make sense, if we ignore the other 356 games of Kuemper's career and instead just look at 1 year.

Kuemper career
2.61 .914 QS% .546 GSAA +42.6

Korpisalo
3.06 .901 .488 -62.5
Yeah and while we're ignoring things we could ignore that one's in a backup role the others being counted on as a starter.

How far back do we have to go for those two guys #'s to diverge? Edit- just looked it up. They're pretty identical over the last two seasons. Before that and back to the CLB days for Korpisalo there's the rift

Last edited:

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Korpisalo has good tools and makes some really high-quality saves, and having his eyesight will definitely help him, but it's his attention span that is the problem. When he's dialed in he's good, but then all of sudden he's in lalaland and can't stop a beachball. In his first regular season game for us, he also let in a goal over the blocker which he was trying to catch with a reachover glovehand, so his decision-making is also pretty ditzy.

Hopefully for you guys good coaching helps him out.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am choosing the wait and see approach with Korpi. I wasn`t enthralled when Ullmark became a Bruin but with a structured team and goalie Bob to work with, he became a terrific goalie.

Do I think Korpi has what it takes to elevate to Ullmark status? Nope, nor do I feel he`s as awful as many here think he is

Reactions: Over the volcano

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Korpisalo has good tools and makes some really high-quality saves, and having his eyesight will definitely help him, but it's his attention span that is the problem. When he's dialed in he's good, but then all of sudden he's in lalaland and can't stop a beachball. In his first regular season game for us, he also let in a goal over the blocker which he was trying to catch with a reachover glovehand, so his decision-making is also pretty ditzy.

Hopefully for you guys good coaching helps him out.
Not sure how that relates to technical coaching, more mental. That's like saying the guy in your squad that defuses bombs usually does a good job but occasionally spaces out and cuts the wrong wire.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00