Player Discussion Joonas Korpisalo

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
They talk about Korpi giving them saves.
Did the Sens not allow a goal on the first shot a lot last year? hahah

Either way, hope he rebounds and can be a solid backup in Boston. Rooting for the guy.
Again Bruins have no concern in net.
And they will be back to the play offs once again.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Cam Talbot had a .898 SV% in Ottawa two years ago and then went to the Kings and played to a .913

Korpisalo had a .890 SV% last in Ottawa and a .921 two years ago with the Kings

Ottawa is rough for goalies
Just to add Talbot just signed for 2.5 mil, 500k less than what we are paying Korpi.

Reactions: CellyHard

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I feel like if it ended up just being Ullmark for a 1st + Kastelic and then signing Talbot, there wouldn't be nearly as much uproar

3 million a year for him seems like standard "really good back-up money"

Term is lengthy
Yeah for me it's the term that sucks, especially given his injury history.

Money wise he's getting what any good backup would be getting

Reactions: CellyHard

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Sure, if you ignore the last 6 games he played that year in the playoffs, when he had a sv% of .892, or if you ignore his most 55 games when he had a sv% of .890 or if you ignore the season before he one you are talking about when he had a sv% of .877 or the season before that when it was .894.

Yes, when you look at one stretch of 39 games, he can be a decent player. You just have to ignore the other 170.
That .892 in 6 games was as an underdog seed vs the by far number one offence in the league and he still put up better numbers than Ullmark’s career numbers. His playoff before he put up a higher save percentage than Rask or Thomas ever did for us. Just saying the dude has had flashes despite playing on a bunch of crappy teams and it would not surprise me to see him rebound to the .914 goalie he was just a year ago.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Our goalie situation is in shambles

I miss Thomas & Rask

Thanks Donny
I think there were more than a few people who thought the position was in shambles back when they were playing too.

We gotta be the most, or at least top 3, spoiled fanbase as far as goaltending goes the last 2 decades.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
There's a Grand Canyon sized-gap between "a good backup" and "a backup we hope/think might be good."
Right, and if he rebounds and has a solid year he's paid appropriately.

And if he has a bad year I'm sure we'll be right back here bitching about it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Just email me Lonnie.

Do you still have it or should I send it to you again?
Be careful brother, you get get some "selfies"

I think there were more than a few people who thought the position was in shambles back when they were playing too.

We gotta be the most, or at least top 3, spoiled fanbase as far as goaltending goes the last 2 decades.
I look at Red Sox and Patriots fans as "spoiled". No way you can apply that to Bruins fans IMO, in any capacity

Reactions: DominicT

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
There's a Grand Canyon sized-gap between "a good backup" and "a backup we hope/think might be good."
Also "good salary for a back up" to me doesn't make much sense when he's top 3 in backup salaries. A good backup salary is the 1 mil the Stars are paying DeSmith, or if you want to go high end look at Stolarz and his 2.5 mil who is actually worth the money.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Sounds like a lot of justification to defend their actions.

I would bet heavily that Korpisalo was more from the Ottawa side. The 1st was their target.

"You can have a first, but we need you to take Korpisalo too"
Agree with points 1and 3.

Regarding point 2, they either wanted Korpisalo, or Ottawa insisted that Boston take him in the trade, in order for them to include the first rounder. If Linus had agreed to an extension b/f the trade, then the return would have been higher.
It’s both that Ottawa wanted to rid themselves of Korpisalo which would (theoretically) leave them more space to sign Ullmark when/if the time comes AND that Sweeney saw Korpisalo as an asset.

Cost of taking on money (if Sweeney thought it was BAD money) would have been the first round pick. He knows. He’s been on the other side of that deal multiple times. So if he didn’t want Korpisalo and simply swallowed the contract, he would have agreed to essentially an Ullmark for Kastelic swap.

That doesn’t make sense.

If it’s an attempt to justify the trade, it’s not my intent.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Also "good salary for a back up" to me doesn't make much sense when he's top 3 in backup salaries. A good backup salary is the 1 mil the Stars are paying DeSmith, or if you want to go high end look at Stolarz and his 2.5 mil who is actually worth the money.
Did you happen to see my post about the Bruins 5v5 stats? It's very alarming. Only Pasta and H. Lindholm had a Corsi over 50% amongst regular skaters.

Stars had 20 players

I think it may be tough for people to admit but if you take away goaltending and just look at skaters, Bruins were a very very average team last year...maybe even below average in terms of talent.

They require elite goaltending to win games and make the playoffs. Other teams don't. Oilers don't. Avs don't. Leafs don't. They are constructed completely different and the Stars fall in a similar position where they don't need to make a big investment in a backup goaltender. They are kind of loaded.

I'm not going to argue what strategy or system is better but whether we like it or not, this is the Bruins identity. They have some tough to play against guys, good coaching, a very structured system and great goaltending that gives them a chance to win any night.

I don't think they have the luxury based on the identity of the team to rely on Bussi making the jump or taking a stab on a million dollar guy.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Did you happen to see my post about the Bruins 5v5 stats? It's very alarming. Only Pasta and H. Lindholm had a Corsi over 50% amongst regular skaters.

Stars had 20 players

I think it may be tough for people to admit but if you take away goaltending and just look at skaters, Bruins were a very very average team last year...maybe even below average in terms of talent.

They require elite goaltending to win games and make the playoffs. Other teams don't. Oilers don't. Avs don't. Leafs don't. They are constructed completely different and the Stars fall in a similar position where they don't need to make a big investment in a backup goaltender. They are kind of loaded.

I'm not going to argue what strategy or system is better but whether we like it or not, this is the Bruins identity. They have some tough to play against guys, good coaching, a very structured system and great goaltending that gives them a chance to win any night.

I don't think they have the luxury based on the identity of the team to rely on Bussi making the jump or taking a stab on a million dollar guy.
Of the 26 skaters that played 150 minutes, half had a xGF% over 50%.

17 had a positive on ice goals %. Only two key players didn’t (Coyle and Carlo) while the other 7 were bottom liners (Forbort, Peeke, Wotherspoon, Lauko, Maroon, Beecher, Steen).

Corsi isn’t the stat you want to use to analyze teams effectiveness - the Hurricanes would be top every year because they huck everything at the net. Last year Philly, New Jersey, and Nashville were all top 10 in Corsi. Bruins were 24th. Vegas 21st. Rangers 19th.

In 22-23 Bruins were 15th. Vegas was 22nd.

Reactions: BBruins

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Just to further the point a touch - here are the top 14 players in Corsi last year (minimum 500 minutes). Notice anything?

IMG_3496.png

Reactions: BlackFrancis

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Stars had 20 players

You are pre-supposing the expensive back up the Bruins acquired is good. He isn't. If the argument is "He will be better on the Bruins" then that argument has to be applied to every other goalie they could have brought in cheaper.

I like the Bruins leadership but it seems year after year they always have a few garbage contracts that stand in the way of doing something else or paying a premium to get other players by including these guys. Always a hole that they can't/won't/don't fill later on.

Still early and all that, but I think these could be valid concerns

Reactions: EverettMike

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You are pre-supposing the expensive back up the Bruins acquired is good. He isn't. If the argument is "He will be better on the Bruins" then that argument has to be applied to every other goalie they could have brought in cheaper.

I like the Bruins leadership but it seems year after year they always have a few garbage contracts that stand in the way of doing something else or paying a premium to get other players by including these guys. Always a hole that they can't/won't/don't fill later on.

Still early and all that, but I think these could be valid concerns
Who are they getting to fill 2nd line RW with that extra 2 mil from going with Bussi instead of Korpisalo, that isn't just another Geekie slotted in the top 6 when they should be bottom 6?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Who are they getting to fill 2nd line RW with that extra 2 mil from going with Bussi instead of Korpisalo, that isn't just another Geekie slotted in the top 6 when they should be bottom 6?
They have that 2 mil, plus another 775k when they ditch Vinni....added to say 500k left after Swayman (if he gets 8mil say)

That's 3.25 mil right there that will grow before the deadline. No issue to not add now but if things don't work out with your forwards, you want to be able to upgrade later

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Why would Sweeney want a guy making basically the same as Ullmark on a 5 year deal who’s the worst goalie in the league

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
It’s both that Ottawa wanted to rid themselves of Korpisalo which would (theoretically) leave them more space to sign Ullmark when/if the time comes AND that Sweeney saw Korpisalo as an asset.

Cost of taking on money (if Sweeney thought it was BAD money) would have been the first round pick. He knows. He’s been on the other side of that deal multiple times. So if he didn’t want Korpisalo and simply swallowed the contract, he would have agreed to essentially an Ullmark for Kastelic swap.

That doesn’t make sense.

If it’s an attempt to justify the trade, it’s not my intent.
I wasn't implying that at all. To get the 1st round pick, Ottawa likely wanted Sweeney to agree to take Korpisalo instead of Forsberg. Who knows, and who knows whether Sweeney him as an asset.

And no, I didn't interpret your post that you were justifying the trade. Yes, the cost of taking the money was the first round pick. Ullmark for only Kastelic would have sent the fans to the Gahden with pitchforks and torches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad