Proposal: Joonas Korpisalo to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Anyone looking for a solid backup goalie ?

He’s currently recovering from a flu and is on the last year of his contract (UFA).

I believe a mid to a mid - lower round pick will do the wonders

Gimli

Jun 4, 2019
I’d target Korpisalo to the Sabres with a mid round pick if and only if he is willing to sign a 2-year extension around his current salary.

I don’t think it would be a popular move with Sabres fans, but here’s why I’d do it:

1. This year and next year are make-or-break years for Ukko Pekka Luukkonen. He will likely be up with the Sabres full time next year. Korpisalo gives him a Finnish mentor to ease the transition.

2. Korpisalo is not awesome but he is a solid NHL goaltender, and the Sabres have none of those now (Anderson injured month to month, Tokarski flashes at times but belongs in AHL, Dell and Subban belong in AHL).

3. Sabres need a bridge goalie for the next 2 years to make sure UPL, Portillo, and Levi are not rushed.

Reactions: banks

member 334057

I’d target Korpisalo to the Sabres with a mid round pick if and only if he is willing to sign a 2-year extension around his current salary.

I don’t think it would be a popular move with Sabres fans, but here’s why I’d do it:

1. This year and next year are make-or-break years for Ukko Pekka Luukkonen. He will likely be up with the Sabres full time next year. Korpisalo gives him a Finnish mentor to ease the transition.

2. Korpisalo is not awesome but he is a solid NHL goaltender, and the Sabres have none of those now (Anderson injured month to month, Tokarski flashes at times but belongs in AHL, Dell and Subban belong in AHL).

3. Sabres need a bridge goalie for the next 2 years to make sure UPL, Portillo, and Levi are not rushed.
Personally I'd steer clear. I don't see him as any real upgrade over Tokarski. He put up decent numbers under Torts 2 years ago, but was still outperformed by Merzlikins by a wide margin. Sub .900 save% 4 of the last 5 years. We can get that level of play from Tokarski already.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
In Colorado Darcy Kuemper has a concussion and Pavel Francouz will return from his conditioning stint soon, but Francouz hasn't played since 2020 due to multiple hip injuries.

It could all work out but so far the Avalanche are 31st in SV%. If Kuemper is out long term and Francouz can't stay healthy - or can't regain his form - I could see Colorado going to the Columbus Blue Jackets "well" for the 10,000th time... (Murray, Johnson, Saad, Calvert, Cole, Tynan, Connauton, Brassard, Comeau... I could keep going, but you get the idea).

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
In Colorado Darcy Kuemper has a concussion and Pavel Francouz will return from his conditioning stint soon, but Francouz hasn't played since 2020 due to multiple hip injuries.

It could all work out but so far the Avalanche are 31st in SV%. If Kuemper is out long term and Francouz can't stay healthy - or can't regain his form - I could see Colorado going to the Columbus Blue Jackets "well" for the 10,000th time... (Murray, Johnson, Saad, Calvert, Cole, Tynan, Connauton, Brassard, Comeau... I could keep going, but you get the idea).

Even if Keumper isn't out long term, I'm struggling to trust Francouz to stay healthy at this point and would probably pull the trigger anyway, assuming the price is right. There are worse problems than having too many capable goalies, especially for a team like the Avs that can't ever seem to have everyone healthy.

Reactions: banks and shadow1

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He’s decent enough to perform as a backup goalie on most teams. Whether he’s re-signed or let go after this year will depend on his performance so there’s not much risk for the buyer
Are there many teams looking to spend assets on a backup though? Usually if a UFA goalie is traded, its because he's either good enough to be a significant upgrade for a cup run, or a team wants to re-sign him longer term before he gets to UFA status. I don't think Korpisalo fits in either of those. Not saying its impossible, but I don't know who will want him. Dallas is already discovering that trading backup goalies is hard.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Are there many teams looking to spend assets on a backup though? Usually if a UFA goalie is traded, its because he's either good enough to be a significant upgrade for a cup run, or a team wants to re-sign him longer term before he gets to UFA status. I don't think Korpisalo fits in either of those. Not saying its impossible, but I don't know who will want him. Dallas is already discovering that trading backup goalies is hard.

As an Avs fan, I know there's at least one team that could use a backup who can at least stay healthy. I'd give up a 3rd if it means we won't have Johannson or Annunen in net in the playoffs.

Reactions: Fro and Linds

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Leafs, Rangers, Avs should be interested for a backup.

Sabres, Coyotes for a potential starter lol.

Probably, but not Korpi. Georgiev has actually played fairly well the last 2 games since Shesty went out, but both were against Chicago. Let's see what happens tonight against Colorado (assuming he gets the start).

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Leafs, Rangers, Avs should be interested for a backup.

Sabres, Coyotes for a potential starter lol.
The leafs have too many goalies, why we need another meh one we can’t afford??

unless we are trading mrazek we don’t have space forkorpi unless he can play wing lol

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
after years of sitting behind Bob and now watching Elvis get a new contract, there is no player in the league who would benefit from an opportunity with a new organization.

If a pick is coming back I think a 3rd is very reasonable

Reactions: Gimli and YP44

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
reading this seems like to Colorado for a 3rd makes sense

It makes a lot of sense but do they even have the cap space? Korpi has a $2.8m cap hit.

I think if the Jackets retain half then Korpi might be worth a 2nd round pick, and if they don't retain anything then he isn't worth anything.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It makes a lot of sense but do they even have the cap space? Korpi has a $2.8m cap hit.

I think if the Jackets retain half then Korpi might be worth a 2nd round pick, and if they don't retain anything then he isn't worth anything.
No GM is giving up a 2nd Rd pick for Korpisalo

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No GM is giving up a 2nd Rd pick for Korpisalo

Perhaps not, I don't know, but don't forget his .941 save percentage in 9 games in the playoffs. If my memory is right that was only about 15 months ago. I don't think anyone is buying him for his regular season play, obviously. This is about a playoff run.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Perhaps not, I don't know, but don't forget his .941 save percentage in 9 games in the playoffs. If my memory is right that was only about 15 months ago. I don't think anyone is buying him for his regular season play, obviously. This is about a playoff run.

It seems like his reputation has been riding off that one playoff run ever since.

His play the rest of his career outside of those 9 games indicates a mediocre goaltender.

Reactions: Jovavic and shadow1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad