Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Of the 26 skaters that played 150 minutes, half had a xGF% over 50%.

17 had a positive on ice goals %. Only two key players didn’t (Coyle and Carlo) while the other 7 were bottom liners (Forbort, Peeke, Wotherspoon, Lauko, Maroon, Beecher, Steen).

Corsi isn’t the stat you want to use to analyze teams effectiveness - the Hurricanes would be top every year because they huck everything at the net. Last year Philly, New Jersey, and Nashville were all top 10 in Corsi. Bruins were 24th. Vegas 21st. Rangers 19th.

In 22-23 Bruins were 15th. Vegas was 22nd.
If you look at the team rankings, 5 on 5 for xGF% the B's were 18th in the league. Carolina was 2nd.

The Bruins were 2nd overall (to VAN) in PDO which is exactly the point Celly Hard was saying: The B's were outplayed but overachieved due to having the 3rd highest sv% in the league and the 4th highest shooting % in the league. Their actual GF% was 56%. Their xGF% was 50%.

There's reason to think that their save % will still be high this year (but probably not as high as last year due to the starts Korpisalo or Bussi will get) and its possible that their SH% will be sustainable.

But a dip in both could be a problem.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I look at Red Sox and Patriots fans as "spoiled". No way you can apply that to Bruins fans IMO, in any capacity
By end results (championships), definitely not.

I'll stand by saying that that we've been spoiled for goalies. Other than maybe the Rangers or Preds, no one has had it better. Much more discussion and worry by B's fans over that position than has been warranted the last 20 years, IMO.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
They have that 2 mil, plus another 775k when they ditch Vinni....added to say 500k left after Swayman (if he gets 8mil say)

That's 3.25 mil right there that will grow before the deadline. No issue to not add now but if things don't work out with your forwards, you want to be able to upgrade later
Ah that's fair, I'm thinking too short term here.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
You are pre-supposing the expensive back up the Bruins acquired is good. He isn't. If the argument is "He will be better on the Bruins" then that argument has to be applied to every other goalie they could have brought in cheaper.

I like the Bruins leadership but it seems year after year they always have a few garbage contracts that stand in the way of doing something else or paying a premium to get other players by including these guys. Always a hole that they can't/won't/don't fill later on.

Still early and all that, but I think these could be valid concerns
I feel like you are looking at this from a lens as if the Bruins system and coaching could make any goaltender better then why not just bring in someone super cheap and make them good but that's a serious stretch.

Those cheap, other options may broken, old, or just flat out bad.

A lot of people are saying Korpisalo may be better on the Bruins because management seems to have confidence they can correct his game.

That does not mean they can fix any goaltender.

Korpisalo is athletic and has shown some brilliant stretches. He can make some incredible saves. If management feels like he can rebound here, I feel like we should give them the benefit of the doubt. They kind of have a good track record in this area.

I absolutely hated the Ullmark signing when it happened. I wanted them to just 50/50 split Swayman and Vladar for super cheap lol but little did I know they found a Vezina winner.

All I'm saying is give this some time he may surprise us.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I feel like you are looking at this from a lens as if the Bruins system and coaching could make any goaltender better then why not just bring in someone super cheap and make them good but that's a serious stretch.

A lot of people are saying Korpisalo may be better on the Bruins because management seems to have confidence they can correct his game.

Korpisalo is athletic and has shown some brilliant stretches. He can make some incredible saves. If management feels like he can rebound here, I feel like we should give them the benefit of the doubt. They kind of have a good track record in this area.

I absolutely hated the Ullmark signing when it happened. I wanted them to just 50/50 split Swayman and Vladar for super cheap lol but little did I know they found a Vezina winner.

It’s roughly 25games. Samsonov is signing for $1.8m as a former starter with extremely similar numbers as korpisalo. Or guys like Desmith who is a very serviceable career backup for $1m AAV.

Just unnecessary to take on an AAV and term of 4 years like that when there was plenty of other viable options going for 40%-70% cheaper for 25 games.

Reactions: EverettMike

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Bussi is getting the Vladar treatment for sure - the only difference is that Korpisalo is being brought in to be a backup rather than a starter.

Surprising to me too that Swayman is younger than Bussi.

Reactions: CellyHard

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
It’s roughly 25games. Samsonov is signing for $1.8m as a former starter with extremely similar numbers as korpisalo. Or guys like Desmith who is a very serviceable career backup for $1m AAV.

Just unnecessary to take on an AAV and term of 4 years like that when there was plenty of other viable options going for 40%-70% cheaper for 25 games.
I don't believe management thinks he's a similar caliber player as Samsonov or any other back-up. This is the point I'm trying to emphasis.

I think they believe he is better. I think they see something in him if it's either an improvement on mental focus, a mechanical issue or maybe his particular game as a better fit in our system. Maybe a combination of it all. Who knows.

If Korpisalo puts up a SV% under .900 and a GAA above 3, then I agree this would be an utter failure because you could have just grabbed someone at 1m in FA and be all set.

But if Samsonov puts up his career numbers at nearly 2m and Korpisalo puts up numbers from his Kings day (long shot but he could get close) then you are talking about a MAJOR difference in value between these players.

Korpi ends up becoming a steal at his cap hit

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't believe management thinks he's a similar caliber player as Samsonov or any other back-up. This is the point I'm trying to emphasis.

I think they believe he is better. I think they see something in him if it's either an improvement on mental focus, a mechanical issue or maybe his particular game as a better fit in our system. Maybe a combination of it all. Who knows.

If Korpisalo puts up a SV% under .900 and a GAA above 3, then I agree this would be an utter failure because you could have just grabbed someone at 1m in FA and be all set.

But if Samsonov puts up his career numbers at nearly 2m and Korpisalo puts up numbers from his Kings day (long shot but he could get close) then you are talking about a MAJOR difference in value between these players.

Korpi ends up becoming a steal at his cap hit

I don’t think it has anything to do with how they view korpisalo. I think it has everything to do with them making that move so they could fit in Lindholm/Zadorov and they didn’t have much of a back up plan.

It’s nearly impossible he becomes a steal as a $3m cap hit unless swayman is injured.

He’s going to play 25 games if swayman is healthy.

It’s an utter travesty if any goalie with half a pulse has a below .900 save percentage with this defense. On top of it playing against the lower competition in the league because swayman will get the tougher games.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I don’t think it has anything to do with how they view korpisalo. I think it has everything to do with them making that move so they could fit in Lindholm/Zadorov and they didn’t have much of a back up plan.

It’s nearly impossible he becomes a steal as a $3m cap hit unless swayman is injured.

He’s going to play 25 games if swayman is healthy.

It’s an utter travesty if any goalie with half a pulse has a below .900 save percentage with this defense. On top of it playing against the lower competition in the league because swayman will get the tougher games.
Say what? They could have just easily dumped Ullmark if they wanted the space. If anything, they did this cause they wanted that 1st round pick and had their eyes set on Letourneau

I feel like it would also be a pretty big jump for Swayman to go from 43 games to 57. That would put him in the top five amongst goalies last year for games started.

My bet is 50 for Sway, 32 for Korpi but I guess I wouldn't rule it out it. Regardless those games are really important.

The Bruins simply rely too much on quality goaltending to win games and it's clearly something management values highly.

And don't get me wrong, the defense is solid. With the addition of Zadorov and Lohrei full time it could be really good but last year they let up a lot of high danger shots 5v5. Bottom half of the league.

You could say those additions bring them to average (maybe above average) for what its worth

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Say what? They could have just easily dumped Ullmark if they wanted the space. If anything, they did this cause they wanted that 1st round pick and had their eyes set on Letourneau

I feel like it would also be a pretty big jump for Swayman to go from 43 games to 57. That would put him in the top five amongst goalies last year for games started.

My bet is 50 for Sway, 32 for Korpi but I guess I wouldn't rule it out it. Regardless those games are really important.

The Bruins simply rely too much on quality goaltending to win games and it's clearly something management values highly.

And don't get me wrong, the defense is solid. With the addition of Zadorov and Lohrei full time it could be really good but last year they let up a lot of high danger shots 5v5. Bottom half of the league.

You could say those additions bring them to average (maybe above average) for what its worth

He’s about to be roughly a top 5 paid goalie. He should be playing as much. Playing him 50 games would be tied for 18th in the league in games played.

Idk why you would pay a goalie top 5 money and play him less games than almost 2/3 other #1 goalies

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He’s about to be roughly a top 5 paid goalie. He should be playing as much. Playing him 50 games would be tied for 18th in the league in games played.

Idk why you would pay a goalie top 5 money and play him less games than almost 2/3 other #1 goalies
Because you want him to be fresh for the playoffs? And they only play him that little if Korpisalo is playing well

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Because you want him to be fresh for the playoffs? And they only play him that little if Korpisalo is playing well

He’s 25/26 years old, he could play 65 games and still be fresh for the playoffs.

You don’t pay someone top 5 goalie money and give him less games than more than half the league.

Bobrovsky is 35 years old with two years in a row making it to the cup while playing 58 regular season games. Swayman should be playing that as well.

At that point they should have just kept Ullmark instead of swayman.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He’s 25/26 years old, he could play 65 games and still be fresh for the playoffs.

You don’t pay someone top 5 goalie money and give him less games than more than half the league.

Bobrovsky is 35 years old with two years in a row making it to the cup while playing 58 regular season games. Swayman should be playing that as well.

At that point they should have just kept Ullmark instead of swayman.
I don't really see the same downside as you, I don't care if he's 25 or 42, or if I'm paying him 10 mil or 2 mil, if you can make the playoffs while keeping him fresh it's going to be a big help come round 3/4. For a guy who says cup wins over everything else, I'm surprised you don't agree

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't really see the same downside as you, I don't care if he's 25 or 42, or if I'm paying him 10 mil or 2 mil, if you can make the playoffs while keeping him fresh it's going to be a big help come round 3/4. For a guy who says cup wins over everything else, I'm surprised you don't agree

I’m just stunned that you think 55+ games means he won’t be fresh.

Bobrovsky is 35 playing 58 games in the regular season in between two cup finals and won the most recent.

I have zero concerns about about swayman being fresh due to him playing 55+ games during the regular season which 1/3 of the goalies in the league currently do.

I’d play swayman 60 games without a concern in the world.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Bobrovsky is 35 playing 58 games in the regular season in between two cup finals and won the most recent.

I have zero concerns about about swayman being fresh due to him playing 55+ games during the regular season which 1/3 of the goalies in the league currently do.

This season I'd aim for 55 (at most), just because his previous high is 44. That's a lot of extra games for someone who hasn't had to carry a starter's workload just yet.

But once he's done that I'm also fine with him getting up to 60.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

It's not that he won't be fresh, but the more fresh he is the better no? I think he'll be fine if he plays 60 or 40, but I would still aim to give him less if possible.

Bob is more an outlier than the norm I would think. Hill won the year prior with 27 games.

Kuemper played 57 but he also sucked during that run and was overtaken by Francouz before he got hurt, and even

Vasi only played 42 and 52 the prior years, and has statistically been much worse in the playoffs in seasons where he played 60.

To add, Hellebuyck's best playoff run statistically is the year he played 45 games.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It's not that he won't be fresh, but the more fresh he is the better no? I think he'll be fine if he plays 60 or 40, but I would still aim to give him less if possible

I’d rather swayman play 57 games, desmith play 25 at $1m AAV and have the extra $2m to play with either in the offseason or even more favorably at the deadline when it’s pro-rated.

I’d prefer to have as much money as possible going to guys actually playing playoff games.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I’d rather swayman play 57 games, desmith play 25 at $1m AAV and have the extra $2m to play with either in the offseason or even more favorably at the deadline when it’s pro-rated.

I’d prefer to have as much money as possible going to guys actually playing playoff games.
That's great but I'm not talking about spending money, I'm talking about keeping your starter fresh. I edited my above post elaborating more but you beat me to it

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
goalie Bob likes him
He made an ASG
He shut out Leafs 2X in playoffs
I’m no goalie expert

Odds are in his favor

Exciting we can see how unfolds next month

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
goalie Bob likes him
He made an ASG
He shut out Leafs 2X in playoffs
I’m no goalie expert

Odds are in his favor

Exciting we can see how unfolds next month

This being one of your points in favor of him is more damning than anything anyone else has said against him.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
That's great but I'm not talking about spending money, I'm talking about keeping your starter fresh. I edited my above post elaborating more but you beat me to it

A 25/26 year old goalie should be plenty fresh playing 57 games and if he’s not, he has conditioning/inury problems and isn’t worth top 15 goalie money, nevermind top 10 or top 5.

Reactions: NDiesel

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A 25/26 year old goalie should be plenty fresh playing 57 games and if he’s not, he has conditioning/inury problems and isn’t worth top 15 goalie money, nevermind top 10 or top 5.
This is just silly. Swayman could most likely play all 82. But that’s not a good idea. What’s the obsession with pushing him to play as many games as possible?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This is just silly. Swayman could most likely play all 82. But that’s not a good idea. What’s the obsession with pushing him to play as many games as possible?

The silly part of this is thinking 57 games is too much for a 25/26 year old professional goalie

I never said play him 82 games. Please show me where I said that.

I said if he’s going to be paid roughly top 5 money he should be playing roughly top 5 amount of games.

It’s being suggested he play 50 which would be bottom half the league.

57 isn’t an unreasonable amount of games at all. It’s on par with what he is asking to be paid.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The silly part of this is thinking 57 games is too much for a 25/26 year old professional goalie

I never said play him 82 games. Please show me where I said that.

I said if he’s going to be paid roughly top 5 money he should be playing roughly top 5 amount of games.

It’s being suggested he play 50 which would be bottom half the league.

57 isn’t an unreasonable amount of games at all. It’s on par with what he is asking to be paid.
The money shouldn’t matter. If the Bruins can be in a good playoff position with Swayman playing 50 that’s fantastic. All that matters is the playoffs right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad