Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The money shouldn’t matter. If the Bruins can be in a good playoff position with Swayman playing 50 that’s fantastic. All that matters is the playoffs right?

They can also be in playoff position with him playing 41. Why not go with that?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They can also be in playoff position with him playing 41. Why not go with that?
That would be great if they could pull that off. I don’t think that will be the plan especially early but if Koripsalo comes in and plays like Ullmark wouldn’t that be a good thing?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That would be great if they could pull that off. I don’t think that will be the plan especially early but if Koripsalo comes in and plays like Ullmark wouldn’t that be a good thing?

Sure if they can trade him and rid themselves of his contract but really I don’t care how he plays because he won’t play in the playoffs

I have zero interest in having a top 3 paid backup goalie when we also have a top 5 or so paid #1.

That’s poor cap management

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Other than blind faith in management what makes anyone think Korpisalo will be any good? Again if the answer is goalie Bob, I’ll use the same logic with a cheaper backup and bank the space.

I also find it laughable that people think the Bruins actually wanted him. He was a must take, simple as that and they are in publicity agent mode hoping for the best and saying the right things.

Literally nobody here said “you know who would be a great back up for us? Joonas Korpisalo”. Guessing if he was on Toronto or Florida the yucks would be endless.

I still think they keep Bussi, waive Korpi under the guise Bussi won the job fair and square and pray someone claims him but we will see.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Other than blind faith in management what makes anyone think Korpisalo will be any good? Again if the answer is goalie Bob, I’ll use the same logic with a cheaper backup and bank the space.

I also find it laughable that people think the Bruins actually wanted him. He was a must take, simple as that and they are in publicity agent mode hoping for the best and saying the right things.

Literally nobody here said “you know who would be a great back up for us? Joonas Korpisalo”. Guessing if he was on Toronto or Florida the yucks would be endless.

I still think they keep Bussi, waive Korpi under the guise Bussi won the job fair and square and pray someone claims him but we will see.

Hell when Korpisalo was on Ottawa he used to get bashed in our game day threads.

But now that Sweeney traded for him the Sweeney Weenies love the move and he should get 32 games a year to keep swayman “fresh” from a daunting workload that no one else except for 10 other goalies a year do.

Reactions: Kalus

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Wait…I wasn’t happy with the deal and I’m not saying he’s going to be any good much less Ullmark level. I do, however, understand why they made the deal amid the landscape they had to deal with under what was apparently a well crafted NTC list from Ullmark and an unwillingness to extend. And I understand that keeping Ullmark wasn’t really an option they were contemplating.

Reactions: LouJersey

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Korpisalo would actually be a good add for Toronto. Insulates Woll, comes in at .5 million cheaper than Samsanov last and has much better playoffs numbers.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
it’s like Korpisalo is going to a new school and first day all the cool kids bully him because he spells Joonas with two ‘o’s

#prayin4Jonas

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Bruins have had very good off-season. They've added guys that filled significant holes. With all that, as we sit here today.....the most active thread among all the new guys is this one for Joonas Korprisalo.....our back-up goalie

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The Bruins have had very good off-season. They've added guys that filled significant holes. With all that, as we sit here today.....the most active thread among all the new guys is this one for Joonas Korprisalo.....our back-up goalie

Ehh 95% of the convo should have been in the swayman thread

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In fairness, he could be anywhere from the starter to third string, even fourth string goaltender.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hey guys just wondering how many games you think Korpi starts this year for you? Im hoping he can turn it around for you guys hes a good guy and was blamed for a bad situation in Ottawa.

Thanks!

Reactions: duffy

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Hey guys just wondering how many games you think Korpi starts this year for you? Im hoping he can turn it around for you guys hes a good guy and was blamed for a bad situation in Ottawa.

Thanks!
Touchy subject

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Thanks!
I am guessing Swayman starts around 50 - 55 games. This will be his first season as a sole #1. Korpisalo will get the rest.

Some fans think Bussi might win the backup job over Korpisalo, but I don’t think that is possible. The team made a big commitment to Korpisalo and got a lot of blowback on the deal to get him. They are committed to him and also stuck with him. Nobody is taking that contract on. If they send him to the AHL, they would still have $1.8M or so of his contract on the cap for each of the next 4 fours. It just isn’t happening.

Reactions: DJB

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
lol, when we thought the final year of Reilly's buyout at $1.333m was the last junk to get rid of, Sweeney pulls his signature move and brings in a new junk
seriously, Sweeney is a compulsory junk hoarder and it's not even funny anymore
Senators last year sucked because their goaltending also sucked

an honest question
if Korpisalo was a free agent this offseason
would you sign him among all available goaltenders at $3m?
if yes, would you sign him for 4 years?
if still yes, would you give him 10 team NTC on top of it during all 4 years?

that trade just screams another 1st or 2nd rd pick going out in a cap dump move in 2 years

Reactions: Kalus and Dr Quincy

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
lol, when we thought the final year of Reilly's buyout at $1.333m was the last junk to get rid of, Sweeney pulls his signature move and brings in a new junk
seriously, Sweeney is a compulsory junk hoarder and it's not even funny anymore
Senators last year sucked because their goaltending also sucked

an honest question
if Korpisalo was a free agent this offseason
would you sign him among all available goaltenders at $3m?
if yes, would you sign him for 4 years?
if still yes, would you give him 10 team NTC on top of it during all 4 years?

that trade just screams another 1st or 2nd rd pick going out in a cap dump move in 2 years
I’d sign 2/5 but they got Letourneau & Kastelic

Wizard Bob wanted him

Here to see how plays out

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Hot take( not really because I think a few have said it here) but would anyone be surprised by the end of the season if Korpisalo had better numbers than Ullmark? I actually think it might happen based on the team in front of each guy.

Reactions: JAD

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Hot take( not really because I think a few have said it here) but would anyone be surprised by the end of the season if Korpisalo had better numbers than Ullmark? I actually think it might happen based on the team in front of each guy.
His numbers two years ago split between CLB and LAK are pretty identical to Ullmark last year in Boston

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I know people love to dump on him especially Ottawa fans. But having watched every game he played last year I’ll say he had some amazing games where he looked very very good behind an absolutely horrible defensive team. Yes he does too much in the net at times which leads to both goals and exciting acrobatic saves. He’ll have to be coached properly.

I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t have a good year for you guys considering the structural and personnel upgrades as well as goalie coach B

Don’t want to put extra pressure or expectations on him because he would benefit from a drama free gradual return to form but I think he can get there. At the very least there is potential there, he’s not a definite liability.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Crunching numbers assuming Swayman is signed before season and can get ready quickly if holds out

Korpi
27 starts
18 wins
6 losses
3 OT/SO
930 saves %
2.10 GAA

I am notorious for going low on Bruins point total as a team and player

Likely he’s better behind this D, team, and having Bob & Leach on that side of us and Sacco having a bigger role

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Crunching numbers assuming Swayman is signed before season and can get ready quickly if holds out

Korpi
27 starts
18 wins
6 losses
3 OT/SO
930 saves %
2.10 GAA

Likely he’s better behind this D, team, and having Bob & Leach on that side of us and Sacco having a bigger role
930 save and 2.10 GAA. Let’s go ahead and trade Swayman for Necas ++ and ride Korpi to the cup.

I’ll go with 905-910 save percentage and a 2.6 GAA. Fine for a backup but a half goal per game worse than your prediction and a much more pedestrian save percentage.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany

Korpi
27 starts
18 wins
6 losses
3 OT/SO
930 saves %
2.10 GAA

I finally see it. Bruins fleeced Ottawa in giving them Korpisalo. When will we built the monument for Donald Sweeney?

930 save and 2.10 GAA. Let’s go ahead and trade Swayman for Necas ++ and ride Korpi to the cup.

I’ll go with 905-910 save percentage and a 2.6 GAA. Fine for a backup but a half goal per game worse than your prediction and a much more pedestrian save percentage.

What are the odds of Korpisalo winning the Vezina? I will go and spend my life savings on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00